Thread: Why bash Cata?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Cataclysm is ranked higher on my list than MoP at this point. I just had to see the last patch before making the final decision.

Because Cataclysm was crap. Blizzard went slackmode and thought they could get away with it.

Deleted
    You could have taken all the content in cata and put it into a new expansion + 1 patch, so little to do.

no new game play features were added at first. So I quit.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Except that wasn't how it was seen. Vanilla and BC and Wrath were all seen pretty much equally up until Cata, with maybe Wrath seeming not quite as good as BC in a few ways. Cata was hated once the ZA patch came out, no one was complaining about Wrath - we were wishing for it back. And once MoP came out, while far from perfect or universally loved, it was far better than Cata - even most of the "Panda and Pokemon Haters Club" will agree with that. Now, a lot of people aren't liking what they've seen of WoD... your "pattern" is anything but.
    Except that really is how it was seen. Cata was hated by some during its own lifetime, but that wasn't until the very end (When people pretend it was all along), mainly due to Dragon Soul lasting for so long with no content.

Vanilla was seen as far inferior to BC when it came out, and Wrath made BC look like a straight up bitch. And then everybody whined about Wrath and how "easy" it was, so Cata came out and people liked pretty much most of it (Sans the few that complained about 4.1) until Dragon Soul.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-11-19 at 11:01 AM.

Cata was so bad that it made Wrath look good at a time when people utterly despised Wrath. ICC for over a year was preferable to bland zones, completely linear questing where you had to clear out each hub to advance, leveling that felt like a punishment you were forced to endure to play the game instead of the actual game itself, and goddamn Dragon Soul. There was almost no effort put into Cataclysm beyond the revamp of the old world, and that's not exactly a selling point for an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    That was a tribute to Katamari Damacy. You should try that game some time. Lots of fun, and the best theme song ever:

I Swear the entirety of Japan is on LSD 24/7 and i LOVE it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only good thing about Cata was Firelands and even that is a bit tainted with a rehashed raid boss (go figure blizz) the dungeons we're bad due to yet again rehashing old content za/zg,hey look black rock decent and another rehashed boss (Nefarian) and yet another Onyxia which makes 3 now of her and they even managed to out do themselves and put both of those rehashed bosses in the same fight.PvP is pretty much unspeakable and basically ran off the remaining good pvp'ers minus the ones getting rich by livestreaming and taking multitudes of kids money as "donations".They even managed to take what could had been the most epic boss in a epic fight and make it a laughingstock and i speak of none other than deathwing.So in a nutshell they gave us content that most of it was rehashed or just re-colored bosses we've already seen (Dragon Soul),ruined was was already a dying gaming aspect some called pvp but couldnt do so with a straight face and called it an expansion and took your money.

Sounds like many plausible reasons to bash the shit garbage it was.
    Here come the Irish.

DS as raid and the way DW story was turned into a pile of shit.

tier 11 was great so were the dungeons right up until the nerfs rolled out, from then on it just went downhill

Deleted
    It feels like 90% of the people in this thread judge the whole expansion for the endpatch that was DS.

General rule of WoW is: You hate the current expansion. You still hate the previous expansion, its still fresh in your mind. The expansion before that was ok-ish. You love the expansion before that one. And you absolutely geekjizz on vanilla WoW.

So basicly, nostalgia.

In 1-2 years we have all forgotten Dragon Soul was way to long the only Raid available, as Siege of Orgrimar will probably follow the same path. People have already forgotten ICC took even longer (RS doesnt count), and we all dont have a clue how long everything took before that, so by rule we love it. Dragon Soul sucks, because everyone says it did.

In the end, DS wasnt that bad, the encounters were all unique and fun. The only thing missing was a 9th proper encounter against Death Wing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Tier 11 was great, tier 12 and 13 killed the expansion.
    Pretty much for me as well.

Tier 11 was my favorite raiding tier in WoW history.

But I really did not like Firelands that much and DS was not my favorite.

