Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a ton of content here with a huge storyline that is going to be illustrated. Each warlord has their own story. Char model for everything beside pandaran is also a huge task but mythic garrison, 7 new zones just as big if not bigger than outlands that were built from scratch, as well as a slew of other big changes coming. This whole expansion is a huge upgrade to the game currently and set up prefectly for the legion to come which I think is going to happen. Y'all watch out for Gul'dan (0.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Deffry View Post
    Tt is imediate problem and the only visible outcome is, if we will succed, that something, that shouldn't happen, will not happen. I simply do not see this expansion as part of bigger, long term scheme for Lore evolution.
    Only this ^.

Rest about WoD is EPIC OMG FANBOYGASMS around.

As first, I have to mention, I am quite happy about what we know about WoD so far. I am not saying "Baaaaah, so shitty, so bad, WoW is dying." ... The only real concern so far about WoD is, that it looks like filler arc so far. We are standing against group of badass maniacs who would like to torn apart our children and rape our wifes, but in the end, everything, that could be screwed up is our presence and future in sense of death and nonexistence.

I know, future is quite important thing. We are used to fight for our upcoming days, and I have no problem with it. But in the end it is, WoD, just about one pissed of brat, who has been spanked hard and run to cover behind his fellow maniacs.

It is happening right now, it is imediate problem and the only visible outcome is, if we will succed, that something, that shouldn't happen, will not happen. I simply do not see this expansion as part of bigger, long term scheme for Lore evolution.

I am quite sure, that we will see lots of preparation for next expansions, like Avatar of Sargeras vs Medivh fight, Azshara somehow involved etc. .

Also I am happy about plans to evolve Velen's storyline (he is probably the most underrated superpower in WoW, until now at least).

But in the end, I feel about WoD like about filler. I am not saying it is bad, but it is quite disappointing for me. Is it only me or some of you guys have the same feeling?
    No, pandas on a island is the filler expansion that finally is coming to an end
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Deleted
    yes and no in some way.

it's just trying to do something cooler than MoP(which was filler for many ppl) and trying to bring back old WoW climate by messing with time travel(which I hate).

So it will fill some lore gaps about Draenor and its races but it won't move current story forward much(but it would introduce next expansion somehow). So it's hard to say if its filler or not. And it will bring a lot of improved UI, mechanics and graphics instead of completely new things.

It won't be so exciting as TBC after Vanilla or WotLK after TBC because we wait for more after every expansion but it could be better than Cata or MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I though, that in OP I was really clear, that only "filler" aspect of the game I am speaking about is story. I am not speaking about new models, ui etc. but after WotLK, Cata and TBC and somehow story-wise weak MoP, WoD seems really weak in lore department and its actual influence on our future in our actual home timeline. ... every other aspect of the game is like "Gimme it now! NOW!".
    "Ubi sementem feceris, ita mettes."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkinfinity View Post
    No, I would say MoP might be a filler as it doesn't fit the storyline (not saying MoP is bad, cuz I just love this expansion).
    if MOP doesn't fit the storyline then WoD sure doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    if MOP doesn't fit the storyline then WoD sure doesn't.
    Seconded. I enjoyed the crap out of MoP and WoD looks pretty awesome but if any expansion is "filler" I would go with WoD.

Deleted
    I though, that in OP I was really clear, that only "filler" aspect of the game I am speaking about is story. I am not speaking about new models, ui etc. but after WotLK, Cata and TBC and somehow story-wise weak MoP, WoD seems really weak in lore department and its actual influence on our future in our actual home timeline. ... every other aspect of the game is like "Gimme it now! NOW!".
    I think WoD is going to influence our 'Home' timeline in a massive way.
    I forsee Draenor to replace Outland permanently in the 'Home' timeline at the end of the WoD expansion, it would leave Blizzard with 2 worlds to explore in future expansion.

I'm fairly certain we'll have to deal with Titan technology and a Draenoric Old God, which could carry a fairly big impact, if done right.

At the moment it does feel like filler content.

