Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

New armor system?

3 days ago, @KxWilson tweeted this to Chris G. Robinson (Senior Art Director of Blizzard)

Quote Originally Posted by @KxWilson
    @artofcgrobinson Another thing, just as you managed to get asymmetrical face textures, I hope you can get the same for chests & tabards
    To which Chris Robinson responded with this, just 3 hours ago:

Originally Posted by @artofcgrobinson
    @KxWilson Hope to pull this off with new armor system I'll be talking about in the near future

New armor system? That makes me impatient to find out just what it is. I hope it is the use of more 3D armor models for chest, legs, and just all-around more unique armor. This has me on the edge of my seat waiting to find out. I'll probably be disappointed, but for now, stoked.

Thoughts?

its the all armor stats change for whatever spec ur in system.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    its the all armor stats change for whatever spec ur in system.
    Read the question before you respond. the question is about asymmetrical textures, not stats.

I highly HIGHLY doubt they'll remake 10 years worth of armor in full 3D. But if they do without forcing the expansion to be delayed until Fall, fuck yeah do it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Who knows.

Read the question before you respond. the question is about asymmetrical textures, not stats.

I highly HIGHLY doubt they'll remake 10 years worth of armor in full 3D. But if they do without forcing the expansion to be delayed until Fall, fuck yeah do it.

Yeah, I'm willing to wait an expansion before they update the armor.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Stat changes aren't really related to the main art guy so I am a bit curious too now...

It's the dumb down... oops, I mean, simplification that most forum folk seem to think is a marvelous idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's the dumb down... oops, I mean, simplification that most forum folk seem to think is a marvelous idea.
    Has nothing to do with your stats. It'ss related to the Art. That and your passive aggressiveness is showing to.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The question asked is about textures, not stats, and the one responding is a senior art director at Blizzard, so.. yeah, you sorta embarrassed yourself there. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Who knows.

Yeah, I'm willing to wait an expansion before they update the armor.
    I'm not. SoO is on the clock, it's got about 4-5 more months of interest from me before I probably idle my account until WoD comes out.

Honestly I think for that reason it'll probably just be "all new armor is in 3D" and they'll leave the old stuff as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

What if they start with armor that is (at the time of implementation) current and just create some extra reusable geosets for the older art? And yeah, I too can wait one expansion. In the end, though. Having new character models AND 3D armor would be GLORIOUS.

Deleted
    you're dumbed down. read the OP

I'm not. SoO is on the clock, it's got about 4-5 more months of interest from me before I probably idle my account until WoD comes out.

Honestly I think for that reason it'll probably just be "all new armor is in 3D" and they'll leave the old stuff as-is.

He meant that he'd be able to wait one more expansion until 3D armor, rather than delaying WoD to do it now. I also think it's not intended for WoD yet. Maybe it's going to be the 'new player models' of the expansion after WoD. (if it really is what's coming up. But it says new armor system, and that sounds pretty big so it's not a far-out assumption)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    He meant that he'd be able to wait one more expansion until 3D armor, rather than delaying WoD to do it now. I also think it's not intended for WoD yet. Maybe it's going to be the 'new player models' of the expansion after WoD. (if it really is what's coming up. But it says new armor system, and that sounds pretty big so it's not a far-out assumption)
    Yeah it is interesting that the art guy says new armor system in response to asymmetric textures.

Yeah it is interesting that the art guy says new armor system in response to asymmetric textures.

Yeah. If he said just 'new textures', I'd be like 'okay, pretty cool'. But he's talking about a new 'system'. That seems like a pretty major overhaul. I'm probably getting too excited and setting myself up for disappointment, though.

I find the lack of reading comprehension in this thread disturbing. I too hope for chest pieces that aren't painted on, but we'll have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. If he said just 'new textures', I'd be like 'okay, pretty cool'. But he's talking about a new 'system'. That seems like a pretty major overhaul. I'm probably getting too excited and setting myself up for disappointment, though.
    Just you wait, though. I guarantee you someone will post in here saying "they're removing class-specific tier designs." There's a few people floating that conspiracy theory right now.

Ooh...very interesting! Thank you for making this thread, can't wait to find out what it is! Hope it is indeed the 3D update of Chests,Legs and other "flat" armor pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    Ooh...very interesting! Thank you for making this thread, can't wait to find out what it is! Hope it is indeed the 3D update of Chests,Legs and other "flat" armor pieces.
    Chest and Legs are really all we need. Most gloves, shoes, and belts have 3D components now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    I find the lack of reading comprehension in this thread disturbing. I too hope for chest pieces that aren't painted on, but we'll have to wait and see.

Agreed. Currently, there are a few things dragging WoW back graphics-wise (after the model updates, that is) and those are the plant models (hard to fix), the lighting and lack of nights (already going to be fixed) and the fact that most of the armor is reused geosets from Classic and WotLK and painted on chest armor. If they really do make more and new armor models, then I'm really excited.

A lot of people will probably be like 'why? What's the use. It's not even important.' though. xP

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Currently, there are a few things dragging WoW back graphics-wise (after the model updates, that is) and those are the plant models (hard to fix), the lighting and lack of nights (already going to be fixed) and the fact that most of the armor is reused geosets from Classic and WotLK and painted on chest armor. If they really do make more and new armor models, then I'm really excited.

A lot of people will probably be like 'why? What's the use. It's not even important.' though. xP
    I was against the model update as a huge feature because "we cover it in gear."

Obviously making new armor in full-3D is a huge deal for me. As that's never covered up.