I have a basic rule, if a Tier has been out longer than the number of bosses in the Tier it has been out to long.

Deleted
    Most people hate the expansion because of dragon soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderdragon View Post
    Most people hate the expansion because of dragon soul.
    What was so bad about Dragon soul? Fights were pretty epic. Spine, Deathwing... Not on LFR ofc, but who judges raid content on LFR?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    What was so bad about Dragon soul? Fights were pretty epic. Spine, Deathwing... Not on LFR ofc, but who judges raid content on LFR?
    Well, to most people, including myself, those fights weren't epic. They were shit. Absolute shit. If you were to look at Spine purely for the theme and idea, then yeah, the idea of fighting on Deathwing's back to force him to land is great. However, it's just a boring add fight. On Heroic, most of it was easy (as long as you had the dps for tendons) until towards the end, where it was just a hectic nightmare.

Madness was kind of similar too, in the sense that you're just fighting adds and repeating the same thing until the last phase. Just like Spine, it wasn't too challenging until the end, where it became pretty hectic, although not quite as bad as Spine. However, the worst part about Madness was that it was a pretty long fight. If you wipe at the end, you have to fight through 10 minutes of the easy stuff until you get to phase 2 again.

Ultraxion was the laziest idea for a fight ever and the majority of other fights (except lootship imo) were any good.

It's funny, as far as I remember, most people were pretty disappointed with Firelands, but they enjoyed Ragnaros. Once they had to play through Dragon Soul for a few months, Firelands seemed great by comparison.

Deleted
    I think for a lot of people it's more of a ''everyone's saying is so I'll say it too to look cool'' kind of thing, not to say Cataclysm didn't have it's flaws but I mean most people that bash on Cataclysm say it's because of Dragon Soul so really, Cataclysm is the worst expansion because of one single raid? That sure makes sense...

And yeah I'm expecting to get hate for saying people are sheep and follow what everyone else says/does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    I think for a lot of people it's more of a ''everyone's saying is so I'll say it too to look cool'' kind of thing, not to say Cataclysm didn't have it's flaws but I mean most people that bash on Cataclysm say it's because of Dragon Soul so really, Cataclysm is the worst expansion because of one single raid? That sure makes sense...

And yeah I'm expecting to get hate for saying people are sheep and follow what everyone else says/does.

No, it's not a band wagon effect. If that were true then Wotlk by far wouldn't be constantly voted as everyone's favorite expansion so many times, or at the very least a very very close second to BC.

Cata was by no means a failure as a game, even with the sub losses it still maintained WoW well into the millions. It's considered a failure by comparison of the standards set by the other expansions, or rather the "worst" expansion.

To summarize, Cata suffered from inconsistency more than any other expansion. Giant overhauls to many established and relatively stable aspects such as classes, zones, and questing.

All of these changes came quite abruptly with virtually no learning curves or familiarity to ease players into them. And then after we did start to get used to these new ideas, they were changed again; often going in the complete opposite direction.

Players had no idea what to do. Was this going to be a hardcore expansion? Suddenly giant nerfs and LFR. What was the plot? Big bad dragon..........no I think it had to do something with a Fire Elemental.....or was it Thrall? So I need to focus on Str right? No, you need to focus on haste and mastery. Oh wait, now it's Str again.

No, it's not a band wagon effect. If that were true then Wotlk by far wouldn't be constantly voted as everyone's favorite expansion so many times, or at the very least a very very close second to BC.
    Wouldn't...wouldn't this be exactly what bandwagoning is...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    People whine about the reuse of assets in Dragon Soul. Guess what? Naxxramas 2.0 was essentially the old 60 raid with health pools scaled up.
    Since 99% of the players hadn't done Naxx 1.0, this didn't matter at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Cata was so bad that it made Wrath look good at a time when people utterly despised Wrath.
    It's a common propaganda line from the hardcores that people hated Wrath, but I see no evidence supporting this.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"