2563. This poll is closed
  • Started Old School Vanilla

2,033 79.32%
  • Came in the later days BCS or Later

530 20.68%
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My account was created January 16th 2005.

And while I normally lean on the side of 'it's blizzard's game, deal with it' regarding changes, I think for once they're making a big mistake with the Mythic raiding. They are effectively screwing over two sets of raid types... telling 25s to ditch 5 people and telling 10s to find 10 more. I loved the WOD announcement and eagerly anticipate most everything about the new expansion, but as soon as I heard that I thought... yeah thats going to piss a LOT of people off.

I hear what you're saying in that we had it harder in that regard. (run from thorium point to mc or bwl anyone?) I'm also sick of the complaints about no flying until 6.1.

However, playing the vanilla card in this case doesn't work that well since people get used to luxuries. So, whether someone played in vanilla or not, doesn't mean much in the argument. It's like someone watching a 16" monitor for years, giving them a 50" for a few months and then taking it away knowing they can't afford anything better. What do you think they'll do? They'll complain.

I have no gripes about not being able to fly initially, but I can understand why someone would.

I have played vanilla.

It may be not the greatest game of all times, but i have great memories of it. Every minute of grind felt like with purpose. Party/raid wipes and long corpse runs was ok and you did it frequently Raided black rock depths (lvl 56 instance) countless times, sometimes for 6+ hours at one go and saw last boss only few times, it is just that big. Running on foot till lvl 40 let you feel this big world. 40 man raids were something special

RIP Vanilla WOW, we will remember you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did, mind you I didn't start on the official servers, but I started on vanilla servers xD then started on official in the middle of TBC around the time Black temple released...

15+ Year Old Account
    I did. Started playing in April 2005. I had a few friends that were in the beta, but I didn't have internet access from late 2004 to early 2005. Prior to that I played EverQuest, but when I got the internet back up and running my friends had already switched over to WoW.

I technically started in Vanilla on a trial account. But my first subscriber account was in TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by achrius777 View Post
    Seriously how many actually played Vanilla? From what I see not alot. World of Warcraft was one of the most succesful MMO's to ever be released.....and it all started with NO FLYING, NO GROUP FINDER, it really started with a very bare minimum system. complaining about 20man raid instead of 25? we used to have to gather 40!!!! 40!!!!!!! players to do 1 raid. Everyone who came after vanilla had it easy from the start, when blizz makes a "challange" everyone has a fit, its a game its supposed to be challanging. I myself enjoyed the challange and experience of Vanilla and am very glad blizzard is thinking of our experiences in the old days and trying to bring them back in a form. Excited about this expansion and cant wait to hear more news!!

(and really complaing about flying?? WoW is one of the only MMO's that has a full proof flying mount system. stop complaining!)
    Oh please grandpa, tell us more.... seriously you sound like that. What if I took away your cell phone, your computer, your TV? People did fine in the first half of the previous century without it, so you can too. And even if you think it's for the better for you, what does it take away from you if other people like it and would prefer to use it?
    Some people walk around with ancient Nokia cell phones and some have the most recent smartphones. It does not matter, you take what you like. And if person A uses a smartphone, he's not taking away from person B with the Nokia or vice versa.

Deleted
    Played at start of vanilla, game was much better back then. Now there are many things to facilitate in current game but gameplay is a mere share of what it was back then. I think many of us still play trying to have that same experience but there is a lack of depth now and items are trivial whereas before they were everything and a real accomplishment to get an upgrade.

Don't believe all those saying it's nostalgia etc that's pure rubbish, the game was better when you were limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, started playing Jan 09.

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Played at start of vanilla, game was much better back then. Now there are many things to facilitate in current game but gameplay is a mere share of what it was back then. I think many of us still play trying to have that same experience but there is a lack of depth now and items are trivial whereas before they were everything and a real accomplishment to get an upgrade.

Don't believe all those saying it's nostalgia etc that's pure rubbish, the game was better when you were limited.
    I actually agree. I loved the depth of wow, my favorite period was TBC though. Game is more shallow now, prettier but still shallow

I started at the launch on my sister acc I was only 12. I remember that I never achieved to get level 60 until Burning Crusade came out, because I rerolled warrior after I upped a level 41 human paladin (this took me a complete year) before I could have my own account. Then I upped a gnome warrior (because gnome warrior = badass at this time, and I didn't care that much about race stat). Then I stopped at level 53 before Burning Crusade came out because I was angry to see that I couldn't get the protector's tabard. Two month later I came back, and I stopped fast because I didn't enjoyed Burning Crusade. Then I came back at the end of the expac when Wrath was announced and I still play WoW.

http://warcraftrealms.com/charsheet/38481420 Here's my warrior. He's now Finkles, a gnome warrior on Kirin Tor EU.
    Last edited by Holdodlig; 2013-11-15 at 08:01 AM.

I did, few months after it got released

Looking back it's funny how many free days they were giving us. Servers were in such bad shape, the whole game kinda hung in the balance for a few months. My whole guild very nearly quit but we didn't want to go back to SWG either . We stuck it out and the servers got better and about half of us are still playing today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Everyone on this forum, if you believe them.
    As of a moment ago 274 started in BC, so not all started in Vanilla (1,065 did)
    HOME OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Addon Author: My Projects

10+ Year Old Account
    I startet in the open Beta of Vanilla. Since I came from Ultima Online and was quite into RP back then, me and my friends that switched from UO wanted to wait for RP-PVP realms to go live (think they were announced back then already, but for a future date) before we would start our "real mainchars" (I wanted to play a warlock from the beginning, but to see a bit more from the game me and my friends decided to start on our first server on an "off-class").

Though raiding "competitively" started only with TBC for me, since I was attending military service towards the end of Vanilla. I did some MC and ZG and think i had like one or 2 Nefarian kills, where i was basically just dragged along by some friends, and 1 Skeram kill, whoop. Still, that very first Ragnaros kill was something special ^^

Hmm, I wonder if actually that many played for that long. I figured people were just boasting in a weird way, but now I can't help but wonder if, even though I'm sure the vote won't be 100% accurate, there are really alot of people here that played for ages. This also shows how the voice of this community hardly represents anything the majority in wow thinks though...

Started with the open beta back in vanilla myself. Came from various korean mmo's at the time. Back then it was mostly Linage II and Ragnarök Online with a bit of Everquest II, but never really got into it beyond the Housing.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-11-15 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    It's insane to thing about though.. I played this game for 9 years and im still having so much fun. No game comes close.
    Same here actually. I started at the end of april 2006.
    Had a few small breaks though for work and such. I even went back to active raiding with mop.
    I am still in the same guild too which was founded on private server since europe got wow later than the usa ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saicam View Post
    Heck I trying to come up with the gold to get my first mount was my concern.
    Oh I remember this. Me and a friend farmed in Silithus for like 3 weeks or something. While trying to do the Onyxia pre quest (as alliance). Also remember winning my first epic, tier legs of golemagg!

Have a great day everyone!

I started in Cataclysm but I like the ideal of a lot of the things that were going on in Vanilla.

Sadly gaming as a whole is now about convenience.
    Don't get me started on PvP in this game being a crap hole.