Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateng View Post
    would that be the strategy where you hide in the corner holding your balls during siege phase? Because I hate that strat and my guild uses it
    Yeah....... That's the one. /sigh

But to be fair, if your raid is able to make up for the dmg u lose in that phase there's no point not doing it, makes it extremely easy to keep people up :P Just makes it really hard to rank x)

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I was sitting on 440k dps on Spoils yesterday. Had to jump over and help other side, dropped to 390's, so sad.

OT:
    But hitting 400k dps isn't hard. It depends alot on what tacts ur guild is using more than anything. I wont ever get a top 10 ranking on Iron Jugg because of the tactic my guild uses for example. You just have to accept it.
    We do the same thing. It is pretty frustrating when the guild keeps using the "safe" strategies that we used for progression. We stand around with our fingers up our asses during siege phase, don't group up all 3 bosses during Protectors, melee (me and/or a rogue) have to get off Nazgrim and DPS adds, I never get to go down first on Norushen, I'm on belt duty on Siegecrafter, Sha is complete RNG with Gift, etc. Only bosses I have any chance of ranking on are Galakras, Malkorok, and Thok.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    We do the same thing. It is pretty frustrating when the guild keeps using the "safe" strategies that we used for progression. We stand around with our fingers up our asses during siege phase, don't group up all 3 bosses during Protectors, melee (me and/or a rogue) have to get off Nazgrim and DPS adds, I never get to go down first on Norushen, I'm on belt duty on Siegecrafter, Sha is complete RNG with Gift, etc. Only bosses I have any chance of ranking on are Galakras, Malkorok, and Thok.
    Perhaps ranking matters less and less as fights become more and more complex in wow? Impossible to tell which ranked parses are from "ranking strats" (more time to kill bosses from wiping and sub-optimal dps from players told to slow dps for ranking player's benefit) and which from legit strats (optimal group dps strat to kill boss asap for a guild speed kill rank).
    Last edited by ElChig; 2013-11-23 at 07:45 PM.

Ranking has always been a thing of bragging rights and nothing else. There is a certain point in raiding even where it becomes more important to kill quicker, end fights and progress, than to rank.
    It would be nice if ranking was done in a smarter way, rewarding players for executing correctly and not cheesing mechanics/playing dangerously; but that just isn't feasible. I detest sloppy kills, so doing a type of strat that kills people just as often as it ranks them, isn't worth it in my opinion.

I would say, focus on doing a good job within your strategy and then worry about ranking from there. Last tier I was always on the first platform group for Ji-kun. Given our strat that meant I could never get the buff, and thus all my ranks for that fight were green. I was fine with that, because the damage I was doing was good for the strategy I was doing.

Edit:
    TLDR: Play well and focus on a good job should come first, scumbaging a distant second. Play well and you'll get good ranks. Just because you don't get rank 1 doesn't mean your not among the best players in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastig View Post
    Have good gear, its PVE people Gear is 95% u gotta pretty fking terrible if u wanna mess up a 'rotation'
    I really wish people would have some idea what high level is PvE is like before posting stuff like this :/

But yeah, I can say, judging by our fury warrior, that the Thok trinket does make a significant difference to DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add latency to the list. If you play in Australia don't expect rank 1 logs on 180-200ms...

I use to care about logs but after years of raiding I care more about the raid team doing the right thing to reduce wipes and get farm/prog cleared within our limited raid hours.

Agree with the fact that ranking doesn't = good player, but once you have a boss on farm and have killed it 5+ times a given way there is little left to get excited about. Im 10man so Ill never even see half the loot I want, have virtually zero chance of ever seeing warforged stuff (ive had one warforged piece in ToT and SoO combined), and without pushing the fights or doing something "risky" I find little reason to log on to raid anymore.

Rankings definitely translate to good player, but I try to get the point across that there isn't always a tangible difference in skill between players who rank 1 and rank 20 (for example). I would say anyone who ranks top 50 (or even 100) consistently amongst the better players in the world.
    Many times I've gotten rank 1 this tier, and it is nice to attain; but I care much more about simply doing a good job, competing with/beating my own personal history of ranks with the boss, and slaying pixels.
    I like epeenbot for this; it removes the "rank number" and simply gives me a metric to go off of. If I've always gotten purples on a fight, I know where to aim for, and see where I can improve to get an Orange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Ranking has always been a thing of bragging rights and nothing else. There is a certain point in raiding even where it becomes more important to kill quicker, end fights and progress, than to rank.
    It would be nice if ranking was done in a smarter way, rewarding players for executing correctly and not cheesing mechanics/playing dangerously; but that just isn't feasible. I detest sloppy kills, so doing a type of strat that kills people just as often as it ranks them, isn't worth it in my opinion.

I would say, focus on doing a good job within your strategy and then worry about ranking from there. Last tier I was always on the first platform group for Ji-kun. Given our strat that meant I could never get the buff, and thus all my ranks for that fight were green. I was fine with that, because the damage I was doing was good for the strategy I was doing.

Edit:
    TLDR: Play well and focus on a good job should come first, scumbaging a distant second. Play well and you'll get good ranks. Just because you don't get rank 1 doesn't mean your not among the best players in the game.
    If you killed the lower nest quick enough you could grab the PN buff flying up.

