15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Forum Achievements

Yes, it has likely been suggested before. And yes, it would be very hard to implement on a forum. But, similar to how some forums have karma, etc, achievement points or at least a score of sorts that takes into account post-count (or maybe volume overall, in terms of submission. i.e. word count); times quoted within a post, or having a topic you have started linked to or mentioned; popularity of a topic or poll according to reply count; and so on - all of these things could go towards getting various forum achievements and an overall community contribution score.

I'm thinking along the lines of how Wowhead gives bronze, silver and gold achievements for various things, from visiting the site daily to getting a comment liked/advanced. There could also be a change of colour to particular posts within a topic where users have liked / thumbs-upped / given a star rating to show their appreciation for something witty, informative or simply cool.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just dont implent negative thumbs....they get abused a lot.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Honestly thumbs up would probably get abused as well (making it a popularity contest and stuff).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Honestly thumbs up would probably get abused as well (making it a popularity contest and stuff).
    A feature on another forum I frequent, but you could make it so that only mods/admins and the recipients can see the thumbs-ups. Like infractions.

I could be wrong but, I feel like having it only viewable by mods would completely defeat the purpose posters would like to see it implemented. Like one thing people point to often is wanting a way to indicate they agree with someone without doing a "this" post or having to come up with something else to say about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I should have phrased it better.

Everyone can see the likes on particular posts; however, how many likes a person has, and who liked the post, is something only the recipient and mods can see. That prevents it from being a popularity contest - if a poster's total likes are visible, people could trade likes, or "this poster has tons of likes, s/he must be right". Likes are then only used to describe the quality of the post, not the poster. Could have an optional private comment feature for the likes - "thanks, this was helpful!", only visible to the recipient and mods.

Similar to infractions. Everyone can see that a post got infracted, but not who gave the infraction, the infraction message, or the total infractions for that poster.

I'd be worried about achievements and massive spam it might inflict.

If you have something like "Create X Threads", watch as pointless thread counts explode, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post

If you have something like "Create X Threads", watch as pointless thread counts explode, for example.
    I honestly don't know if people care enough for that to happen. Lots of forums have stuff like this and I don't think it ends up being an issue for them, so we may be worrying about nothing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post

Watch as banhammer comes down, shattering all of their dreams!
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course there will be issues with anything like implementing achievements and being able to thumbs-up posts - the biggest being abuse and epeening. But in the long run, I haven't seen any abuse of the system on Wowhead. Getting reputation points and having your comments change colour when enough people agree with them is quite a positive incentive. Post count merely shows how much time people have to contribute to a community; an extended system, if done right, could show how competent someone is in the long run, in terms of the value of their contributions and discussion.

I've currently got fewer than 3,600 posts here, but looking back over the years, a vast majority of those are insightful, thoughtful, and worth the time taken to write. Achievements could be worthwhile.
    Last edited by Geckomayhem; 2013-11-14 at 03:47 AM.
    For the Alliance!

We will keep this feature request in mind for future site development.

Random suggestion: I like "Karma". They have it on another forum I use, where a person has a Karma number under their name in each post they make, and other people can "applaud" or "smite" their karma once per day, giving them +1 or -1. It doesn't really mean anything and it doesn't do anything, but it gives people an easy way to say "No, you're an idiot, shut up" or "Yes I agree with you" without actually having to post anything.

I imagine my Karma would be quite up high in the negatives.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.