Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Ilyiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    LEEEEGIONNNNN
    Posts
    484

    Surprising similarities between Garrosh Hellscream and Adolf Hitler?

    I was reading some information on the Holocaust tonight for my Holocaust studies class, and came across some startling similarities between Garrosh Hellscream and Adolf Hitler.
    -Both were originally in the militaries of their respective nations
    -Both rose to a position of power suddenly
    -Both established a fortified capital or territory to defend
    -Both believed their race was the master race, and that their race needed more living space
    -Both had startling acts unveiled when their capitals were breached (Hitler: concentration camps, Garrosh: prisoners, artifacts, the underhold)
    -Both threw their various allies as scapegoats before their territory would be breached (Hitler: Italy and France, Garrosh: Dragonmaw and Nazgrim and Malkorok)
    -Both believed in exterminating inferior races
    It's slightly disturbing, incredibly coincidental, and a little bit frightening to notice these similarities. Discuss?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Ilyiana/simple
    Professional glass cannon since 2004. I live and die a mage.

  2. #2
    I've been saying this forever.

    However it works better if you use the characters as analogy to real life generals.
    Garrosh = Hitler Crazy genocidal leader
    Malkorok = Himler Garrosh/Hitler's right hand man. Leader of a secret police that would do anything/kill anyone for their leader.
    Nazgrim = Rommel A nationally acclaimed general, loved by his men, and respected by his adversays. He did't like what Garrosh/Hitler was doing but for honors sake did his duty.

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire Ilyiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    LEEEEGIONNNNN
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    I've been saying this forever.

    However it works better if you use the characters as analogy to real life generals.
    Garrosh = Hitler Crazy genocidal leader
    Malkorok = Himler Garrosh/Hitler's right hand man. Leader of a secret police that would do anything/kill anyone for their leader.
    Nazgrim = Rommel A nationally acclaimed general, loved by his men, and respected by his adversays. He did't like what Garrosh/Hitler was doing but for honors sake did his duty.
    Hadn't thought of those either. This coincidence is just stunning though.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Ilyiana/simple
    Professional glass cannon since 2004. I live and die a mage.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    Hadn't thought of those either. This coincidence is just stunning though.
    Because most characters of Blizzard are inspired in other know characters (fictional or historic)

    Arthas(in Warcraft 3) = Francisco Pizarro
    Thrall = Caesar from Rise of the Planet of the APES (the original movie)

  5. #5
    And of course, Anduin and Justin Bieber are quite similar as well.

  6. #6
    and you forget Adolf Hitler went back in time to unleash the mongols on us in 2013

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    and you forget Adolf Hitler went back in time to unleash the mongols on us in 2013
    That was a classified information. Shhh..

  8. #8
    hmmm i never thought of that make sence i guess

  9. #9
    Godwin's law even states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Garrosh approaches 1"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    and you forget Adolf Hitler went back in time to unleash the mongols on us in 2013
    When will this event be occuring i need to mark it on my calender.

  11. #11
    He's a dictator, Hitler is the canonical dictator, therefore there are similarities.

    Same applies to every autocrat really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hayward,CA
    Posts
    1,107
    Hitler was on meth.

  13. #13
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    sqrt(evil)
    Posts
    15,463
    To be honest once you've read the Jaina book some of the simmularities were just way to obvious. Especially the Malkorok gank squad that so much represents the way the SA was opperating as paramilitary national police, the only thing missing is malkorok getting murdered and preplaced with the ss, in Wow he just is the leader of the Kor'Kron and kinda skipped that part, would have been a bit too obvious otherwise imho.

    Then there is obviously all the racial crap garrosh spounts nonstop. The utter disregard for any other race at the end. The experiments on other races. The whole iron fixiation (saronite). The extrem industrialization focus (machines, tanks and what not). Both were pathetic whiners before they rose to power.

    The only thing missing is him building highways and rewarding women for 'Producing' more children. Well and the orchestrated genocide, though one could argue he tried that with the trolls.

    I know some people will move heaven and earth to dispell any kind of simularity between the two, but in the end I don't think that he is supposed to be orc-hitler, but they definetly drew some inspiration from it, after all they tried very hard - to the point of shoehorning it in - to make him the (uber) bad guy. We had these topics in the past btw, but some mods seem to dislike them immensly. So this probably will not stay open for long.
    Last edited by Haidaes; 2013-11-15 at 06:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Banned Lei Shi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Terrace of Endless Spring
    Posts
    10,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    And of course, Anduin and Justin Bieber are quite similar as well.
    Anduin must die! Make him the 1st boss of the next entry level raid already.