The weak presentation and very limited content info along with a story line that doesn't move the over all Warcraft story forward just tells me everything we do will just go poof at the end of the expansion or worse yet, we will have to deal with another time travel jump or destruction of the new time line or some kind of sci-fi jump back to our timeline leaving this pocket universe to thrive on all so you can play it later.

All the while, the entire expansion story having little to do to move the overall Warcraft story forward.

So until we get more than what we have been shown and told. I got to file it away as filler content cause so far it's scarce on meaty portions.

The only expansion that comes close to 'filler' is Burning Crusade.

This is the expansion that character assassinated Kael, had us going after Vashj for very shakey reasons, had us going into Zul'Aman for even more shakey reasons (I suppose there's a reason for Blood Elves and their Horde allies, but Alliance?), had us hunting down Illidan because he's...hiding from the legion? No real advancement of the overall story, no major lasting impact on lore...

See what I did there?

I don't consider it filler at all. Its content in its own right, just like Wrath and Cata and MoP. And Warlords of Draenor is just more content to come, rooted in the very core of Warcraft and given a little twist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    No, pandas on a island is the filler expansion that finally is coming to an end
    Guess you missed the Old God, Black Dragonflight, Horde vs Alliance and Titan lore along the way?

Deleted
    As first, I have to mention, I am quite happy about what we know about WoD so far. I am not saying "Baaaaah, so shitty, so bad, WoW is dying." ... The only real concern so far about WoD is, that it looks like filler arc so far. We are standing against group of badass maniacs who would like to torn apart our children and rape our wifes, but in the end, everything, that could be screwed up is our presence and future in sense of death and nonexistence.

I know, future is quite important thing. We are used to fight for our upcoming days, and I have no problem with it. But in the end it is, WoD, just about one pissed of brat, who has been spanked hard and run to cover behind his fellow maniacs.

It is happening right now, it is imediate problem and the only visible outcome is, if we will succed, that something, that shouldn't happen, will not happen. I simply do not see this expansion as part of bigger, long term scheme for Lore evolution.

I am quite sure, that we will see lots of preparation for next expansions, like Avatar of Sargeras vs Medivh fight, Azshara somehow involved etc. .

Also I am happy about plans to evolve Velen's storyline (he is probably the most underrated superpower in WoW, until now at least).

But in the end, I feel about WoD like about filler. I am not saying it is bad, but it is quite disappointing for me. Is it only me or some of you guys have the same feeling?
    Well there are certain plot points that most likely will not get attention during WoD.
    -The Legion is coming
    - Wrathion is trying to 'save' Azeroth
    - The Naga captured Neptulon
    - The Emerald Dream is not yet dealt with
    - Vol'Jin leading the Horde
    - Aisha Cloudsinger and Ji Firepaw
    - The Zandalari
    - Batshit Jaina
    - Varian wants to retake Gilneas from Sylvanas
    - Mal'Ganis is alive
    - Kolthira
    - Tirion Fordring

So yes this is a filler. If anyone from Blizzard can prove me wrong let them come. But with plotlines dangling an expansion will be a filler. I know Mal'Ganis is dangling since WotlK but the situation was never as bad as now.
    Last edited by mmoc38dc10fd5b; 2013-11-13 at 02:51 PM.

Deleted
    "Filler arc" is more suitable in case manga-turn-to-anime thing.
    When the author makes a story, but than some people somewhere in the middle of it put something that author originally hasn't placed, for the sake of preventing the anime catching up with comic, that's filler.
    WoW however is done by developers and is advancing storyline, not holding it back.

So NO, this expansion definitely ISN'T a filler.

Remember, developers said that events in WoD will have repercussions in the future, meaning that it's ESSENTIAL to the plot, and not "just cuz Blizz running out of ideas".