- - - Updated - - -

Rankings definitely translate to good player, but I try to get the point across that there isn't always a tangible difference in skill between players who rank 1 and rank 20 (for example). I would say anyone who ranks top 50 (or even 100) consistently amongst the better players in the world.
    Many times I've gotten rank 1 this tier, and it is nice to attain; but I care much more about simply doing a good job, competing with/beating my own personal history of ranks with the boss, and slaying pixels.
    I like epeenbot for this; it removes the "rank number" and simply gives me a metric to go off of. If I've always gotten purples on a fight, I know where to aim for, and see where I can improve to get an Orange.
    Yes, consistent rankings throughout tiers is a better gauge of skill than pure ranks. Some fights are cheese/strat, but others are going to be hugely impacted by gear (heroic malk. It's basically Tank n spank w/ some cleave and very light movement, nothing a good warrior will lose DPS over). I'm currently ~5-8 ilvls behind many people, with way worse weps and trinkets, but I still rank, but I doubt I'll get very many top 10s until we get better drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    If you killed the lower nest quick enough you could grab the PN buff flying up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, consistent rankings throughout tiers is a better gauge of skill than pure ranks. Some fights are cheese/strat, but others are going to be hugely impacted by gear (heroic malk. It's basically Tank n spank w/ some cleave and very light movement, nothing a good warrior will lose DPS over). I'm currently ~5-8 ilvls behind many people, with way worse weps and trinkets, but I still rank, but I doubt I'll get very many top 10s until we get better drops.
    Thank you for undermining my point. And you'll still only rank in those silly 10 mans! :P

Agree with the fact that ranking doesn't = good player, but once you have a boss on farm and have killed it 5+ times a given way there is little left to get excited about. Im 10man so Ill never even see half the loot I want, have virtually zero chance of ever seeing warforged stuff (ive had one warforged piece in ToT and SoO combined), and without pushing the fights or doing something "risky" I find little reason to log on to raid anymore.
    Wat..

Why are people relying on getting wf items in 10man? U get way less loot to begin with and then the chance of getting wf items are miniscule :P And tbh, playing the game just for gear isn't really a good reason :P

For reference, my guild's only at Siegecrafter and I have 7 wf items (6 of em hc wf).

And doing something risky to rank mean you're actually not that great. Gotten a few top 25 ranks from simply doing the fight and not cheesing myself, and that's the way I wanna do it. Getting rank 1 while doing absolutely nothing else for the raid is meaningless and makes u worthless, in my opinion. Getting rank 1 while doing eeeeverything u're supposed to makes u a fantastic player.

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    Wat..

Why are people relying on getting wf items in 10man? U get way less loot to begin with and then the chance of getting wf items are miniscule :P And tbh, playing the game just for gear isn't really a good reason :P

For reference, my guild's only at Siegecrafter and I have 7 wf items (6 of em hc wf).

And doing something risky to rank mean you're actually not that great. Gotten a few top 25 ranks from simply doing the fight and not cheesing myself, and that's the way I wanna do it. Getting rank 1 while doing absolutely nothing else for the raid is meaningless and makes u worthless, in my opinion. Getting rank 1 while doing eeeeverything u're supposed to makes u a fantastic player.
    I never said "relying" on getting WF. My point was that after killing a boss multiple times in a manner that makes ranking impossible there is nothing left to raid for, SINCE I have no chance of getting WF. Just showing up to raid the exact same thing over and over with no progression, no change in fight strat, and no drops is boring.

And by "risky", I mean a strategy that can actually lead to ranks, i.e. it is safer to have the whole raid away from IJ during siege phase, but you will never rank like that. I am not talking about putting yourself in risk of dying just to score more personal DPS, or ignoring the your raids strategy to increase personal DPS. I'm not going to ask to stay on Blackfuse the whole time just so I can rank, but it would be nice to have all 3 protectors grouped up instead of He off to the side.
    Last edited by Skarssen; 2013-11-24 at 05:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseby View Post
    I think a lot of people who focus primarily upon PvE would disagree with you.
    I ATM focus for 100% on PVE gear is pretty much everything in pve

Quote Originally Posted by Lastig View Post
    I ATM focus for 100% on PVE gear is pretty much everything in pve
    Gear is a factor, but not the only, nor the most important factor.

People like to blame gear first and foremost because it takes the blame for their poor performance out of their hands. "my low DPS couldn't possibly be MY problem, it has to be gear"

Deleted
    Gear is a factor, but not the only, nor the most important factor.

People like to blame gear first and foremost because it takes the blame for their poor performance out of their hands. "my low DPS couldn't possibly be MY problem, it has to be gear"
    Think he means something more along the lines of using maybe the warriors in the top 50-100 guilds in the world, assuming that play on a pretty comparable skilllvl and use fights with as little mechanic based RNG (so not Sha) as possible.
    For those players, gear is definitely the most deciding factor there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for undermining my point. And you'll still only rank in those silly 10 mans! :P
    Damn it IRL friends are OP :P YOU AND YUR STUPID EXTRA LOOT.

There are certain fights like H siegecrafter you just want to get it over and done with. Especially when you are full time belt

i loved siege, really required thought positionally and fast reactions especially when bladestorming on top of the crawler mines, belt to me was just about getting a rhythm... but it was much more fun as my offspec tbh

I didn't get to BS as my DR was needed for the belt.

Personally didn't like running on the belt. I didn't like the constant jumping and running around but that wasn't the main issue.

We had a shredder tank that couldn't down the add propery. After failing that for 3 weeks, we had to recruit and gear another just to get through the fight.

really? thats quite bad, 2nd time my guild killed it for 2 hours both main tanks weren't their, so me and a ms boomkin went our off specs, had tank cloaks bought by the gb and then in 2 goes i'd perfected killing the first add, we each made mistakes on the odd occasion but we'd have killed it if the dps played better(seemed i was missed on the belts), then one of our main tanks came back and i tanked with him and i kept my spot as killing the first shredder and getting 7 stacks first, and we 1 shot it.