Thread: Why bash Cata?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I don't know why people keep bringing that up. Heroics in WoTLK were challenging at start, just like heroics in Cataclysm. People complained about it at the end of expansion. Well... duh... end of expansion, where ilevel 232 catch up gear dropped in heroics and was available for badges, so everyone had at least 232 gear and they complained about instances that dropped ilevel 200 gear.

ICC patch also introduced LFD and new hard heroics. Do you remember how hated were hard new heroics in ICC patch? Tanks instantly quit as soon as they zoned in last dungeon of ICC dungeons set (don't remember its name - the one with waves of mobs). It was obvious from those heroics that LFD and hard content don't go well together. Yet Blizzard ignored it and introduced hard heroics at start of Cataclysm and then in Zul'Rehash patch.

Problem was not hard heroics. Problem was LFD. You can't expect any coordination when putting random players together in one group.
    No. From the start Wrath heroics were generally AoE. Yes you needed to have dps tanks and healers actually present but beyond that there was nothing.

The ICC heroics were only marginally challenging. We NEED hard content because not all casual players want to faceroll stuff. However, LFD will continue to be a problem, since those who refuse to talk to others will feel restricted. That is the root of the issue. There are casuals who want hard content, and there are baduals who want easy stuff, and both go by the name casual.

Oh this is gonna be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    In all threads about new expansion I see lots of pll bashing Cata. Many pll say it was worst expansion ever. I did play since May 2005 and I strongly believe it's second BEST expansion after BC. Why? Everything about Cata was PERFECT. I'll explain now why.

1. Leveling, core of the start = amazing fun because you COULD fly. Wanna not start level in one zone? Choose another. Leveing in Hijal is amazing, I still have a lot of fun lvling there on my alts. Uldum, nice storyline and fun quests. And that quest when you kill 1000 gnomes... PRICELESS . Not only that. They revamped old zones so nicely that it became fun to lvl new toons :P. And they added so many "EPIC FUN" quests. Like Sylvana's one. Or the one in badlands. Without Cata we would still grind old boring quests. Now to people who say, flying mounts=no pvp. I had tons, TONS of fun world pvp in Vashj'ir and TB. In fact I killed so many people in world pvp during Cata I didn't kill since vanilla.
    Flying destroyed questing and the zones. Kill monsters, fly away. Fly over to deliver item, fly away. See path filled with monsters, fly over, complete quest, fly away.

There were only 2 starting zones, compared to Vanilla, BC, Wotlk, where you could choose various places to level and reach cap.

Uh... TB is a PvP zone........basically a bg on a 2 hr cd.........not really WPvP.

I will however agree that when you actually sat down to do the quests, IE Harrison Jones they were quite fun.

2. Dailies. Never, never felt like something you HAD to do. And esp those in Hijal were amazingly fun, there were even dailies which were easier to do as healer.
    Yeah except for that whole DAILY QUEST HUB FOR FIRELANDS WHERE YOU WERE LITERALLY FORCED TO DO SHIT. Oh and let's not forget tabards........THE FORCED WAY TO REP GRIND FOR EVERY FACTION. Instead of yanno, going out into the world and questing, pvping, interacting, etc. Sit in the city, spam the RDF, get rep.

3. Lore. Involving Thrall, one of the main lore characters. Even though I didn't enjoy much doing "Thrall specific quest" on many alts, doing it first time was very inspiring.
    Yeah, except for the fact that the lore didn't make jack shit with what was given to us in game. And don't pull "Oh it's in the books" bullshit. The books are built to be supplementary, not mandatory. You had extremely disjointed zones with little to no interconnecting plots, themes, or characters. One moment we're fighting a Two-Headed Ogre; the next a resurrected Neferian and Onyxia.....da fuck? The Ogre I remotely get, there was a bit of intro to him (though I doubt most of us still don't understand wtf the twilight's hammer clan is), but where.....how...THEIR HEADS WERE ON PIKES AND CHAINS....WHO REZZED THEM?!

