Thread: Garrison Idea?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Garrison Idea?

When they announced Garrison at Blizzcon, I was pretty excited (Tbh I'm absolutely hyped about WoD, have 0 complaints. The expansion feels very Warcraft-esque to me). However, since there isn't really any way to contact Blizzard right now (every form of communication is closed on the website last I looked), so I thought I'd bounce the idea off y'all first.

What if the Garrison was account/realm wide? Meaning I see my own characters in my Garrison, strolling about, doing their thing. Since I have a character who is a Blacksmith, I'd imagine she could be (or is alongside) my Blacksmithing follower. I've always viewed my characters as a kind of group or band, so in my mind it made more sense to have a "base" for all of them, instead of all of them having their own.

Of course this might mess with people who view their characters differently (I can think of RPers who might go 'No, this alt is a loner and thus wouldn't make sense for him to be there'), but maybe Blizzard could have an option for it. I personally kind of squee thinking of being in my Garrison, leveling my profession or frolicking in general and seeing my priest wander by.

If y'all forsee any other issues, please let me know and maybe we can flesh the idea out to make more sense or be more logically sound.

Or I dunno, tell me its terrible and throw things at me.
    Please don't aim for the face.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, these boards are moving fast.

This was brought up in the Q&A.

They said they'd not thought about it. They knew that garrisons won't be alt friendly, and that they'd have to address this somehow, so "alts as followers" might make it live.

Deleted
    I think if it like swtor when your in your spaceship you can send loads of pets out to do missions and send them out constantly with no quest limit it will be nice but It would be a lot better time spent on other things that a big village/garrison that no1 else can see

i dont have any complaints other then its going to be annoying for people with alts(like me). i do have a question though. did they state at what lvl we get our garrison?

My wife and I were talking about this as soon as they announced Garrisons and followers.

Personally I would love it if my 9 other 90s could chill in my garrison and be used as followers.

I was thinking there is probably a cap on how many followers you can have. If they made it so your alts could exceed the cap would give people a reason to level alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    My wife and I were talking about this as soon as they announced Garrisons and followers.

Personally I would love it if my 9 other 90s could chill in my garrison and be used as followers.

I was thinking there is probably a cap on how many followers you can have. If they made it so your alts could exceed the cap would give people a reason to level alts.
    alts will have their own garrison

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    This was brought up in the Q&A.

They said they'd not thought about it. They knew that garrisons won't be alt friendly, and that they'd have to address this somehow, so "alts as followers" might make it live.
    It'd be super neat. Though at least they can make the Garrison account-wide, even if Alts as Followers proves too hard to do at launch.

But then that brings up an interesting comparison. People have been asking for a form of Paragon Leveling for alts, and ToR has a system known as Legacy that unites your characters....

Could Garrisons become WoW's Legacy System?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It'd be super neat. Though at least they can make the Garrison account-wide, even if Alts as Followers proves too hard to do at launch.

But then that brings up an interesting comparison. People have been asking for a form of Paragon Leveling for alts, and ToR has a system known as Legacy that unites your characters....

Could Garrisons become WoW's Legacy System?
    Sorry but, what is a Paragon Leveling/Legacy system?

And thank you Tya, I must've missed that. I'm glad it was already brought to their attention though!

I really like the idea of this as well, with having alts stay in your garrison just chilling around. But I don't think they are going to make alts be able to be used in the same way as followers. Simply because if you send your alt on a mission, what happens when you log into said alt..?

I like this idea, but I also like the idea of alts building their own garrisons that you can visit on all your characters.

Quote Originally Posted by exou View Post
    Sorry but, what is a Paragon Leveling/Legacy system?

And thank you Tya, I must've missed that. I'm glad it was already brought to their attention though!
    Paragon Levelling in Diablo 3 is a form of alternate advancement at max level. For every paragon level you have, you get more gold/loot and a bit more stats (which obviously wouldn't work in an MMO).

In SWTOR, the Legacy system is basically a series of account-wide unlocks that give you permanent unlocks on your ship, like mailboxes and auctionhouses, and a few character based unlocks like +xp and earlier mounts. There's also the account-wide cartel market unlock system which is mostly for F2P players but which subscribers can benefit from too; you can permanently unlock extra bank tabs on all of your characters, for example.

