Deleted

(Guardian) - Question regarding the 79% crit softcap

Hey guys

Okay so i'm very confused regarding this crit softcap, ppl says its 79% and i really don't get it.. i tried to research it (google) and all i got was that my character would prefer glancing blows above melee crits when you reach beyond 79% crit which in my head doesnt really make sence.

I really do not see the benefit in having a hard-to-reach softcap to make glancing blows occur instead of melee crits, aren't glancing blows bad? wouldn't melee crits not only deal more damage but also generate more rage?

Like seriously it sounds really dumb to me, and i don't even understand how it could work, how can a high amount of crit make your melee hits prefer not to crit but rather perform a weaker version of the normal melee hits?? It would make much more sence if the crit softcap actualy did something like - mangle will have a 100% crit chance or something like that.

Maybe i just misunderstood it, but pretty much everywhere i read something like this:

"The cap is 79%, the reason being that blocks and glancing blows will always be prioritized over critical strikes and so after 79%, you stop getting more melee crits."

To me it sounds like reversed logic "at a really high crit value your melee swings will STOP performing critical strikes" WUT?!

15+ Year Old Account
    While these weren't written recently, there's value in looking through them:

http://wowpedia.org/Attack_table
    http://wowpedia.org/Critical_strike#Crit_cap
    Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras

I can give a simplified version, if you wish.

The 79% crit soft cap has everything to do with auto-attacks (our largest source of rage is from auto-attacks, which is why we care about it). The basis behind this number is that there is always a chance that an auto-attack will be a glancing blow, which works out to be about 24%... and there's absolutely nothing we can do to reduce the chance of glancing blows. Even if you have 100% crit chance, you'll still have the same number of glancing blows with auto-attacks as if you have 0% crit chance. The math works out (after accounting for boss level suppression) that having about 79% crit on your char sheet will allow all your auto-attacks to either crit or be a glancing blow, which is the best you can literally do with auto-attacks. I should mention this is why hit/expertise are so important, because Miss/Dodge/Parry will reduce the amount you actually crit, as well.

Special attacks, such as Mangle, use a different combat table. Special attacks cannot be glancing blows, so these attacks can benefit from crit going above 79%.

As things are, Haste begins to supercede Crit in terms of rage generation after 79% because more frequent auto-attacks will tend to generate more rage than higher crit chances on Mangle.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Imagine a 100-sided dice.

Every time you perfom an auto-attack you roll this dice. Each of its sides is labeled as either crit, hit, miss, dodge, parry or glancing. Blizzard decided back in the day that no matter what you do 24 of those sides will always be labeled glancing. That means that even if you have an 80% crit chance only 76 sides will be labeled crit thus resulting in 4% of that crit chance having no effect.

Now why is the crit cap 79% instead of 76%? The reason is when fighting bosses 3% of your crit will always be removed before any calculations happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupi View Post
    Now why is the crit cap 79% instead of 76%? The reason is when fighting bosses 3% of your crit will always be removed before any calculations happen.
    We call this effect "crit suppression".
    Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I can give a simplified version, if you wish.

The 79% crit soft cap has everything to do with auto-attacks (our largest source of rage is from auto-attacks, which is why we care about it). The basis behind this number is that there is always a chance that an auto-attack will be a glancing blow, which works out to be about 24%... and there's absolutely nothing we can do to reduce the chance of glancing blows. Even if you have 100% crit chance, you'll still have the same number of glancing blows with auto-attacks as if you have 0% crit chance. The math works out (after accounting for boss level suppression) that having about 79% crit on your char sheet will allow all your auto-attacks to either crit or be a glancing blow, which is the best you can literally do with auto-attacks. I should mention this is why hit/expertise are so important, because Miss/Dodge/Parry will reduce the amount you actually crit, as well.

Special attacks, such as Mangle, use a different combat table. Special attacks cannot be glancing blows, so these attacks can benefit from crit going above 79%.

As things are, Haste begins to supercede Crit in terms of rage generation after 79% because more frequent auto-attacks will tend to generate more rage than higher crit chances on Mangle.
    Perfect explanation thanks alot bro! i get it now ^^