Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    It enables the optical output - for a home theatre amp for example.

Basically you want PCM for two channels since it doesn't have the bandwidth for PCM 5.1, and then dolby for surround. But the best option is PCM over HDMI if you want to have it hooked up to a multi channel amp.

Also, no need to have speaker shifter enabled. Same goes for EQ, especially when it has default setup. Like I said earlier, as little processing as possible.

For music disable dolby headphone as well and use two channels.

Deleted
    So I have it on 8 channels and have Dolby headphones selected. I also have high sound quality on WoW on. I can definitely hear the surround sound. Footsteps moving in a direction away from me sound great. However, everything sounds echoey. Is that just what happens? My char talking on /silly or whatever sounds like he's covering his mouth with his hands, trying to do a Bane voice. ;P

Not got much of a problem with it as I see surround and as an extra and I probably won't use it all the time, I'm just wondering.

Deleted
    How have you set up WoW settings, headphone mode is on? If yes, disable it, you're supposed to make WoW believe you have surround system.

But yes the virtual surround can be a bit odd. I personally use stereo with headphone mode, music sounds better that way. :-P

Deleted
    Did you also make sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

Don't forget the plantronics,. they're great and for a reasonable price

Don't buy turtlebeach or any other fake 3D headsets - they just have tiny little tinny sounding speakers, and your ears are always 2D. Any 3D perception can be faked by alternating the sound syncing from left to right.
    Just google virtual haircut - im sure youve heard it before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Don't forget the plantronics,. they're great and for a reasonable price
    He already bought headphones

Deleted
    Happy with the sound set up now, but I'd always like to try and get more volume. I've obviously now got it on headphones, 'exciter mode' and I have the volume in mixer up to 95%. Anything else I could do? 100% still doesn't hurt my ears ;P

Deleted
    if you bought the 250 ohm headphones, think the sound card is at its limit :P, 250 ohms is a lot, you can get 600 ohms one, but those have a insane price tag just bear in mind.

if you want more volume, then you will need to invest in a headphone amp, you can prob aquire a stand alone headphone amp and get the required cables, will show a example set up

something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-St...+mm+rca+cables
    from your sound card
    to some thing like
    http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-07-...s=schiit+magni
    however, if you want a entry level high end sound system, the magni ive linked here has a pairing DAC or external sound card
    http://www.amazon.com/Modi-USB-Digit...d_bxgy_e_img_y

this works via usb into the modi, via RCA to RCA cables to the modi, and you have something that is audiophile quality.

- - - Updated - - -

it does mean that modi renders your sound card useless, but the headphone amp is a potential solution and the one linked is more of an example