Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    and 69696969 was?
    We didn't all play paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    did you completely miss the entire active mitigation revolution?
    No? No, I didn't. It's just not that complicated. Spend rage on absorbs. Make sure you have an absorb up for unavoidable biggies. It really doesn't complicate things that much. Compared to the challenges of tanking in TBC it's child's play. Maybe it's different for other classes but Warrior tanking today is as easy as it's ever been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    (oh, and remember threat management on fights like Gruul?) as well as planning your pickup on new adds, etc..
    I don't think people do. Or they played Paladins and think every class was that easy.

Add management alone would be enough to make the comparison crazy. In TBC it was such an insane chore to pick up more than 1 add, now I basically LOLEAPTCLAP and pick up every mob within a 5 mile radius and they stick to me like ugly starving hookers in January.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently got my first tank in nearly 8 years of WoW to 90.

And I'm gonna be honest, I regret it, I'm probably going to go ret for anything but premade groups with friends, and nothing has made me hate other people as much as tanking has. I like tanking. I like the mechanics of it. It's fun, and doing it for friends is pretty cool. But random groups? Never, never, NEVER AGAIN. Between the hunters and warlocks who refuse to take their pet's taunt off, the healers who spam their worst heal while semi-AFK and get mad when you make them work a little (because you should apparently never be running heroics in anything less than full LFR gear, and if you're trying to replace that ONE item that just won't drop, you're supposed to pull a higher ilvl replacement out of your ass or something because god forbid the healer should have to actually, yanno, HEAL), the Derpknights DPSing in blood presence, and the general bitchy "everything is your fault even if it was something stupid I did to get my own stupid self killed" attitude people have? I'm so disgusted with the behavior of random groups that I'm not sure I want to do LFD/LFR for a while at ALL, let alone on my tank.

I used to think tanks were a bunch of jerkass primadonnas.
    Then I rolled one.
    Now I know why they act that way.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    Tanking is considerably more complicated now than it was in TBC. The only difficult part of tanking Shattered halls as a warrior tank was a distinct lack of any meaningful AoE (lolthunderclap) so it was a frantic RSI inducing tab/sunder mess. That and the Timer/Execution thing so you had to storm through to get your extra badge.
    You must be kidding me right? I had Shield Wall once every HOUR. Just because I have more buttons doesn't make it more complicated. Threat isn't an issue. AOE Tanking isn't an issue. I decide to use Shield Block or Barrier depending on incoming physical vs magical damage and try to do as much damage as possible.

Paladin tanks are even easier, I just spam my shield of righteousness for that 40% damage reduction and wait 3 seconds if I just used it and got a proc. MAN SIGNIFICANTLY MORE COMPLEX.

To be brutally honest i dislike tanking in LFR due to the limited amount i can afk.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NathSB View Post
    I'd like to add:

4. Tank who doesn't know what he/she's doing, but actually says this and asks for advice and tactics. Usually does excellently after a short explanation, and so does the rest of the raid.

Actually seen quite a few of these lately. It's nice!
    Going by your description of your typical LFR run we must be in the same runs; because to believe the people on forums, only one run of that kind happens each week so we must be getting into it.

Keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

That's Blizzard repeating what tanks say when asked.

Tanks certainly SAY that's why they aren't tanking LFR. Whether or not this is actually true and representative of all tanks is another matter.

Personally I've had a blast tanking and if anything I've had fewer shitty experiences than when I was DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am very nice to any tank I find who is exceptional at their job and class, because those tanks tend to be very rare.. But if you're an idiot, I'm going to call you out as such.
    Also, from my experience, the tank is usually the aggressor. More so when they aren't very skilled..

I only have a problem with mouthy tanks that think they are a gift to WoW, and tanks that just pull whenever the hell they feel like it.

Biting the hand that feeds!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Tanking in the games history: Get threat. AFK.
    If by in the games history you mean the brief period in Wrath/Cata, then sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Etoo View Post
    I only have a problem with mouthy tanks that think they are a gift to WoW, and tanks that just pull whenever the hell they feel like it.
    When I join a dungeon as a tank, first thing I do is say "hi everybody. Heads up: I'm going to pull like a maniac". Then it's go time.

At least I warn them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    This too. I find a good tank rarely gets too much abuse, really. Not saying it won't/doesn't happen, but even if it does, if community interaction is making people not choose tanking that again is a game design problem. I don't understand how many times it needs to be nailed for Blizzard (and the players themselves, sometimes) to learn that you can't expect a community to fix itself.
    How does a person become a good tank? I haven't played WOW since the end of cata but I can assure you that it was the same back then with LFR. I could do LFR in my sleep and had been for ages. My first time tanking I left the group after the first wipe because of the complaining, mostly directed at myself. Even the other tank had a few choice words to say. This was after 1 wipe and I even indicated at the beginning of the fight that it was my first time on the boss. IIRC, it wasn't even my fault as the other tank died (Ultraxion). It was similar in dungeons where people would pull before you are even ready. I did a number of runs after that but people do need to lay off the tanks a bit if they want shorter queues. A DPS can fail and hardly anyone notices, a tank fails and the world comes to an end.

