Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoD... Do I need to think about changing JC/Ench?

Ok, so I know we all saw the news on WoD about JC/Ench changes:

- Enchanting is still around, but fewer items can be enchanted. There will be more enchant choices for those items.
    - The number of items with gem sockets will be gone. Only one gem slot per item. Gems are more powerful. Sockets are a bonus that don't count towards item level budget. No more socket bonuses or meta gems.

I am wondering about some of you.. Right now, I have both of these.. Do I need to consider changing this based new expansion? Would I still make profit?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping for JCing, that things won't have 2-3 sockets, but more things will have ONE socket. My hopes, at least.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    I'm hoping for JCing, that things won't have 2-3 sockets, but more things will have ONE socket. My hopes, at least.

Offtopic: But what if that healer is solo healing and its a very heavy HPS fight?

On topic: Idk id personally change mine at this point.

Although id wait till beta and you can test the enchants/gems to see if its worth it
    I solo stuff. I do deepz. I raid. What else do i want? Oh yeah. loot. give me loot. Cookie for loot?

I don't think they will change them to make them obsolete.

You'll still make plenty of money with them. Just perhaps more in line with other professions.

I personally trust Blizzard to either scrap what becomes obsolete, or find a way to still have profitable professions in Enchanting and JC.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

Deleted
    At this stage most people have multiple characters and access to multiple professions. Even if the profitability of both professions is reduced by having less items to sell, then you have to ask yourself what profession would you replace it with? They at least have the utility of being able to make things for your own characters. The expansion is a long way off, so best wait and see what the changes will be much closer to launch. Everyone is in the same boat.

I think enchanting is still worth it for a raiding character. It's static and dependable, and you can disenchant the gear you're replacing rather than vendoring it, and get the Maelstrom/Sha/(whatever they'll be called) Crystals.

That said, wait till beta and see. There will be plenty of time between beta and release for you to level something new of your choosing, and mats should be pretty cheap as the end of the xpac approaches and people want to unload their inventory.

I'm confused about the JC note:
    The number of items with gem sockets will be gone. Only one gem slot per item. Gems are more powerful. Sockets are a bonus that don't count towards item level budget. No more socket bonuses or meta gems.
    It seems completely contradictory in saying "items with gem sockets will be gone" and then that "only one gem slot per item" (so no more multi-gem items) and then says "sockets are a bonus" but there are "no more socket bonuses".

A Blue post said they would be doing something economy-wise so as to not badly hurt JC but considering the entire JC economy depends on what players are willing to pay for gems I don't know what Blizz can do, barring doing the absurd and giving gems glyph-like abilities so players are always swapping gems out but needing to buy them every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Deleted
    i assume they will add more craftable items for the professions instead.

rings/necks throughout the expansion (adding new recipes on new patches) too make JC usefull with the lowered amount of gems needed.

and Enchanting can prehaps make more shiny things like ... i dunno something usefull that people use.

What I think they meant is that there will be fewer items with gem sockets. For example it sounds like there may not be a socket in helms. Or, no sockets in items by default perhaps and the socket is added through crafting? not sure, but the overall takeaway is fewer slots but more powerful gems.

Ok. I am not very good at reading Blizzard-ese, they have some odd ways to phrase things more often than not.

Would be interesting if JCs could create the sockets, and I read that Blizzard are considering trinkets etc for crafting for others to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Shockeye: When I read "sockets are a bonus that don't count toward item budget", it made me think of Thunderforged/Warforged stuff. It makes it sound as though gem sockets will be linked to a rare bonus "roll" at loot time. It would be like looting, say, a neckpiece and getting a version with a gem socket on it. "Oh man, I got a gem socket bonus on my new neck!"

Let me give you my take on it:

The number of items with gem sockets will be gone.
    This just means that they'll have fewer items that can have sockets. So maybe they'll have a socket in chest, helm and weapon you won't have to worry about trying to socket - hands, shoulders, cape, boots, rings and so on.

Only one gem slot per item.
    Pretty self-explanatory. So whatever items that will have sockets will only ever have one. Until/unless they change their mind.

Gems are more powerful.
    Pretty much think like now you have a chest with 2 sockets each with a 40-strength gem. After this is done it would only have one socket (or none) and the gem you'd put in there would be say maybe an 80-strength.

