Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Urgh. Hate this, seriously hope they reconsider.

This isn't about my mounts, nor my ability to fly all the time. Restrict me from flying while I level, restrict my from flying in certain zones that you want to be experienced in certain ways. I'm fine with that, encourage it even.

What I hate about this is the fact I'll be without flying mounts while NOT in specific areas, while traveling around (which we will be doing a LOT those first few weeks) from the different areas I need to be in for reputation with factions and where I need to be to pick up profession materials and where I need to be to use a bank/AH/Other city comforts. I'll need to do this by FLYING (!!) on a flightpath, with nothing else to do but go AFK and do something on another screen, completely ignoring the landscape I would have been paying attention to if I were actually using my own flying mount.

And not just that. It's a time issue too.

Go back in your mind to Mists 5.0 and forget the fact some areas are in accessible without a flying mount (mainly Tillers) and now imagine a typical day in those first few weeks, and doing Tillers, and Golden Lotus and Klaxxi dailies and now try to imagine that all that running around in Valley of the 4 winds, and Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Dread Wastes that you did was done on a ground mount exclusively. How much longer do you think that would have taken? I routinely had to go from 1 end of those zones to the other. It would have significantly added to the time I spent doing those things. And yes, they could get around some of that extra time spent by putting some well placed flight paths in the zone, but wouldn't that just completely defeat the purpose of not having a flying mount, if I'm going to be spending my time flying across the zone all the time anyway?

So from my point of view all this no-flying will accomplish is that I'll be spending more time AFK while on flight paths and I'll spend large amounts of my time traveling instead of getting productive things done, meaning my possibly limited playing time just got sucked up by travel time, instead of playing time.

(And I'll cut in on any nonsense about traveling being just as much part of the fun and the experience, cause it rarely is. There's a reason you are trying to get somewhere, being held up from that goal by random encounters just means I'm not getting done what I set out to do. That's a waste of time, even if it looks lovely while I am being held up, and I get a deep appreciation for all the mobs I aggro.)

It had better be fucking free in 6.1 and not a million fucking gold. <-- this was meant to be in all caps but apparently "the system" knows my intention and desire better than I do. Just like Blizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    I remember how much I loved the Sethiss dailies, because flying in that had a sense of danger, same with Ogri'la. Can they not work things like that in again? Give ground mobs defenses against the air, or add freaking flying mobs again.
    And they don't even have to have flying mobs that knock you off your mount. They could just do a decent amount of damage and give them a huge leash. That way you either have to avoid them or fight them soon since you can't heal on your mount.

Thumbs up hardstone

If algue is key to the left HEARDSTONE gentikeza could make me give, I am anxious for this game.

Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    Nerf stealth it ruins the vision that the devs have for the combat in game.
    Nerf pets. Gives unfair second player.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Their reasoning is completely sound. Allowing you to fly whilst leveling outright breaks their quest design, and it should be obvious why they don't want you to be able to fly up, avoid everything and plonk yourself down exactly where you need to be. It's less convenient not doing that, yes, but an instant mob kill button would also be convenient, and we know exactly why that's not getting implemented.
    By delaying it till 6.1 they've made it clear that this is not about leveling. They would just limit it to max level if that was the case. They are essentially feeding us bullshit. (BTW their reasoning is not sound, it's full of holes created by their own game design).

I remember how much I loved the Sethiss dailies, because flying in that had a sense of danger, same with Ogri'la. Can they not work things like that in again? Give ground mobs defenses against the air, or add freaking flying mobs again.
    Implementing those kinds of things everywhere is both time-consuming and problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Valock View Post
    True that, but lets say you wanna explore on the ground, with no intentions of PvPing, or you're just coming late into the expansion and actually forced on the ground, and a high level player from the opposite faction wanna gank/fight you, you're basically an easy target. Of course if you're also max lvl, you can only hope to notice him before he attacks you so you can mount up your flying quickly, but still it ruins the immersion of what you're doing. If you're not eligible for the flying mount (As in low lvl) you're basically fucked.

Having to be equally "strong" on the mount side creates equal opportunities, nobody can chase you, try to attack you, they do some dmg, you still run away, they mount up their flying and catch you up in no seconds, with ground mounts you will have a way out, if they chase you and attack you, and you're still on you're mount and they mount up, they won't catch you, so that will often be seen as a decline to fight, unless they're persistent and follow you till the end of the world, which not that many cares to do.

And with exploration on the ground brings less knowledge of the area around you, exploring on flying is easier, but you'll just see everything, I feel if you're doing it on the ground you'll be more surprised to what you'll find around you.
    You do realize that if you don't want to be ganked... you can join a PvE server... besides many pve servers do more organized pvp than pvp servers. (I used to play on pvp servers until MoP) Your argument has no merit to it because removing flying at max level does nothing to stop this scenario. If you get attacked you cannot mount in combat so you are still stuck there being eaten by a lvl 100 who had nothing better to do. Even at max level you can be ganked because some people just have more pvp gear. I don't care for pvp and don't stand a chance against a guy in all the latest season's gear so this wouldn't do anything to prevent me from being ganked. Besides once again if you want to explore from the ground no one is stopping you there is no requirement to fly. If I'm not restricting your right to use ground mounts why are you restricting my rights to fly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Their reasoning is completely sound. Allowing you to fly whilst leveling outright breaks their quest design, and it should be obvious why they don't want you to be able to fly up, avoid everything and plonk yourself down exactly where you need to be. It's less convenient not doing that, yes, but an instant mob kill button would also be convenient, and we know exactly why that's not getting implemented.
    No one's asking to have flying at 90 (except perhaps on alts), but to deny it entirely for months is unreasonable.

Implementing those kinds of things everywhere is both time-consuming and problematic.
    If they don't want you flying anywhere then they might as well remove the ability an refund everyone the costs associated with it.

It's less convenient not doing that, yes, but an instant mob kill button would also be convenient, and we know exactly why that's not getting implemented.
    most players are stupid. They want one button to win game. Convenience killed this game. Game designer SHOULD not listen to whiners and people that want their life to be easier in game. They should listen to people that propose interesting mechanics (those are rare), not convenience.

Deleted
    I do understand the intention: Have players meet each other out in the world, bring back immersion and community within the server, make the world feel dangerous and populated and possibly more interesting with the new max level content they promised but people just want convenience, they no longer see it as a game but more as a chore so they just want to go through it fast instead of trying to enjoy the ride so.. Yea, this no-flying won't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    By delaying it till 6.1 they've made it clear that this is not about leveling. They would just limit it to max level if that was the case. They are essentially feeding us bullshit. (BTW their reasoning is not sound, it's full of holes created by their own game design).
    The same reasoning extends to max-level content. They already disable flying in patch areas, except where they can't for technical reasons, like Krasarang. Being able to fly up, avoid everything you don't need and drop yourself where you need to be is an issue for them because of the impact that it has on their area design. If you want to put an obstacle between a player and an objective, that becomes a hell of a lot more difficult in a flying environment.

Edit: Fixed my quote.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2013-11-14 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivion View Post
    That's ridiculous, not the least because of the Monsterous Kaliri. Do you remember them? No? The giant birds from the Skyguard dailies? That outraced you and knocked you off your flying mount, sending untold hundreds to their death? Do you remember the shitstorm of that?

This is much, much better.
    Learning to avoid mobs and obstacles is much better than not being allowed to fly at all. You do it on the ground so you dont aggro stuff, you can do it in the air. Also I would probably add a parachute mechanic for dismounting and place an altitude limit on mobs so you can safely fly higher for long distances.

BTW the kaliri birds were only slightly higher than the trees and could be flown over if going to SMV. They were only there to make flying around the quest area harder which is exactly what Blizzard is trying to do by not letting us fly at all.

Guess i'll level to 100 and then put the game away for a while till first patch.

No one's asking to have flying at 90 (except perhaps on alts), but to deny it entirely for months is unreasonable.
    You're not. Many people are.

Why is denying it for months "unreasonable"? They've given VERY clear design reasons for why flying messes with their zone and content design.

If they don't want you flying anywhere then they might as well remove the ability an refund everyone the costs associated with it.
    On a side note, if they removed the ability to fly, their solution would probably be to just keep flying mounts and convert them to ground mounts. No-one actually has to lose the models, and Blizzard already allows the use of some mounts in ground-only areas that don't make sense, like the Heart of the Aspects in battlegrounds and arenas.

Deleted
    No flying til 6.1 Hell yes

This is a fantastic idea, flying has had a detrimental effect to this game and people forget this is World of Warcraft and its about exploring the world, not just mounting and skipping 90% of the landscape/content to do circles/go afk in your home city

Travelling before flying was sometimes dangerous i for one miss that feeling where i could be ganked at anytime by random mobs, something the game misse Immersion

I can see the incoming QQ about how people wont sub til 6.1 or buy until flying is back, well that could be 3/4 months and then you will still have to level to 100 and buy flying.

A possible solution is to add flying mobs in zones where you can be attacked and dismounted if they get to you, the skies should not be safe just as the ground isn't.
    Last edited by mmoc85d693b13f; 2013-11-14 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoon View Post
    most players are stupid. They want one button to win game. Convenience killed this game. Game designer SHOULD not listen to whiners and people that want their life to be easier in game. They should listen to people that propose interesting mechanics (those are rare), not convenience.
    Ok agreed blizz should focus on interesting mechanics instead of convenience. But what is the interesting mechanic is denying flying for a patch? You want to deny flying while leveling go right ahead you have reasoning for that with flying making the quests too trivial. But what does it serve at max level? where you can literally play the game without leaving the capital city anyways? You still have the option to use a ground mount if you want. If you really find it far more enjoyable to run through a zone on the ground THEN DO SO. But why force us to not be able to fly because you just cant be asked to avoid convenience for something you say you value so much yet refuse to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    And there are meany against though people.

10+ Year Old Account

Why is denying it for months "unreasonable"? They've given VERY clear design reasons for why flying messes with their zone and content design.

On a side note, if they removed the ability to fly, their solution would probably be to just keep flying mounts and convert them to ground mounts. No-one actually has to lose the models, and Blizzard already allows the use of some mounts in ground-only areas that don't make sense, like the Heart of the Aspects in battlegrounds and arenas.
    And people have pointed out the flaws in their reasoning. At one point, they made flying dangerous in areas they wanted it to be dangerous. They can do it again.

And sure, they can make them ground-only, but riding around on a proto-drake and not being able to fly is pretty damn stupid.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to love leveling my alts through the same tedious experience every time with no way to speed it up.
    Yes because heirlooms don't exist.