I suggested it a long time ago and I am not sure if they have changed it but one thing I would have done was let people select a loot type that is different from their present spec. I know the whole loot system is different now but that was a big problem with tanks in the past.

Tanks need more rewards to motivate them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Meh, I have a Blood offspec, too with no tanking gear. If I need a quick queue I'll hop in as a tank, or if the tank in there is a complete moron(which is saying a lot, since even a trained monkey throwing feces at the screen can typically tank LFR) I'll go Blood and tell him to just step aside.

That said, I don't tank them because tanking is a boring monkey's job in LFR. It has nothing to do with treatment for me, I've never had anyone complain or criticize my tanking in LFR.
    I never said the difficulty was as insane as, oh, Devil May Cry on "Dante Must Die" mode.

#FlightIsImportant

Do onto others.....
    Seriously i am nice to the tanks... unless they are "LOL I'M ELITE U NOOB" or blame the healer for everything even if it isn't the healer that is the issue

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Tanks need more rewards to motivate them.
    We just need further ways to punish people who disrespect others in dungeons.

I say add in some sort of rating system after each run for dungeons/scenarios... after each one, you get to rank the four other people in your group as positive or negative.

After a while, people who get rated up as being positive would go "up" in rank and be more consistently grouped with one another, while people that are consistently ranked negatively would drop down into the other people who are rated negatively... you might even go as far as to reward increased valor/etc to people who are highly positively ranked.

Gives incentive, no?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The only way to solve this issue is to lessen the load on tanks. That means increasing the relative presence of the role in a group, something like 8 tank 8 heal 9 DPS in a 25 man environment. Only then will players even think about playing the tank role, because they don't want to stand out by being one of the two tanks.

Casual non-tank players are scared of tanking because they don't know everything about the boss/instance/raid, and are afraid of failing at something. Until these players start tanking by choice, tanks will be rare and have insta-queues.

Did everyone miss the blue quote a while back where they said LFR is for people jumping in. You were never expected to have to look up videos. It's only the impatient people who can't stand to wipe who have a problem with having uninformed tanks.

The primary difference between tanks, healers, and dps: 2, 5, 18

It's *A LOT* easier to see mistakes tanks make than anyone else. People in LFR generally are not intelligent enough to look at what's going on, look at the numbers, and make an informed decision as to what the mistake was. Tanks are also front and center, generally, so mistakes are made obvious to everyone around them and also multiply if a boss is attacking them as they take significantly more damage.

LFR also tends to prefer over-geared tanks. Many people in this thread seem to forget what it's like taking on content at the iLvl it was aimed for. This means SoO LFR is aimed at 496 entry. A tank with 496 gear and crap trinkets will take considerably more damage and be more difficult to heal than a 543 tank with nice trinkets. Healers tend to not like this as this means they can't carry another 2-3 healers.

The only time I'll notice a DPS called out is when fights take too long *and* you wipe.

I'll mention this again, because there's confusion: LFR is NOT aimed at people who have watched the video's. Period. Blue's have said such, pretty sure it was the flying bird dude... but I can't exactly recall and I'm about to head to bed. Google it or call me a liar. Whatever.

Shift+J look for the shields, that's all you really need to know. Sometimes it's hard to know certain scales of things. Ok -- as an example that deals 80k + 50% each stack. Ok, so how many stacks is that? Is there also AoE damage that has to be taken in to account? Is it magic or physical?

Ever notice how when a fight requires a DPS or healer to pay attention that it rarely happens? Case in point for healers: Sha of Pride trash.

Ok, so some here have said that mechanics are yawn worthy... Keep banging on Elegon while that floor despawns and let me know how that works out for you. And how that walk of shame feels. It's a fantastic mechanic though -- you quickly go 'wtf' and fairly quickly figure out what and why -- allowing you to avoid it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    The only way to solve this issue is to lessen the load on tanks. That means increasing the relative presence of the role in a group, something like 8 tank 8 heal 9 DPS in a 25 man environment. Only then will players even think about playing the tank role, because they don't want to stand out by being one of the two tanks.

Casual non-tank players are scared of tanking because they don't know everything about the boss/instance/raid, and are afraid of failing at something. Until these players start tanking by choice, tanks will be rare and have insta-queues.
    Aside from just creating huge waves of adds for those 8 tanks to pick up - how would you keep the 7 other tanks busy the whole fight?