Video recording software

Hello, I'm trying to record some SWTOR footage and Fraps doesn't cut it.

Requirements:
    Must be able to capture at 60 FPS / 1080p
    Must be able to capture to a network share

Problem with Fraps - when I try to store recorded footage on network share, I get 20 FPS in game and everything really choppy. I tested my mounted Z disk with Crystal Mark - 70-80 megabytes/s sequential write and same speed for random writes (that second graph). Trying to record to local drives - everything's fine and silky smooth.

Problem is that my two local drives are 160 gB SSD and another 80 gB SSD. So no way I will screw my SSDs with random big files.

Any suggestions for recording software or should I just buy a hard drive (which I do not want to do, buying an useless HDD just for recordings).

10+ Year Old Account
    To the computer forum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to record some SWTOR footage and Fraps doesn't cut it.

buying an useless HDD just for recordings).
    this is exactly what you actually need, unless you get bandicam which generates a much smaller file footprint, but with some compatibility issues with some editting softwares

Deleted
    You could try MSI Afterburner, but ideally you want ~100MB/s to record 1080p without hitches.

I use Open broadcaster software I think it gives better results than fraps, its free and it also doesn't eat hd space.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    You could try MSI Afterburner, but ideally you want ~100MB/s to record 1080p without hitches.
    the write speed isnt the actual issues, its the bandwidth, if a drive just writes, its fine, it will have no issue in this regard, you want to record on a seperate drive, i know this from experience with varying hardware, the hard drive is the biggest factor and having a separate drive just for recording or at the least not where the game is makes the biggest difference at that setting

- - - Updated - - -

also worth a note, msi afterburner cant record a game thats in 64 bit, but dont think swtor has that issue, this is something that rivatuner has issues with, it doesnt support 64 bit applications

Deleted
    Try ffsplit or openbroadcaster.

OBS and use the settings as suggested in this thread.

https://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2972

Do you have a Nvidia 600 or 700 series graphics card?

Nvidia's Shadowplay BETA just happens to support the settings you're looking for (1080p, 60 FPS) and only requires a write speed of ~5 MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    ShadowPlay doesn't record at 30 FPS so it's CPU impact is larger than DXTory copying 30 FPS
    ShadowPlay is hardware accelerated so the CPU impact is negligible and likely less than DXTory @ 30 FPS.

Sadly all I got is Radeon 280x (wanted to buy GTX 770, but on other forums were talking about Mantle this Mantle that and I went with the hype ).

Anyways.

With my NAS I'm screwed. Fraps and DXTory just craps out when I try to write to it. On SSD it's fine. Even tho DXTory says bandwith is 70-80 mB/s:

Latency issues? Samba sucks?

Only solution is to do compressing. And compression on the fly doesn't let me do 60 FPS (Intel i5 4670).

Right now I'm settling for 30 FPS, because I really do not want to buy a HDD just for this.

And using Open Broadcaster Software. Really amazing software and free too! Thanks for suggesting it, really appreciate it. <3 Big plus it that it works with QuickSync, so while recording I still get over 60 FPS in game and CPU usage goes only by 5%. But if I try to do 60 FPS, tons of frame skipping.

Deleted
    evn, you simply say "Dxtory", yet the performance boils down to the codec used and the settings related to that. Did you use Dxtory default codec or Lagarith? You should've also tried x264vfw.

"ShadowPlay doesn't record at 30 FPS so it's CPU impact is larger than DXTory copying 30 FPS"
    Did you test on this or just assume? Shadowplay's impact on performance is very low.

ldev: Check if these settings work with x264vfw codec used with Dxtory: link.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2013-11-17 at 04:01 AM.

UPDATE UPDATE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

Tried Bandicam with QuickSync - smooth 60 FPS on my NAS!!!!!

Okay I see people are arguing - yeah codecs, codec setting, after two hours of messing I'm fed up, Bandicam works, I don't care as a consumer about anything else.
    Last edited by ldev; 2013-11-17 at 04:20 AM.

Deleted
    You should have tried MSI Afterburner. It is just as easy to use as Bandicam, totally free and, unlike Bandicam, there is no watermark.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    You should have tried MSI Afterburner. It is just as easy to use as Bandicam, totally free and, unlike Bandicam, there is no watermark.
    I asked my mom nicely and she gave me 39 dolla.

Too late to regret!