There's one over in GW2, which I'm more familiar with. As you complete Living Story events, you'll unlock permanent additions to your home instance, like mining nodes which you can hit once per day. As you complete achievements, you'll gain account-wide bonuses to your XP, gold, karma and Magic Find, and you can also salvage items to slowly increase your Magic Find.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

That opened up another slew of problems in my mind, Crag, but you're totally right. My first thought was that Alt "followers" couldn't be sent on missions, just hang out in the garrison. But then, what if you don't log out in your garrison on that particular alt, but they show up for your other characters in your garrison? Could you tell your alt to go mining in your garrison's mineshaft and log in with your mining skill higher, or would you just get some ore? The same would go for crafting, could you tell your alts to craft at all, or would there be a crafting follower and your alt is "apprenticing" or something similar (not actually doing anything, but it looks like they are)?

All in all, it may end up "yeah, you can have your alts graphically in your garrison and you've got this one garrison for all of them, but it's just for the look."

I think they instead should have made it a guild thing instead of solo content. The Garrisons would have been a guild perk that is phased for everyone in a guild and it would give perks and what not along the lines of what they currently plan on rewarding. It would also become a general hub for your guild to do whatever in.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Paragon Levelling in Diablo 3 is a form of alternate advancement at max level. For every paragon level you have, you get more gold/loot and a bit more stats (which obviously wouldn't work in an MMO).

In SWTOR, the Legacy system is basically a series of account-wide unlocks that give you permanent unlocks on your ship, like mailboxes and auctionhouses, and a few character based unlocks like +xp and earlier mounts. There's also the account-wide cartel market unlock system which is mostly for F2P players but which subscribers can benefit from too; you can permanently unlock extra bank tabs on all of your characters, for example.

There's one over in GW2, which I'm more familiar with. As you complete Living Story events, you'll unlock permanent additions to your home instance, like mining nodes which you can hit once per day. As you complete achievements, you'll gain account-wide bonuses to your XP, gold, karma and Magic Find, and you can also salvage items to slowly increase your Magic Find.
    It looks like the GW2 idea is a bit built into the idea that some upgrades/buildings will be from blueprints obtained from the world.

But yeah, if we can share a single Garrison, we can use Garrison bonuses as a way to further make life easier for alts.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    alts will have their own garrison
    that actually hasn't been determined. When the question was asked at blizzcon, they said they were trying to figure a way to make it alt friendly and the idea of alts in your mains garrison was a good idea...

I hope we see it happen.

Alts as followers would be fucking amazing. That'd be one of the coolest and best reasons to level alts ever, honestly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Such suggestion could work.

here's my theory :

we've seen some instances of NPCs taking the appearance of player characters. the sands of time quest in WotLK where your future helped you in a quest, and the quest to help your past.

the boss encounter in Azjul'Nerub where we had a vision of madness and fought specters of our teammates.

--- so in theory NPCs can look like player characters.

I prefer to have an account/realm bound garrision so all my characters can change my garrision provided that they're in the same realm.

the system can work by having a "custom follower" section. these custom followers have the appearance of your alts and you can choose which of your characters can become a follower in a different tab. the maximum number of custom followers allowed is equal to the amount of characters you can create in the character creation screen.

custom followers can be divided into two groups :

1) Passive : these custom followers only walk around the garrison and interact with stuff. they may have dialogues too, you can interact with them and choose to switch to these characters. (system automatically logs you out and logs in with your selected alt, the selected alt spawns in your garrison)

2) Active : these custom followers not only do what passive followers do, but you're able to send them to missions too. you can choose what their traits should be too, so you can use these active followers to compensate for what you lack. if you lack a healer follower you can have your alt perform the healing (if they meet the requirements)

you should only be able to have 2 or 3 active followers and the rest should be passive.

all custom followers are passive at first and you must pay in gold to activate your passive followers. you can dismiss your active followers and turn them passive again for no cost but you must pay gold again to reactivate them.

also, if you send your alt to a mission but in the midst of the mission choose to log in with that character the mission will be canceled. and all of your followers who accompanied your active follower will come back to garrison empty handed.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-11-11 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I think a lot of people had the idea, I just didn't realize how many when I made the thread. But it makes me excited, because with so many people asking for it, I hope Blizzard goes "hey, this is what they want, let's try to make it happen".

Banestalker: That's an awesome idea! Though I can see Blizzard making it a once-per-day change, like they mentioned with the Building buffs. But the "cancel mission" idea sounds logical, I could see that happening.

Deleted
    Would prefer them staying character specific, but only if the buildings could use racial, as opposed to faction, architecture.