Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Shadowpriest and Razer

Hello guys.

Today I got my new Razer Naga Molten and the dps'ing is really weird with it. My main problem is the binding. Could the similar users help me with the spellbindings? I will mainly use it from 1-12.
    Please give me some advice to help me improve my dps.

Thank you so much!

It really comes down to playstyle on what you bind where. Some people don't like pressing 0 - + so they bind less important spells there (or avoid binding it at all). Other people bind by category to group like spells together (DoTs in one row, utility in another using a modifier like CTRL, etc.). Above all you just need to practice and get used to your new bindings.

Since you asked, here are mine (for 1 - 12/+):

1 = Mind Flay
    2 = Mind Blast
    3 = Mind Spike

4 = Vampiric Touch
    5 = Shadow Word: Pain
    6 = Devouring Plague

7 = Shadowfiend/Mindbender
    8 = Shadow Word: Death
    9 = Halo/Cascade/Divine Star macro

10 = Power Word: Shield
    11 = Dispersion
    12 = Mind Sear

I like to think of the number pad as a grid with 5 being the center, so i always bind my most used ability to 5 and have other rotational abilities around it from 1-9.
    Shift Bindings to for spells that are are used frequently but not in a rotation like AoE spells, Taunts, DPS CDs, DR CDs, Threat drops, and Potions/Healthstones.
    Alt bindings for various utility and emergence spells like healing spells, interrupts, CC, and Raid CDs that sort of thing.
    I find the bottom row quite awkward so those are bound to things that are rarely used like Mounts, Buffs, Vanity Spells/Items ect.

And since you asked:

1 - Shadow Word: Death
    2 - Shadow Word: Pain
    3 - Devouring Plague
    4 - Mind Blast
    5 - Mind Flay
    6 - Vampiric Touch
    7 - Mind Spike
    8 - lvl90 Talent
    9 - Fade

10 - Power Word : Fortitude
    11 - Inner Fire
    12 - Alchemist Flask

1. SW:P
    2. Mind Flay
    3. Mind Blast
    4. Devouring Plague
    5. Vampiric Touch
    6. Power Word: Shield
    7. 90 Talent
    8. SW
    9. Mind Sear
    10. Mind Spike
    11. Flash Heal
    12. Silence

Why the hell would you want to bind 12 spells to your mouse? Especially spells like Mind Blast or Devouring Plague, or anything where a missclick can absolutely destroy your DPS, or momentum in PvP. The only actual use of those buttons I could think of would be /target boss123, /target party123 and /focus arena123 macros tbh, so I can stop using scroll for it, and even then I don't know how much easier it would be. Stick to the keyboard when it comes to actual spells.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Veiled I know I bind for healing on a Naga, and I rarely, if ever, miss click. I had a lot more trouble with the keyboard.

The positioning of the buttons on the mouse are fairly nice.

Deleted
    Naga, and similar Mice like Logitech equivelant, requires a bit of practice to get used to. You may think it is cumbersome. Remember you may need to train your muscles since your muscles make movements they usually did not perform (as much) before. Also remember your Naga has 3 interchangeable side grip panels so you have choice to modify this. Tho the newest version doesn't have this.

I only bind CDs (fiend, fade, pot, healthstone, target switch macros, and so on) to my Naga, but I never misclick them. You do that a few times in the first week you got your Naga but after you smack yourself on the forehead a few good times you never do it wrong again. Its just a matter of muscle memory and positioning. Remember Naga key 4-6 and 10-12 have a physical bump on them like f and j on a default qwerty keyboard. This is to aid you in positioning (although you may not know this consciously). The position from the thumb on 4-6 versus 10-12 feels in such a way different that you shouldn't confuse the two. The newest Naga seems to have it even more distinct buttons which could be interesting for the learning curve.

All the main spells (stuff which does damage) are on my keyboard.

I think it generally boils down to preference. Try to find your preference by experimenting. If performance is low and remains low you may want to look into changing stuff around. The curve and patience you have differ from person to person. Some get used to it after a few hours, others need a few days to a week, yet others will take various weeks to get used to the Naga, and some will just never learn to use it (not heard of those cases yet tho). I tried putting my main damage spells on Naga, and didn't like it, so I went with the one I use now.

Kinda obvious but try to be ready for the next progression raid. Learn and practice as much as you can beforehand.

Best way to use a Naga:

Do NOT bind rotational abilities to it, long CDs are fine(Like T90). The buttons are not easily spammable when compared to a keyboard.

You should bind stuff like: PW: Shield, Fade, Dispersion, Silence, T15, T90, Fear, Dispel Magic, Mass Dispel, Shadowfiend, Levitate, VE, Leap of Faith.

Your keyboard should be used for DPS since all those spells free up and you can bind your DPS buttons so that they are very easy to reach and spammable.

For me its everything important on mouse. I am actually very surprised to here people say don't bind DPS/important things to mouse. I have been using a Naga for 3ish years and I have really never mis-clicked anything I can thing of, where as on a key board I did a fair bit. Personnel preference I guess.

