Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Warcraft Sixth Expansion Already in Development!!

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...in-development

In an interview with Polygon, studio co-founder and president Mike Morhaime explained the developer was trying to pick up the pace at which it releases fresh content for the ageing MMO.

"It's going to be on us and our development team to continually look at ways to evolve the game and keep it relevant," Morhaime said, "and look for new ways of maintaining engagement within the game. We view expansions as a huge opportunity to do that.

"We recognize that we need to release them on a faster cadence than we have in the past. So we're investing in the team and our resources to enable us to do that.

We also have to start looking further down the road and planning further out. We've already started working on the expansion after this one [Warlords of Draenor]. We've never done that in the past. We've been doing one expansion at a time, sort of a very linear content creation model, and we've looked at ways that we can parallelize that. So that while we're working on this expansion we're looking at the new one."
    I REALLY hope this not turning in the Everquest II model with every year one new Xpack that got little to no content after Warlords of Draenor
    Last edited by |Dexter|; 2013-11-12 at 01:43 PM.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they'd release expansions every year. This isn't Call of Duty where they churn out the same crap every year. I believe they began work on WoD near the release of MoP (when Rob Pardo released a tweet about Expansion 5), so if it gets released maybe 1 and a half year after the previous expansion, and so forth, it wouldn't be so bad. Just don't rush content to the extent that you're wanting style and profit over quality and substance content within the world of Warcraft.

Are you seriously complaining that they are going to release content too fast? There's no pleasing this fanbase :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Are you seriously complaining that they are going to release content too fast? There's no pleasing this fanbase :P
    It's very rare to find a fanbase that is pleased with anything, there's always someone who complains about something.

even now I am complaining about someone complaining. grumble grumble

Blizzard usually always has 2 expansions in the works.

You have to understand, when they said "started work" that could simply mean: Hey bros what do we want to make the next expansion about! So I would take that statement with a grain of salt.

They where already developing WotLK before TBC was released..

Deleted
    I think it's meant to excite us, but I can't help but feel afraid this comes at a cost of content for Warlords of Draenor.

After all, they did say creating new content for Mists of Pandaria would only slow down progress on Warlords of Draenor. So wouldn't work on expansion 6 slow down progress on expansion 5 as well? I mean, with their logic it should.

All of you who think this is a negative; would you rather have them start working on an expansion now or possibly face another 9 months of DS-quality content a year or two from now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I think it's meant to excite us, but I can't help but feel afraid this comes at a cost of content for Warlords of Draenor.

After all, they did say creating new content for Mists of Pandaria would only slow down progress on Warlords of Draenor. So wouldn't work on expansion 6 slow down progress on expansion 5 as well? I mean, with their logic it should.
    Most of the Titan team got moved to other projects, including WoW. Which means they have quite a bit of new blood. And there's only so many people who can develop one thing at any given time. It's only natural that they start the preliminary work on what's next.

They already told us that Warlords of Draenor is going to lead right into the next xpac, so obviously from a story perspective they already have the basis for World of Warcraft: Wolvar Rising laid out.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    What he said could literally mean that only the higher ups have had a few conversations about it. I sincerely doubt anyone is building anything or writing a lick of code for it yet.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner! Only 5 days after the announcement of the 5th expansion, we have a thread about the 6th expansion! All hail mmo champion

Not really shocking news. Working on can mean a lot of things including nothing more then a formal planning stage. They already said that they usually actively starting working on the next Xpack in terms of the area design team shortly after the release of the previous Xpac anyway.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Maybe we can get back to Azshara sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by flavourcat54 View Post
    I doubt they'd release expansions every year. This isn't Call of Duty where they churn out the same crap every year.
    Not yet, not yet...

this was said before MoP was released. i think its just planning ahead and its good for the plot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

The way I look at it is that blizz has a backlog of completed projects. For instance, take the Defense of the Alehouse Bg that was datamined in 5.3. A bit later, there was at tweet saying that the BG was no longer being developed- this COULD mean that they dropped the BG, but it could also mean that they already have it complete.

For instance, lets say that blizz has a storyboard team- these guys get together and plan out the entirety of an expansion from beggining to end- things like the lore, zones, instances, ect. They come up with the ideas. When they have everything hashed out and done, they then give everything to the zone teams, quest teams, raid teams, ect, and then start to come up with the storyboard for the NEXT expansion.

Lets also take 5.4- chances are, when 5.4 hit the PTR, all the content development guys, like the raid guys, and the zone guys, ect, immediately began working on WoD. What was left was the numbers/balance guys, who make sure that all content/classes are balanced.

Heck, I'm willing to bet that there WILL be a 5.5. The exact words was that any new content for MoP would only slow down progress on WoD- but what if they already developed the rest of the MoP content? I would say that 5.5 will most likely contain the pets for the T6 raids, the Defense of the Alehouse BG, removal of Korkron/Garrosh from Org, Garrosh found in the Temple of the White Tiger, ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner! Only 5 days after the announcement of the 5th expansion, we have a thread about the 6th expansion! All hail mmo champion
    We had threads about the 6th expansion months ago.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

15+ Year Old Account
    At least I know both wod and 6th one are rushed now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Expansions aren't patches in that we have to pay for the first and not the second (excluding the sub fee of course), and I think it's a reasonable concern that an accelerated release rate would bring diminishing returns in regards to quality. Hell, WoD while looking quite decent does seem a little feature light to me. But I don't think the OP has anything to worry about; it's Blizzard we are talking about who probably celebrate Xmas late every year.

Deleted
    It'll just be story and art stuff most likely.