Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nah. There's no such thing as "best game ever", far too many variables.

10+ Year Old Account

You just keeeeep me haaangin' onnnnn!

Deleted
    I personally agree, I find World of Warcraft the best video game ever.

I know state of mind or many people which are visiting this forum wont allow them to see it - but Blizzard has created something very special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Well opinions are subjective of course. In a matter of claiming to be the worlds best you need to have statistics and facts to make that. But in my opinion WoW is the best MMO I have played, totally agree OP on that.

As far as longevity goes it doesn't compete yet to specific titles include Mario Brothers, Madden, and other console games that have been around for a lot longer.
    Yes, there are some very good games, maybe better than Wow. But when you take all factors into consideration, I must say Wow is the best game I've had the chance to play.

Just a question ... Do you have played Super Mario (or any other game) on a regular basis, almost daily, for 9 years? The answer is in the question.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

As far as MMO's go, yes, it is the best ever.

I've played, Rift, Lotro, Warhammer and AoC, none came close, I always came back to WoW.

People shouldn't be playing if they don't enjoy it, end of.

Maybe the best of its genre, yes. But not even close as a whole. Like some other people said, its the community that ultimately made the game enjoyable. Blizzard just got lucky that they released the game at the right time.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I can think of games that I've enjoyed playing more than WoW, in the short term, in the combined time since I started playing in 2007, no game has come close to holding my interest like WoW, nor have I enjoyed a game more on average.

By all accounts WoW isn't the greatest game of all time, but anyone who's been playing for more than a few months should be able to realize that there really isn't another game that eats up months and years of time.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So, it occurs to me after 7 years of playing and 4 years of forum viewing on the official site, this has to be the greatest game of all time. If people love it, they talk about it. If they hate it, they talk about it (probably in the hopes of fixing whatever they hate). Even players who don't even play anymore will still stop by and offer their opinion and claim they don't really care.

I think people do care. I think the millions of players this game has seen, past or current, cannot stay away from it. They are enthralled by the game, the memories it holds, and the surprises just around the corner. Someone did a poll recently asking who was buying the next expac and the response was overwhelming. The next expansion is 6-10 months away from release and yet it has its own General Discussion thread on this very site.

People can act big and bad all they like, and complain til they are blue in the face, but the truth is, this is still their favorite MMO of all time. I won't deny it is mine. Have been with WoW since Jan 19, 2007. I plan to stick around til the servers shut down. I am not a hardcore raider, so my view is likely skewed by the fact that I just play the game. It is not a full time thing for me. But I log in each day, play how I want to play, hang out with friends, and call it a day after a few hours.

I can safely say, in my own personal opinion on this subject, without any broad stroke generalizations, or trying to speak for anyone but myself, this is the greatest MMO of all time. I've tried the rest and keep coming back to WoW. It is unlike any other MMO on the planet.
    I have to disagree with you, its the genre thats the best...not the game. Everything you just posted, for me, can also be said about ultima online. After 15 years of playing and visiting forums for me, I haven't played retail UO in over a decade and still drop by retail UO forums to see where the games at. I haven't played retail WoW in about a year and still drop by forums to see where the games at. I haven't played retail DAOC, Neocron or Shadowbane for over 6 years now and I still drop by those forums and see where those games are at.

My favorite mmo of all time has to be UO, because ive been doing exactly what you say in this post with it for 15 years now and only 10 or so for wow.

I think you're correct about the genre - when you invest years into a MMO you never want to let that go. I played retail UO from 97-02 and since then I have still put 6+ months of daily gaming into various servers that emulate the good old days on a number of occasions (ipy, novus opiate, ipy2, currently uo:f). For me its the game I always end up going back to, but really its the genre that has me hooked. I love seeing whats new in old games from a decade ago and going back to check it out. WoW is part of this, but its nowhere near the oldest or only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    You spelled Metal Gear Solid wrong.
    That's not even a real thing :P

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Maybe the best of its genre, yes. But not even close as a whole. Like some other people said, its the community that ultimately made the game enjoyable. Blizzard just got lucky that they released the game at the right time.
    Actually, it's very much and very specifically the game itself.

Many RPG's have the potential to be better, For example, Skyrim online, Fallout online.. If only the skyrim online mod worked!! They would just be amazing, Elder scrolls online Is nothing like how you would imagine Skyrim online being, If they left it RPG style and added multiplayer, Just questing normally as if it where singleplayer, but encountering other people on your travels, it would be AMAZING! but they have made it into a "MMORPG" just like any-other by the looks of it, which completely kills what could of been good about it.