Feels like it. Expansion with least features, returning us to Outland? Kinda meh

Hordes of technologically advanced orcs pouring through the Dark Portal that we have to stop. How is that filler? That's like saying Warcraft 2 was filler...
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Judging by the info we already know about WoD, i tend to agree with OP. Each previous expansion played an important role in the real, present world storyline. There were loads of events that have affected the world as we know it today. Even Mop... some people say that MoP was a filler, but think of how it affected the story: a discovery of a long lost and forgotten land, a culmination of the latest Horde vs Alliance war, a major reorganization of the Horde. So MoP is definitely not a filler. Wod, however... based on what we already know, it won't affect the real, present world in any way. It's not like we are goin to see the present Azeroth having yet another invasion from beyond. It's not like the Horde nor the Alliance are going to protect their homeland from the legions of orcs of the past. Alternate timeline threat that is stopped in the said alternate timeline. The present Azeroth won't even notice it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Ok. So your points from first to bottom:
    1) You mean the Neptulon that we rescued in Cata?
    2) You mean the Emerald Nightmare which was dealt with in the books?
    4) You mean the Zandalari that we defeat at least once every single expansion?

I would remind you about assumptions, but...you know.
    Sorry, but I have to argue on these points.

1. We didn't save anyone, let alone Neptulon. Entire Vashj'ir questline was a victory for naga and Old God N'zoth, and in Throne of Tides, just before we defeat the last boss, Ozumat sucks in Neptulon like a vacuum cleaner and swims away.
    2. Yes, Emerald Nightmare was defeated... to a point. It was beaten back to it's source called Rift of Aln and that's where the corruption is seeping in, meaning that somebody, probably N'zoth, who rests at the bottom of Mealstrom, where Rift of Aln is suppose to be on Azeroth, is responsible for it.
    4. Zul'gurub and Zul'aman had only a few Zandalari and were mostly populated by the local trolls, and while Throne of Thunder was a major blow, Zul, Rastakhan and the remaining Zandalari empire is still out there.

Deleted
    So garrosh trying to create horde 2.0 and invade the current azeroth isnt a big deal and doesn't have impacts?
    He's trying to basically make a big bad 3rd faction to come and wipe out horde and alliance as we are now and put himself at the top of a horde free from demonic corruption....how is that a pocket universe or small thing?
    Also Gul'dan whats he upto? will he pop out? sneak into our world?
    How do we know what this old version of dreanor and its inhabitants will do once they hear about the destruction of their planet or the power of the legion, whats happened on azeroth since, or maybe try to side with us or even the legion? or maybe prepare to take the legion down before it can destroy dranor in their world or if it invades again it could come through at full force again etc etc etc not knowing anything now means we dont know what direction the story will take.
    If not for the anouncement or leaks would anyone have suspected that garrosh was going to be the bad guy and not just sha / old gods?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's not so much a filler as it is a detour. We all know the climax is the Legion at this point, it's been too built up to not be "the next expansion."

But WoD is taking the long way to it. We could have jumped from MoP right to the Legion, but instead we're detouring through Draenor and supposedly this will tie into the Legion in the end.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Its filler cause it doesn't matter. its an alternate time line that can't effect the current. The lore is twisted with alternat time lines. thank you bronze dragon flight.
    The success of WOW has stopped a bread and butter game that helped to define blizzard and that's the Warcraft series.
    what if this expansion into an alternate time... really is filler cause it doesn't matter what happens to either Warcraft or WOW.
    As a filler expansion it allows for the release of a Warcraft game. No reason not to tap into that cash taurne. then the follow up expac for wow is moved forward to where Warcraft left off. Just like it did when wow was released.

Of course blizzard could just reboot the whole game into the alternate time line created by the next expac. This allows for a reworking of events in warcraft 2 and the possible salvation of arthis. The game has alternate time lines thorough out the entirety of the game. The is a prison for the old gods after all. the only way they can escape is to destroy azerroth like what happened to draeinor (sorry for miss spell). if the world is saved then an other old god/"s are trill trapped.

later on this sets up the Dark moon fair raid what this you speak of. well the old gods are corrupting different aspects of azzeroth and they made there own holiday.
    one give away is the giant EYE used a symbol. dead give away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to get into the whole filler/detour rigmarole. But I will say this. I think an expansion revolving around a big bad of N'Zoth with major raids involving Azshara and Rastakhan and playable races like naga would have made much more of an impact and we wouldn't be seeing nearly the levels of consternation we have been since Friday.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect