Walking back "Bring the Player Not the Class"?

Hi everybody,

reading all of the WoD info I noticed a few statements where blizz was saying they look forward to using these new raid sizes to bring back some role specific requirements in raids like they used int he old days (i.e. mage tank for high king/priest MC for Instructor Raz). Doesnt this work against the bring the player not the class idea? I for one think its awesome classes might get some of their flavor back. Thoughts?

I think it is safe to assume that in a 20 player raid you will have 1 of every single class no matter what though.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think "one of each" is more about "bring the player not the class" than "10 rogues" is about "bring the player not the class."

Once again. 9 times out of 10 the ONLY reason you will be class stacking is if you're in some cutting edge world first guild. Otherwise you'll be bringing the player over the class usually.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

As everyone so far has said in a 20 man raid there would most likely be 1 of each anyway , unlike 10 man where , as there are 11 classes it is impossible .

It seems counter-productive for them to remove many of the superfluous abilities from the classes, only to then turn around and add more of them back in.

If you take away 5 abilities and give me 4, you didn't really accomplish much.
    Last edited by Fyersing; 2013-11-17 at 02:36 AM.

Well, as adorably naïve as all this "you'll bring of each, why not?" echo-chambering is, we'll likely see what we already see: Guilds that have a "we will do the best we possibly can with who we have" mentality will still have blacklisted specs. If Frost is better than Fire in the first raiding tier of the expansion, Fire Mages will be asked to change fairly regularly when mythic progression begins. People wanting to play DKs might only get a single melee slot to argue over because why stack more melee when you don't have to and hurt progression attempts? Windwalkers will be walking that fine line of "god I hope they like me enough as a person to not go 'look dude, you don't bring raid utility, your offhealing is laughable and you're using up precious melee space that could go to someone who can save the raid from a mechanic. Have you tried Mistweaver instead?'"

There will likely still be some degree of "stacking" because of the freakishly huge advantages of having multiple Shamans who can do the same DPS as a high-latency Mage but can also offheal so hard (Thanks Blizz, they really needed that Storm Elemental talent, didn't they?) you can replace your weakest healer with another DPS. If Warlocks are still on top, even if not so far as they are now, people won't turn them away over say "Warrior #4."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
    Hi everybody,

reading all of the WoD info I noticed a few statements where blizz was saying they look forward to using these new raid sizes to bring back some role specific requirements in raids like they used int he old days (i.e. mage tank for high king/priest MC for Instructor Raz). Doesnt this work against the bring the player not the class idea? I for one think its awesome classes might get some of their flavor back. Thoughts?
    Never gonna be "bring the player not the class."
    Especially now when every class is so homogenized. For example healers, priests are not the only dispellers, every healer has a raid cooldown (more or less), every healer can tankheal, every healer can raid heal. So, if shamans heal more than priests, you bring shamans. If warlocks do more dps than rogue, you bring all the locks you have available.
    Homogenizing everything so people can "bring the player" has had the opposite effect, they can perform every role in raid so when one >>> than the other class, you bring said class. This is why you see constant(almost weekly) buffing/nerfing of classes these days, because it hurts way more now, than it did in the past, if there is a class outperforming the others. Homogenizing was a bad thing to do to PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgon View Post
    Hi everybody,

I support having more uniqueness and less homogenization in classes.

The general direction GC and his teammates have steered the game in the last two expansions is being slowly reversed by the original dev team returning to WoW. This is great. From no flying until 6.1 to mythic 20mans, to removal of reforging crap, designing encounters around class specific abilities, LFR being relegated to "last resort" status and to the gritty savage Orc expansion (yeah, suck it dumbass pandas!!!)

Deleted
    Its a some love to melees
    To find 10 man raid for melee dps is close to impossible unles they dint need something that your class provide.
    So bring "player not classs" atm is far from the truth