Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzcon Tournamnet going to be an embarrasment?

I was watching some streaming late last night and it was typical play, bunches of wizard teams killing people in imp CS. The stream I found interesting to watch was from a rogue point of view and it was somewhat embarrassing. This rogue was doing everything right (aside from being on wrong target now and then) and the wizards they were playing against basically turtled until burst was up and killed people in stun/CS. I mean, he was feinting every deep, he was stepping away to pillar when no cloak, peeling with the 50% nerve strike, locking down chaos bolts, etc. It was really fun to watch. Then his healer or even sometimes himself would go 100-0 in the 4 second silence. It was embarrassing for Blizzard.

I am curious if you guys think the Blizzcon tournament will be a huge embarrassment because it will be filled with wizards and very narrow class combinations and the games will end with the announcers basically saying "we have no idea what just happened, but it looks like they got gibbed with no warning".

Will that huge a failure on a very public forum force some actual change in PvP and not all of this tinkering around the edges that looks like massive changes but in reality only tweaks numbers a little bit? (I am talking baseline resilience and gear changes. Rated play is basically the same) Am I totally wrong in saying that the games themselves will be decided less by skill and more by comp and lucky crit streaks getting random kills?

I just hate watching teams play perfectly and still lose to another team that is just turtling until they can randomly blow someone up.

10+ Year Old Account
    wizards are fine, huntards are broken

Deleted
    This is just a thinly veiled rant against wizards, while I'm pretty sure that among the Blizzcon-level players the consensus is that hunter/disc/x cleaves are what is dominating the game. That being said, Blizzcon will probably have its fair share of wizards, but that's just because generally the elite players have always played wizards and rogues.

wizards are far from fine.
    -mages getting hit by changes (ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME) i really hope that the changes go thru this time.
    -ele shamans the biggest joke blizzard has given us so far. remember 5.0 warrior 1 shots ? yeah they are back but this time from 40 yards.

feral druids.. oh boy where to start i am out of words. instant big heals / instant roots / instant clones. tons of survivability coupled with symbiosis.
    oh yeah and hunters.

that said. i am looking forward to blizzcon i dont think anything would be more boring to watch than cata pvp and i believe that MoP blizzcon would be packed with excitement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure this years tournament will be A LOT of fun to watch. We should see alot of different comps instead of mls or mpl. Think about it the year the phd (all praise be to lord jungyup) everyone exploded it was crazy that anything less than a combo of rls, rmp, or mpl even made it that and the fact that they won!? lolwut. I think this years blizzcon tournament will be very entertaining to watch. Me personally Id be pumped to see Vanguards at blizzcon on his enh.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    Pretty sure this years tournament will be A LOT of fun to watch. We should see alot of different comps instead of mls or mpl. Think about it the year the phd (all praise be to lord jungyup) everyone exploded it was crazy that anything less than a combo of rls, rmp, or mpl even made it that and the fact that they won!? lolwut. I think this years blizzcon tournament will be very entertaining to watch. Me personally Id be pumped to see Vanguards at blizzcon on his enh.
    word.
    got sick of watching casters drool over their keyboards for the past 2 blizzcons. dull boring long mirror matches.

Current balance is no different to any other tournament period. It'll still be entertaining, and the comp diversity (as redrun said) will probably be even more diverse this tournament than any of the Cataclysm or Wrath tournaments.

Not a veiled wizard rant, I was more thinking about the way the games go at higher levels and how that is exciting for the viewer, but for the players it is extremely frustrating. What I am specifically speaking about is the difference in past tournaments where you have to force the flow of the game in your favor or overcome a losing game with very good positioning and a strong CC chain involving multiple players.

I feel like the game right now is too bursty and that makes it easy to score kills with very little coordination from an opposing team outside of attacking the same target and using CD at the same time to score a kill. The example I started with was to point out that the non-wizardish team (Rogue/Ele/Rdruid) was playing pretty flawlessly for the most part and was the team controlling the pace and flow of the game, but would drop losses to the wizard teams (Destro/Afflic - Ele/Mage - Monk/Priest) because the wizard team turtled until they could gib someone in a single player short instant CC like a deep stun, CS, even a single casted full fear. That idea is also true of teams with Hunters, the increase in the cleave teams like enhance/DK or even enhance/ret and it is not something that is just a problem with wizards. It is a problem with the structure of PvP.

So yeah, the tournament will be fun to watch because the damage will be high, there will be lots of almost near deaths that get saved because of good play but it won't always be the stronger team/players that win. Imagine if NBA finals was less about how well the players are individually skilled AND work together as a team and more based on what combination of shoes and headbands they are wearing and who got lucky with how the wind generated by the crowd clapping and yelling moves the shots....

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Current balance is no different to any other tournament period.
    I seriously disagree. Comp is way too big right now. It's been see-saw this whole expac, and bugs have been way too influential.

i will say hunters are the only thing keeping wizards in check, not going to be too many melee classes around if they cant ride on the back of hunters lol

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I seriously disagree. Comp is way too big right now. It's been see-saw this whole expac, and bugs have been way too influential.
    Comp has always been an absolutely enormous factor.