On that basis, that most people just don't bother reinventing the genre and creating greatness, I agree, wow is the best game ever. But many other games have had potential to be so much better, they just choose not too it seems.

I base my opinion of "best game ever" on replayability alone though. In my eyes, a singleplayer game (Skyrim for e.g) can never be the best game ever for me, I play it once, yes, it is awesome, but I only play it once. Wow keeps you playing for years. Prior to playing wow my personal "best game ever" was Pokemon.. Simply because it lasted so long. I love games that last a long time, I see it as a total waste of time and money when you get a game, no matter how good, and it only has about 24 hours of decent gameplay, That is what makes most RPG's fall short for me. No game will ever outdo a MMO for me for that reason.
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-11-18 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nah. There's no such thing as "best game ever", far too many variables.
    Fortunately it is subjective. I cannot name another game which I have played almost daily for the last 7 years and paid monthly to do so. Between game time and other purchases from WoW, I have over $2500 invested for the last 7 years. I cannot think of another game in which I have done so much, for so long, and still want to play every single day. No other game has captured me this way.

For me, taking nothing but personal enjoyment into account, a game along the lines of Quake 3 or UT 2004 would hold the crown.... the main draw being that the community got very involved in creating maps, which extended gameplay a great deal (granted, the add-on community here is likely responsible for driving a lot of game improvements over the years as well, but that's not really the same sort of thing). Yes, they were simply shooter games with no real single player to speak of, but the possibilities were nearly endless. LAN matches using games like this... there were times I've never laughed so hard in my life.

But the comparison between these and WoW so apples to oranges, it really can't be made. Blizzard must be proud that so many of their players hold this game in the regard they do.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2013-11-18 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    Yes, there are some very good games, maybe better than Wow. But when you take all factors into consideration, I must say Wow is the best game I've had the chance to play.

Just a question ... Do you have played Super Mario (or any other game) on a regular basis, almost daily, for 9 years? The answer is in the question.
    You didn't get what I was saying.

I never claimed those are better games then WoW. I am saying that there are IPs out there that have been around a lot longer then 9 years and the only definitive way to claim a game is the best is through statistics, its the only biased way.

In my personal opinion WoW is the best game that I have ever played. There isn't a game that I have played as long as WoW and enjoy to this day (except Diablo I have played it longer then WoW and still enjoy it but not as much). My reasoning is because of the community and story. I bet you can create the same forum topic on GW2 forum and people thinking that GW2 is the best MMO.

I have to agree, though not the best game of all time, It has been the only game I have been coming back for/get excited for. I've tried other MMOs and they just don't capture me like WoW does. Though I take breaks often from this game I still love to come back and see what they are doing to it and such.

WoD is making me come back, can't wait to give it a try. Hopefully I can get my friends to come back and join me, otherwise I will have to turn to PvP again and that won't last long... :P

Looking at hours played, number of subscribers etc. it is hard to see that it's not the best game ever. I would rate it as the best game ever without a shadow of a doubt. It doesn't mean it can't get better though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without a doubt the best game ever, Counter Strike Source is the only competitor for me and I thought that was unbeatable, but WoW is just so damn good. Played CSS for nearly 8 years and WoW for over 5, ridiculous how good they are. Compare that to CoD or so that you will play for maybe 1 year.

I'll jump on board.

Never have I ever found a game i've quit as many times as WoW...

And still continued to find my way back.

Deleted
    World of Warcraft is my best MMO and always will be, The people who used to play it then stopped and call it bad, Deep down they really know World of Warcraft is one of the best games they have ever played. I usually play everyday for about 5 hours and never get bored, If I do I create a new character on a different server and meet new people and friends. The only thing that disappoints me is the RaF feature. I'm not lieing I do use it but I have been playing for 5 years not 2 minutes so all the noobs that don't have a clue about the game can get level 90 in 1 day and come and ruin PvP and the LFR feature. In my opinion the RaF feature should only be available to people who have played more than a year this is my opinion and I know a lot of people who say the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Without a doubt the best game ever, Counter Strike Source is the only competitor for me and I thought that was unbeatable, but WoW is just so damn good. Played CSS for nearly 8 years and WoW for over 5, ridiculous how good they are. Compare that to CoD or so that you will play for maybe 1 year.
    Once you have played CoD for one day you have played the full game it's simple I can play WoW for 10 years and still not complete it

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree'd, there is no denying WoW is the best MMO imo, that's not to say it doesn't have its issues though.