Sockets are a bonus that don't count towards item level budget.
    It used to be, and I think currently still is, that when they add a socket to a piece of armor they reduce the item budget. I can't remember fully how they do it but a simple way to explain it would be let's say you have a budget of 100. So they add 25 strength to the armor - that takes 25 budget. Then they add 50 stamina which also takes 25 budget if I remember right with stam at 1/2 or so the other stats. So now we're left with 50 budget, they add 25 crit, 25 haste and a gem socket - all of which then would equal the 100 budget.

AFTER WoD they'd be able to take that same armor and it would now have 25 strength, 50 stam, 50 crit, 50 haste and a gem socket. Where the gem socket no longer eats up that extra budget.

Sorry, I know that bit was really confusing. Suffice it to say, currently when they add a gem socket they reduce the stats on a piece of equipment. After WoD they'll be able to add a gem without reducing the other stats.

No more socket bonuses or meta gems.
    Just means you'll be able to gem now how you want. Which I hope means that they'll be adding more interesting gems that would be akin to enchanting or some of these random effect affixes that they are stealing from Diablo.

So now instead of making sure that you have 3 red gems and 2 blue gems to active your meta and get say 4% more block chance and a socket bonus of an additional 15 strength, you'll just throw whatever gem you want in there.

Hope that helps make sense of it.

Anyway, gemcrafting and enchanting will still be excellent professions that make piles of money. Serious raiders will still need the best of the best available and a wider variety of enchants will change things up quite a bit with regards to min/maxing since you'll no longer just throw an AP enchant on your gloves or whatever and call it good.

I'm rather looking forward to what seems to be a rather Diablo inspired expansion this time around. Though jury is still out on me even getting it, I'm rather enjoying my Torchlight, Marvel Heroes and whatever at the moment. Not seeing much time in the budget for WoW.

Deleted
    Yeah they will give ench and jc one item gear to craft each as compensation for

removing 90% demand in both jc and enchanting markets.

It's not likeitwill be les profitable than other professions. But ore shuffling has been removed from the game. Sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not all that interested in crafting things in either Enchanting or Jewelcrafting. I simply took them up to make myself more efficient, but since that usefulness is outweighing the perks of Engineering (for example) I'm thinking of dropping JC. Personally, I really want them to re-look at gathering professions and give them similar stat bonuses so I don't have to pick another profession I won't like just for the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogozjin View Post

It's not likeitwill be les profitable than other professions. But ore shuffling has been removed from the game. Sucks.
    "" ore shuffling has been removed from the game""
    - I didn't see that anywhere. Can you show me a link to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziene View Post
    "" ore shuffling has been removed from the game""
    - I didn't see that anywhere. Can you show me a link to this?
    Its pure speculation and fearmongering. While there is a thought given blizzcon's information that there will be a decreased demand for gems and enchants (a decreased number of enchantable equipment does nothing to prove enchanting won't have other desirable avenues in the repertoire) there is no way of knowing if the supply of gems will likewise be decreased, such as with a decreased droprate from prospecting/mining. If the supply remains at the same ratio to demand as it is now, the shuffle could still remain viable. We simply don't know.

Deleted

On what do you base these assertions. Link us up or it never happened. Sounds like ridiculous scaremongering to me.

Virtually impossible to remove the shuffle from the game.

Deleted
    Nope not fearmongering at all.

Gems do not contribute to ilevel in WoD, it's a tertiary stat and a bonus like thunderforged. So rarely will someone look up gems in the AH, it will be like "wow, I got a gemmable gear!!".

Maybe 90% decrease in demand.

The same will probably be true for enchanting, as ench is getting craftable items as compensation.

Also JC is getting trinkets or something as compensation.

So Blizzard is making JC and enchanting to work more like other professions.

Of course you can still shuffle ore, but if you made say 5k off it before WoD, now you will make 600g.

Deleted
    Nope not fearmongering at all.

Gems do not contribute to ilevel in WoD, it's a tertiary stat and a bonus like thunderforged. So rarely will someone look up gems in the AH, it will be like "wow, I got a gemmable gear!!".

Maybe 90% decrease in demand.

The same will probably be true for enchanting, as ench is getting craftable items as compensation.

Also JC is getting trinkets or something as compensation.

So Blizzard is making JC and enchanting to work more like other professions.

Of course you can still shuffle ore, but if you made say 5k off it before WoD, now you will make 600g.
    You make these claims. 90% in demand based on what. You are guessing. The expansion is the best part of a year away and anyone who has played know that blizzard chop and change, so I wouldnt take what they say as solid until a few months before. People have no idea how profitable a shuffle would be because there are way too many variables. Plucking figures out of mid air seems silly.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2013-11-14 at 11:19 AM.