Next we're fighting a Firelord..................our main enemy is a giant flying dragon who can breath fire and whose blood is molten lava/corrupted...........why the hell does he need Ragnaros?

Deathwing as a villian was pathetic. He barely appeared throughout the game. Most people forgot about him by the time DS came around. Virtually nothing anyone did in this game made sense, even worse was the time travel bit to get Thrall's kamehameha. And then the Aspects give up their powers..................their purpose was to stop one of their own......that the titans gave power to. Well here's an idea, travel back in time, axe Neltharion before he becomes Deathwing.

4. Raiding. Actually Cata was first time when I started raiding very seriously. Because content was worth it. Remember emotions when you had to jump to lava on Nefarian hc.
    Yeah except for that whole shared 10/25 man lock-outs which ended up killing most of the 25 man raiding guilds and locked out many players from ever stepping into a raid. Followed by the complete reversal and the introduction of LFR......the combination of the worst complaints of this game all combined into a "raiding" experience.

5. EPICNESS. Yes. It came to unreal level in Cata. Do I need to explain why?
    Yeah it was so epic, that it was hilarious. It was like a movie that ran too long, never took a breather to acknowledge anything, and spent so much time ziping around the "plot" that by the end we had no resolution, trying to figure out what had actually happened.

6. Dungeons. DUNGEONS WERE FUN. You needed some afford to complete stuff and when you finally completed them, you felt so good.
    ......Except if you got paired with a warrior and dk as dps in your group you were totally screwed on CC. If one person screwed up, everyone died. There was no learning curve for new or more casual players and there was very little for them to do. Bosses barely telegraphed attacks or actions, making anyone who was inexperienced a quick vote to kick.

My point is, I see no reason why people hate that expansion.
    My point is, we have every reason to hate this expansion. It took everything we had solidified and learned over the past six years and threw it out the window.
    Last edited by militaryspartan; 2013-11-19 at 12:29 AM.

So, basically, cata was LOST(series) for many players?
    Implying LOST was good at some point ...

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I mean, y'know, if you enjoyed THE most broken raid in the game, by all means.

DS has more (bad/gamebreaking) bugs than any other raid and they didn't even fix them. Zon'ozz's ball bouncing, Thrall refusing to jump you across platforms on Madness of Deathwing, Morchok's crystal being finicky, and let's not forget a cutscene in the middle of the Spine fight, I mean who the fuck puts a cutscene in at the start of a fight?

While I agree enjoying things is definitely subjective, it's well known that Dragon Soul was THE worst raid of all time, and that's not just me.
    I think the only thing I didn't like about DS was the Ultraxion trash to be honest. It wasn't my favorite raid by any means, but it's better than at least two of the MoP raids imo. I think BWD, BoT and Firelands were epic raids. MoP's MSV and ToES were terrible, HoF was okay and I loved ToT.

And here I thought TOC was the worst raid in the game. I enjoyed cata up till ds raided it first three weeks and called it quits Cuz by that point most of all of my friends had moved on to other games or IRL so I did the same. Came back for mop but being on a new server and not playing with my crew its not the same :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked cataclysm. We still had our guns and polearms (I'm a hunter). I liked being able to grind valor and rep in dungeons. You could do all your 5 mans in one night if you wanted to. Justice points were actually worth something which made it even more fun for me to grind 5 mans. I really do enjoy doing five mans. I ran them on normal and heroic mode with all my alts every week. We got to fly from day 1. The raids were not too big, or too small, I liked firelands a lot. (not the daily quests that came with it) DS wasn't great, but I had fun doing it. I think all cataclysm's raids were fun. The economy was also very kind to me in Cataclysm. I really enjoyed that expansion, even if it wasn't as fun as Wrath, or B.C.

I guess that's why I disliked mop so much, they took everything I really liked about the previous expansions away. I did do ok earning gold in mop, but its not like cata was, for me.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2013-11-19 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noobstar View Post
    And here I thought TOC was the worst raid in the game. I enjoyed cata up till ds raided it first three weeks and called it quits Cuz by that point most of all of my friends had moved on to other games or IRL so I did the same. Came back for mop but being on a new server and not playing with my crew its not the same :'(
    Why did your friends quit?