TBC was all about WLD. Blizzcon 2008 was a WLD-athon with the other teams just being free wins.

First tournament in Wrath was TSGs and PHDs. PHD both beat RMP, TSG beat PHD, and TSG was 50/50 with RMP.

Second tournament in Wrath was druid/warlock/X. Mage or ele shaman, it didn't matter. Just plug one in and win.

First tournament in Cataclysm was shaman/warlock/X. Mage or DK. It just so happened that this tournament had the big curveball of a Korean PHD showing up and stomping wizards.

Second tournament in Cataclysm was shaman/warlock/X with a disc/ret/DK team in there as well. Then it went to MOP and became full shaman/warlock/X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    wizards are fine, huntards are broken
    Keep convincing yourself that lies are true. Wizards are far from fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Casual View Post
    i will say hunters are the only thing keeping wizards in check, not going to be too many melee classes around if they cant ride on the back of hunters lol
    No, hunters were keeping them in check before the recent nerfs to Stampede and Blink Strike. Now the only hunter comp that can really put up a good fight against them is Jungle Cleave and it's sure not due to the hunter on the team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wizards? There are no wizards in WoW, sheesh people mixing up classes from different games now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    This will probably get infracted for trolling, but it's amusing to see people talking about something like Blizzard being embarassed when most people give less than one shit about that kind of pvp balance at high end. Blizzcon won't be embarassing, most people will be hyped at whatever new toy they release and the tournament will be watched by less than 5% of the playerbase. Realistically I think people who care about pvp should find an actual pvp game so that Blizzard can stop affecting the pve game with no pvp that I bought in the name of arena balance.

Quote Originally Posted by cexspa View Post
    wizards are far from fine.
    -mages getting hit by changes (ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME) i really hope that the changes go thru this time.
    -ele shamans the biggest joke blizzard has given us so far. remember 5.0 warrior 1 shots ? yeah they are back but this time from 40 yards.

feral druids.. oh boy where to start i am out of words. instant big heals / instant roots / instant clones. tons of survivability coupled with symbiosis.
    oh yeah and hunters.

that said. i am looking forward to blizzcon i dont think anything would be more boring to watch than cata pvp and i believe that MoP blizzcon would be packed with excitement.
    I was going to quote the post above this one (about hunters) but this post i agree with a LOT more. My main character is a mage and i am definitely able to agree and say that we are strong. However i think that there are other classes that require a bit more attention than magi, namely, hunters and ele shaman. The amount of raw burst they are able to pump out is unbelievable (even to a person who plays a mage). There are many classes that are FAR too strong right now but magi are the ones who will ALWAYS get the brunt of the complaints because it seems to be the common thing to do, blame mages (GC plays a mage so why wouldn't he want his character to be the strongest? Maybe because it would be a poor business decision to do so but logic is thrown out of the window when speaking of magi).

In short i do agree with your post and think magi need to be worked on, along with a few other classes and specs that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    locks mages rogues dominate in pvp and no one bats an eye
    buff other classes...and everyone loses their minds. but seriously though how pvp is right now alot of people are getting to play. isnt that a good thing?
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    Not a veiled wizard rant, I was more thinking about the way the games go at higher levels and how that is exciting for the viewer, but for the players it is extremely frustrating. What I am specifically speaking about is the difference in past tournaments where you have to force the flow of the game in your favor or overcome a losing game with very good positioning and a strong CC chain involving multiple players.

I feel like the game right now is too bursty and that makes it easy to score kills with very little coordination from an opposing team outside of attacking the same target and using CD at the same time to score a kill. The example I started with was to point out that the non-wizardish team (Rogue/Ele/Rdruid) was playing pretty flawlessly for the most part and was the team controlling the pace and flow of the game, but would drop losses to the wizard teams (Destro/Afflic - Ele/Mage - Monk/Priest) because the wizard team turtled until they could gib someone in a single player short instant CC like a deep stun, CS, even a single casted full fear. That idea is also true of teams with Hunters, the increase in the cleave teams like enhance/DK or even enhance/ret and it is not something that is just a problem with wizards. It is a problem with the structure of PvP.

So yeah, the tournament will be fun to watch because the damage will be high, there will be lots of almost near deaths that get saved because of good play but it won't always be the stronger team/players that win. Imagine if NBA finals was less about how well the players are individually skilled AND work together as a team and more based on what combination of shoes and headbands they are wearing and who got lucky with how the wind generated by the crowd clapping and yelling moves the shots....
    You're right that the game is too bursty, but I don't agree that it's a wizard comp problem, it's a few specific specs that are the problem, namely Ele Shamans and Ret Paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazed they are even doing Arena for WoW now, with all the work they spent on Pokemon instead of PvP you'd think they'd showcase it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Wizards? There are no wizards in WoW, sheesh people mixing up classes from different games now...
    I think they meant to say mages.