  15. #15
    Anduin and Justin Bieber are quite similar as well.
    Last edited by amiotcqss; 2013-11-15 at 06:43 AM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    -Both were originally in the militaries of their respective nations
    Hitler was in the Austrian army during WWI. Austria was the first country annexed by Germany, but Hitler was never a German soldier. Also I don't remember Garrosh doing any sort of fighting. He just kinda moped around in Nagrand until Thrall found him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    -Both rose to a position of power suddenly
    Hitler worked his way into the German government after around ten years. Garrosh became commander of the Northrend Expedition in the two years between BC and Wrath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    -Both established a fortified capital or territory to defend
    Any leader is going to have a fortified capital. I can compare Joseph Stalin to Varian using this argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    -Both believed their race was the master race, and that their race needed more living space
    -Both had startling acts unveiled when their capitals were breached (Hitler: concentration camps, Garrosh: prisoners, artifacts, the underhold)
    -Both believed in exterminating inferior races
    This is pretty spot on.

    I think the Orcs will always be a better allegory of the Mongols. Highly militaristic, complete domination and destruction of their enemies, barbarian romanticism. The various Khans sound just like warlords of the Horde, and even the term Horde comes from the Mongols. Genghis Khan is a better comparison to Garrosh Hellscream in my opinion. It's a little obvious since the orcs have basically been modeled after Mongols since the first Warcraft, but maybe that's why I like Garrosh so much; the Mongols were the OG bad asses.
    Didnt mean to tear your argument apart, but this is fun. Whats next, how is Illidan like Richard Nixon?

  17. #17
    Banned Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    11,048
    Godwinning the thread in its title is something...

    It's like every dictator really. Take Cambodian Red Khmers, for example.

  18. #18
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    sqrt(evil)
    Posts
    15,463
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSlinky View Post
    Hitler was in the Austrian army during WWI. Austria was the first country annexed by Germany, but Hitler was never a German soldier. Also I don't remember Garrosh doing any sort of fighting. He just kinda moped around in Nagrand until Thrall found him.
    Northrend? Even though he only showed how to be a terrible leader there.

    Hitler worked his way into the German government after around ten years. Garrosh became commander of the Northrend Expedition in the two years between BC and Wrath.
    I doubt we will see any kind of "10 years passed" scenario within wow. Well time travel is available now, so maybe we will? Anyway, simularities do not need to be the same for each and every aspect of something. We are not talking about making a carbon copy of hitler and paint it garrosh.


    Any leader is going to have a fortified capital. I can compare Joseph Stalin to Varian using this argument.
    Yeah I agree on this one. This is just a nonargument from the OP. I've done the same in every RTS ever too, and probably everyone that went past the first mission did so as well.

    This is pretty spot on.

    I think the Orcs will always be a better allegory of the Mongols. Highly militaristic, complete domination and destruction of their enemies, barbarian romanticism. The various Khans sound just like warlords of the Horde, and even the term Horde comes from the Mongols. Genghis Khan is a better comparison to Garrosh Hellscream in my opinion. It's a little obvious since the orcs have basically been modeled after Mongols since the first Warcraft, but maybe that's why I like Garrosh so much; the Mongols were the OG bad asses.
    Didnt mean to tear your argument apart, but this is fun. Whats next, how is Illidan like Richard Nixon?
    The thing is though that garrosh moved away from a clan principle and build his fraction exclusivly on race. Garrosh massivly invested in technology, which is also not very mongol, at least not in the romanticised way people look at them. Imho despite always aiming for the old ways (because of his daddy issues), we moved quite a bit away from the old horde.

    Btw: Trading one corruption for another, I just realized that garrosh's orcs should all have purple skin. Lol blizzard missed out on that one .

  19. #19
    Really? I fail to see any deathcamps and millions dead.(Theramore was the military target that was the launching point for invading horde lands). Hellscream was an asshole but not that bigger one.

  20. #20
    Writers often draw from real life historical events. I doubt that the people who craft the story of WoW are any different.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •