Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Why do you feel Pandaria was childish?

I should note I'm not asking this so people can flame each other, start arguments, or be downright rude. Friendly debates are welcome, but I encourage people to be civil to one another, because this is just a game we're talking about. This is a genuine question.

What about Mists of Pandaria was childish, in your opinion? I simply don't see it, to be honest. Was it how the Pandaren looked? Was it the messages of balance and harmony? Was it the way Pandaria looked/the Asian theme? Overall, what didn't you like about it?

If you felt the opposite, why did you feel that way, then? What about it was equally or more hardcore than other expansions? What did you like about it overall?

Mod-Note: Taken the freedom to place a lock on this thread, it is at some pages a little too volatile and too less outcome of a constructive discussion.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-11-12 at 07:57 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I don't see it as childish either, those that do seem to hate pandas have some serious issues that need to be resolved through professional help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not feel it was childish. Some dark themes abounded there.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    [B]What about Mists of Pandaria was childish, in your opinion?
    I didn’t find the gameplay childish at all, MoP was one of the best expansions!

I did find people childish relating MoP to Kung fu Panda… even today.

Because cutesy kung fu pandas and pokemon and asian anime don't belong in my dark and gritty demon and undead filled manly mmo!

On a serious note, I didn't find it childish at all. The only thing I found childish was the reactions of those who echoed my sarcastic first sentence, only they were serious about it.

i dont think its so much that it was childish, but that a completely unoriginal art style was used and looks like it was ripped off of a disney movie

Quote Originally Posted by FissionZero View Post
    I don't see it as childish either, those that do seem to hate pandas have some serious issues that need to be resolved through professional help.
    what's the best way to kill a pandaren?

push a keg off a cliff and convince them they can save it

Deleted
    It just was..

But I personally didn't like MoP because I didn't care for the Asian setting, the pandas, minipets .. and there was very little in this expansion that interested me. It was targeting a different audience.

Nothing really childish tbh.

But I'm still thrown off that a developer's joke for WC3 turns out to be cannon. In the very end, I felt that pandas should have remained as the Brewfest mascots. Now we could probably have an XPac based on Greatfather Winter, helping him against a Sargeras scheme to ruin all childrens' hopes and dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kung fu panda was like a troll comment that kinda became out of hand, that's how people started to hate it.
    I also disliked MoP at start, not going to lie it looked childish it really felt childish, over the time when we saw more from the beta i started to like it, and i still play so far.
    And i will play WoD too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

It's not really childish at all. It's bright on the outside, but it's really dark on the inside. One of the best expansions (and stories) Blizz has come out with yet, IMO.

I enjoyed this expansion a lot more than cataclysm. I especially liked the dailies where you were told a little bit more of the story as you gained reputation with the new faction. And I like the timeless isle etc .

I believe most of the people who thought it was childish were the ones who already had a negative view of the expansion before it was released. Simply because they heard the word pandas.

My main non-gameplay problem is the design for Pandaren. They could have been made to look at least somewhat fierce, but instead went with cute and cuddly and fat. The females were okay, but hugh, the males.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't feel that it was to be honest. A lot of people on here whined about pandas but I felt that MoP had more legitimate story line than some of the others. The whole theme was about conflict both external and internal. I liked the majority of the expansion minus the shitty dailies and having to grind dailies for rep for every faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt like the majority of the hate came from the same crowd of people that hate anything Asian. I don't think the Pandaren are any less childish than Tauren or Worgen. I enjoyed Pandaria and the different species living there, especially the Mantid really liked their character design. My gripe with MoP was the grindfest it became and all of the gating that we got throughout the expansion. I think the way Cataclysm was during Dragon Soul was the best design in terms of catch-up even if the raid was horrible. The lack of 5-man dungeons, replaced by boring scenarios and places like Timeless Isle are the reason I quit WoW during the x-pac. Not because of Pandas.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Because I didn't like how the Dread Wastes catered to all the kiddies with their kung-fu mantid joke race and silly elements. Seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's a video game, so really it's not childish at all, if you think of it like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The expansion itself wasn't really that childish as far as themes go, but I was really put off by the Pandaren like a lot of people. They're just a silly, goofy looking race, and we're somehow honestly expected to take them seriously as the figurehead race for the expansion? I find that a tad insulting. It's like having a WWII drama about Nazi's and concentration camps and magical cutesy purple ponies and then calling it My Little Auschwitz. "Hey, there are really serious things happening in this movie! Nevermind the stars all being magical ponies with cute hair! It's serious!"
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    It just was.

Kung Fu pandas.
    You made me laugh!

*applaud*

I think the playful elements that typically work in WoW, didn't really fit well with the Pandaren because they almost felt like they were not serious to begin with.

Seeing a serious character be not serious I.E the quest in Hillsbrad where that orc thinks he is drowning in 3 feet of water (similar to Little John from robin hood) is funny and amusing. Seeing a character that is never seemingly serious is not as interesting.

It is like Jar Jar Binks, nothing about it was amusing because it was always the same thing. And that's how I felt about the portrayal of the majority of Pandarens, just never serious and not meant to be taken seriously in any respect.

That being said that story was quite dark and I enjoyed it. Particulary the 5.0 content, 5.2 was pretty boring given trolls and gloomy Quake style color palettes for everything.

Also Lorewalker Cho was even more annoying than Brann Bronzebeard which was an amazing accomplishment.