Thread: Frost and caps.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost and caps.

Let me start off saying that I am a raiding frost mage. 1/14 HC. I have been getting upgrades along the way. But at this point I am lost. With the caps fully raid buffed I am over haste cap which I was assumed was 50% (i am at 60% not counting the heroic trink proc) If I use molten armor I am over crit cap as frost by 3% Cap is 28% crit. I have been reading recently that frost dosent scale well with gear and in the end arcane and fire pull ahead of frost. If I am doing something wrong or not? Is it time to go arcane?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Mictain/simple

Thanx in adance guys
    BTW : BUFF MAGES

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

refer to any of the frost guides please

always use frost armor for frost, no matter what your secondary stats are like.

also if your above the crit cap it doesnt matter much as it is only for ice lance, your other spells such as frostbolt, ffb and bomb still benefit from higher crit.
    there is no real haste cap but if you feel like you got too much haste to handle just regem to int or mastery, the spec isnt as rigid as fire or arcane

in terms of scaling yes frost is a bit behind, however it performs much better than other 2 specs without the 4 piece

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery is an excellent stat for frost right now, some mages have even taken to full mastery after the 9500 haste "cap". Plus, you can use the same gear for arcane as a bonus. Try it out, I have "only" 47% mastery (i prefer a mostly haste build, with 55%), and icicle is already 2nd or 3rd on damage done

Not again I looked at the mage guide but, I dint see my question answered. I am a lil bit more experienced than the mage guide was offering seeing as I have been playing mage since vanilla. Simple question was Is it time to go arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmister View Post
    Not again I looked at the mage guide but, I dint see my question answered. I am a lil bit more experienced than the mage guide was offering seeing as I have been playing mage since vanilla. Simple question was Is it time to go arcane.
    You obviously didn't read any of the guides bc you mention using Molten Armor. No one cares how long you've been playing a mage. Read. The. Guides. There's two.

Why do vanilla players think they're so amazing. You've come to a forum asking for help. You clearly don't know everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just pointing out that your trinket proc has nothing to do with your haste, it's an int proc.

Run frost armor, never use molten. If you have too much haste gem pure int in reds. If you still have too much use mastery gems/hybrid mastery gems where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Equip: amplifies your critical strike damage,haste,mastery, and spirit by 9%
    That was my bad I thought that was a proc. Sorry I read that wrong.

Mastamage
    It comes a time when The haste is so fast it is causing a loss of dps cuz you cant get a cast off any faster than the gcd. When Lust is popped I am losing Dps because casts are too fast. I mentioned using Molten armor because of a post I saw on icy veins, because people were saying casts were too fast, but they were still behind in the crit cap. I myself have never used it I just didnt want to have all that haste that went to waste.

Durrtygoodz
    Never claimed that I know everything, I just was stating that I have played mage for quite a bit. If that came off as a know it all I apologize. I am far from some of the top mages in the world or even the U.S. for that matter.

The simple question I was asking
    With the scaling of frost at what point does a person switch to Arcane or Fire?

Deleted
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ost-(Advanced)
    Read this and everything should be answered.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure there's a solid point. It's mostly based on how well you play any of the three specs and which you do best in.

There's a number of us who are taking the spec through progression regardless, and a number of them are stubborn in giving answers outside of their feelings. I would apologize on their behalf.

sho, definately an easier aggitated community on here compared to icy-veins

Deleted
    It comes a time when The haste is so fast it is causing a loss of dps cuz you cant get a cast off any faster than the gcd. When Lust is popped I am losing Dps because casts are too fast. I mentioned using Molten armor because of a post I saw on icy veins, because people were saying casts were too fast, but they were still behind in the crit cap. I myself have never used it I just didnt want to have all that haste that went to waste.
    Your conclusions that lead you to your question are flawed. Making it hard to answer it.

Haste does not cause a loss of dps as explained in Akreans advanced guide (the one Tomathan linked). It merely alters your playstyle and priorities slightly and also is (slightly) better/worse in certain fights. I also suggest you read the guide.

The moment you mentioned Molten Armor as Frost is where you lost all credibility rooting from your years of experience. It's not bad to think outside the box but when you're not prepared to do the kind of math that Akraen or top mages do, then you better read up!

As for the Frost/Arcane/Fire argument, it really boils down to your current gear and your skill in each spec. If you got crit gear then by all means try Fire but don't expect that you will get crazy numbers the moment you switch. And honestly with your current gear level and progress, I don't think that running as any of the 3 specs will bring noticeable differences unless you respec and regem for each fight...

I'd suggest going by the Frost Mastery build, reach 9522 haste and dump everything on mastery. That way with a quick reforge you can go arcane with the same gear.

I mentioned using Molten armor because of a post I saw on icy veins, because people were saying casts were too fast, but they were still behind in the crit cap. I myself have never used it I just didnt want to have all that haste that went to waste.
    Crit cap is not important with the new mastery.
    Molten is the goto armor in PvP (glyphed against melee), but the haste bonus from frost armor overshadows it in PvE. Besides that you have healers to keep you up, and generally they're not CC'ed (unlike in PvP) which makes molten armor even less attractive for PvE (outside a few very rare cases when you need to soak damage and you're out of cds).
    If you feel that you're wasting haste (you shouldn't feel that way, but still) then aim for a lower breakpoint and reforge the rest into mastery.
    Last edited by maizensh; 2013-11-14 at 09:27 AM.

Deleted
    I forged down from 54.20% to 50% haste raid buffed > 27 - 28% crit > and mastery as much as I can get. With these caps, you can nearly gear (heroic) what you want (but you cannot stack crit gear).
    I was able to top my recent results and the flow was the best on most bosses for me. Sure, you´ll not do optimal on protectors, galakras and maybe spoils, but on the important and dps heavy bosses you will do best, imho.
    Last edited by mmocc7076034c2; 2013-11-14 at 12:30 PM.

Mastamage
    And that's where you're wrong about haste: it isn't wasted. "OH NO IM PAST THE GCD! WHAT EVER SHALL I DO?!?!"

I ran with 66% haste, had my best results.
    Last edited by Mastamage; 2013-11-14 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh

Even if you didn't read my guide, which still won't get stickied for the dumbest reason I've ever heard (not enough pages of replies, lol)... how could anyone ever deduce molten armor as being a good choice for anything other than physical damage reduction w/glyph?

It's reasonable to leave haste for mastery at a certain point, given many factors. However, it's unreasonable to leave haste for crit, even if your cast time was .2 sec :P

There's a cap ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    /sigh

Even if you didn't read my guide, which still won't get stickied for the dumbest reason I've ever heard (not enough pages of replies, lol)... how could anyone ever deduce molten armor as being a good choice for anything other than physical damage reduction w/glyph?

It's reasonable to leave haste for mastery at a certain point, given many factors. However, it's unreasonable to leave haste for crit, even if your cast time was .2 sec :P
    sounds like Icy-Veins needs to stay on top of the fact moderating