One tip for the naga. At first I could understand how people don't feel like they can click/spam as fast or reliably on Naga. What I do is GLUE the rubber things it comes with to buttons. I have my 1st and 3rd row with the large squarish rubber things and the back row with the smaller round one. That leaves the 2nd row with nothing. This makes it very easy to know where your thumb is. I keep it rested on the 5 button and its easy to navigate with the rubbery buttons attached. I glue then on so they at very secure, cause the sticky stuff it comes with slide a bit after a while. Be careful to not glue the button by letting the super glue run. I use tweezers and one small dab of superglue on the rubber then put in place.

Healing DPS
    1 PoM VT
    2 Penance MB
    3 Binding Heal Mind Spike
    4 PW:Shield SW:Pain
    5 Flash Heal MF
    6 PoH Mind Sear
    7 Renew DP
    8 G. Heal SWeath
    9 Barrier Cancel Dispersion
    10 Troll Grip Troll Grip
    11 SS VE
    12 Pain Sup Dispersion
    Mouse up Smite Silence
    Mouse Down HF Horror

Level 90 Talents are middle mouse button for me. Then I also have another 12 misc spells bound to Shift Naga 1-12 and Ctrl 1-12. I only use my key board for 1-4 which are fear, Void Shift, Mass Dispell, and purify.

Mostly you want to just pick a set up that makes sense for you and practice, practice, practice. Its all about muscle memory.

Probably has a lot to do with hand shape/comfort.

I think quite a few people find the mouse difficult to reach/easy to accidentally hit the wrong button.

I also find it easier to keep abilities I'm using all the time on my naga. The close grouping of buttons is convenient to me, as I don't have issues with misclicks on my naga, but I tend to get lost trying to reach across the rows on a keyboard at times. I have all of my naga buttons set to use the F keys, as those are out of reach for me on my keyboard, this did require messing with some default keybinds to not interfere with other things when I have shift modifiers on things.

Playing a lot of alts I have tendencies for putting certain types of abilities in certain places on my naga as well as my keyboard, which sometimes leads to some strange keybinding. For my priest naga setup:

1 - Flay
    2 - Pain
    3 - Mind Blast
    4 - DP
    5 - VT
    6 - Mind Sear
    7 - Death
    8 - Tier 9 abilities
    9 - This is my PI/Trinket/general CD button on all of my characters. This sees little use on my priest as I have Fiend elsewhere and macro Synapse Springs to DP
    10 - PW: Shield
    11 - Rocket Jump
    12 - Fade

I can't really recommend my keybinds to others, as I just go with what feels good to me. I guess if you're really stuck then copying someone else's then adjusting to make it feel right for you would work.

I switched from the naga to the naga hex.. I bind things like dispell, silence and SWD to mouse buttons, none of the main casts like MB/FLAY/VT
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

I've used the mouse for a couple of years and have all of my rotational abilities on the mouse. Using those buttons is no different from using your keys on the keyboard, so long as you train your muscles to hit the keys. I'm not going to list my keybinds, because each person has to find what's right for them, but I will say that I use 24 keybinds off of the mouse (12 normal binds and 12 ctrl binds) very smoothly and comfortably.

Meh, I use the Naga Hex and have my direct dmg spells on it (dots are on the keyboard). Haven't misclicked at all - the Hex only has 6 buttons (in a hexagonal pattern... hence the name ) and their pretty distinct and mechanical switches to boot. Love the mouse!

Deleted
    I don't using my Naga for any dps spells tbh. I bind all my important damage spells etc to my keyboard. My naga is mainly used for CC abilities, such as Silence, MC etc. I don't really play Spriest, but this is the same for my warlock too, i only use my naga for fears, cs, curses etc, its also useful for arena target macros, e.g target arena1/2/3. I also find it a lot easier to use modifier keybinds via the naga too, as you can hold shift/ctrl using your left hand while having your right hand free to cast cc spells, makes it much easier and faster to cast focus fears or cs on opponents.

As a general rule I wouldn't put any spell that requires bashing on my naga as it becomes quite hard to do after a while with just your thumb xD
    Last edited by mmoc3e5086b698; 2013-10-21 at 05:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamrocket View Post
    I also find it easier to keep abilities I'm using all the time on my naga. The close grouping of buttons is convenient to me, as I don't have issues with misclicks on my naga, but I tend to get lost trying to reach across the rows on a keyboard at times.
    I hear this quite often, but I don't really understand how this can happen. If your fingers rest on asdf by default then f has this funky physical underscore on it. You should (subconsciously / muscle memory) be able to navigate using that. The reason I use Naga is because I use very little keybinds on my keyboard because I don't want to move my hand a lot because these are all damage abilities and movement (= spells I use a lot). The Naga allows me to have 2x12 (shift modifier) binds on my mouse. I'd like to know why you think yours would be better. Keep in mind I don't have many keybinds on keyboard. Shadow has slightly less spells than say mage. They have more spells which are not used much (their AoE spells, for example, or Impact for non fire spec).

I have all of my naga buttons set to use the F keys, as those are out of reach for me on my keyboard, this did require messing with some default keybinds to not interfere with other things when I have shift modifiers on things.
    Where did you set this up? Synapse?

Playing a lot of alts I have tendencies for putting certain types of abilities in certain places on my naga as well as my keyboard, which sometimes leads to some strange keybinding.
    If you play a lot of alts you indeed want to set up keybinds in such a way that they're logical. You can use your main as a standard, but you may have to adjust your main later on if you have a lot of alts (will explain why after my examples). Say you play a shadow and a mage. Your silence and counterspell, as well as your dispersion and ice block have the same keybind. Your blink, you want it to be same as druid's displacer beast. This can become problematic since the more alts you play the harder this becomes due to lack of class homogenity. For example you could talent and glyph Frostjaw so it becomes a silence. For example warriors have multiple gap closers. You could make a macro for intervene and intercept making it work on either a friendly or foe, but then you still have heroic leap. They also have multiple interrupts. My solution to that is as follows: if 2 is interrupt, then shift+2 is always the more powerful ability of it. I think on 9 I have demoralizing shout and demoralizing banner is then on shift+9. You could also say: I will put T1 talent on shift+1, T6 on shift+6, and so on, regardless of what they do.

Either way, you need to find some kind of logical system in it, while keeping ergonomy in mind. It can take you quite some amount of time to figure out what works for you, but remember most people stick to what they use cause they're used to it and they don't want to reinvent the wheel. Every time you make an adjustment consider is this worth the learning curve? The new Naga is supposedly easier to reach 10-12. If not new Naga, then I suggest to keybind the least relevant abilities there. Glancing through some keybinds stated above, I would not agree a CD like Dispersion or Fade is nearly irrelevant since they can be important oh-shit buttons.

I can't really recommend my keybinds to others, as I just go with what feels good to me. I guess if you're really stuck then copying someone else's then adjusting to make it feel right for you would work.
    Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Walshy View Post
    As a general rule I wouldn't put any spell that requires bashing on my naga as it becomes quite hard to do after a while with just your thumb xD
    Not sure about this. I'd think the muscles which are important for the thumb become stronger after a few days of heavy use. I'd expect initially a little bit of pain, but that is just muscle development.

Anyone who uses their main spells on Naga care to comment? Also specify the health of your thumb (???) and how often you play. I mean, its kinda relevant.

If you bind all your rotational abilities to your Naga then what do you do with your left hand? Or is the whole point so you can play with one hand?

SP has the "lucky" distinction of having so little to do on the move that I find that having the same hand for movement and spells doesn't really make any difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    Why the hell would you want to bind 12 spells to your mouse? Especially spells like Mind Blast or Devouring Plague, or anything where a missclick can absolutely destroy your DPS, or momentum in PvP. The only actual use of those buttons I could think of would be /target boss123, /target party123 and /focus arena123 macros tbh, so I can stop using scroll for it, and even then I don't know how much easier it would be. Stick to the keyboard when it comes to actual spells.
    It is painfully obvious that you have never used this mouse. It is a god send and anyone who says otherwise hasnt used it and therefore get no opinion. Miss clicking was grasping at straws. \

I use the mouse, I have mine set up like:

Main action bar: (nomod) 1-12
    2nd (middle) action bar: (shift) 1-12
    3rd (bottom) action bar: (ctrl) 1-12

Here is reference

Mage

Monk

I can link my priest when I get home.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    It is painfully obvious that you have never used this mouse. It is a god send and anyone who says otherwise hasnt used it and therefore get no opinion. Miss clicking was grasping at straws. \

I use the mouse, I have mine set up like:

Main action bar: (nomod) 1-12
    2nd (middle) action bar: (shift) 1-12
    3rd (bottom) action bar: (ctrl) 1-12
    Looking forward to your priest screenshot.

I'm not a fan of chaining modifier spells. For example doing shift+7 and then ctrl+12. Also not a fan of ctrl modifier in general. The movement required from ctrl (pink) to other keys, including wasd, appears to be too uncomfortable for my taste (not ergonomic enough).

However out of sheer curiousity I am willing to try to bind 36 spells on an alt in the weekend. On the Naga, of course.

Anyone who uses Naga also willing to share the rest of their binds? I mean, what are you using the keyboard for if anything? Any other mousebinds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Best way to use a Naga:

Do NOT bind rotational abilities to it, long CDs are fine(Like T90). The buttons are not easily spammable when compared to a keyboard.

You should bind stuff like: PW: Shield, Fade, Dispersion, Silence, T15, T90, Fear, Dispel Magic, Mass Dispel, Shadowfiend, Levitate, VE, Leap of Faith.

Your keyboard should be used for DPS since all those spells free up and you can bind your DPS buttons so that they are very easy to reach and spammable.
    I have no problem spamming stuff on my nage, but my most spammed abilities are on mouse up/down, and 2/3/5, which are the easiest to hit.