Deleted
    Because every raid boss was easy...well mop is not much different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running ZG and ZA for a year to cap valour, Dragon Soul and warlocks being completely broken; I mean come on, shadowflame as part of the rotation?

1. Leveling, core of the start = amazing fun because you COULD fly. Wanna not start level in one zone? Choose another. Leveing in Hijal is amazing, I still have a lot of fun lvling there on my alts. Uldum, nice storyline and fun quests. And that quest when you kill 1000 gnomes... PRICELESS . Not only that. They revamped old zones so nicely that it became fun to lvl new toons :P. And they added so many "EPIC FUN" quests. Like Sylvana's one. Or the one in badlands. Without Cata we would still grind old boring quests.
    The levling was fun the first time, the second and third it was boring as hell. It lacked replayability. And they made the same mistake when revamping the old zones aswell.
    2. Dailies. Never, never felt like something you HAD to do. And esp those in Hijal were amazingly fun, there were even dailies which were easier to do as healer.
    Dailies were never a problem before MoP, saying that good dailies make a good expansion clearly shows you are focusing on the wrong aspects of what endgame is about.
    3. Lore. Involving Thrall, one of the main lore characters. Even though I didn't enjoy much doing "Thrall specific quest" on many alts, doing it first time was very inspiring.
    Thrall is the most overused and boring character there is, the way they focused on this one person to tell the tale of the cataclyms was poor in my opinion, and this might just be because as an Alliance player Thrall is nothing special. They also had the whole dragonaspect storyline that was a complete waste, and timetravel is almost never a good plotpoint to pull out at the end of an expansion to wrap it up.
    Can't comment on raiding, because I didn't do much of that in Cata.
    5. EPICNESS. Yes. It came to unreal level in Cata. Do I need to explain why?
    "Epicness"? really? The only thing epic with this expansion was the intro cinematic. Having Deathwing fly over you and kill the entire zone, not epic. Having rag return, not epic, and then to top the whole thing off, the Dragon Soul raid was underwhelming as shit. Just because there may be big explosions or massive destruction does not make something epic. LK, he was epic. Illidan was epic. Deathwing was not.
    6. Dungeons. DUNGEONS WERE FUN. You needed some afford to complete stuff and when you finally completed them, you felt so good.
    Running the same troll dungeons over and over again is really fun, yeah... And to the other dungeons that came before, sure you needed some more "afford" to complete them, but this made them less fun to have to grind for gear on alts and such.
    My point is, I see no reason why people hate that expansion.
    There are loads of reasons, you just seem to ignore them. And these are my opinions, not facts. Just like your reasons are your opinions, not facts.

A general consensus why cata gets bashed so often its because its the first expac to piss off almost every part of the playerbase. 25 man raiders would definitely remember the changes to raid lockouts and loot and people who used to spec hybrid didn't liked the new 'talent trees'. High end raiders would not have liked the ZA/ZG patch and as for myself as a casual, I hated the revamped 1-60

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    No. From the start Wrath heroics were generally AoE. Yes you needed to have dps tanks and healers actually present but beyond that there was nothing.
    Can't AOE in Old Kingdom or AK. Attempting to do that in several of the dungeons with everyone in quest greens/blues would get the group wiped. Only at least half the group was in top end Tier 7 gear would this be possible without the tank or healer breaking a sweat

The ICC heroics were only marginally challenging.
    Yes, if you are super overgeared. However most people skipped HoR because it required some degree of skill and PoS as well

We NEED hard content because not all casual players want to faceroll stuff. However, LFD will continue to be a problem, since those who refuse to talk to others will feel restricted. That is the root of the issue. There are casuals who want hard content, and there are baduals who want easy stuff, and both go by the name casual.
    What we need is progressive heroics which was present in TBC and slightly less of the style in WoLTK. We shouldn't do another cata (too hard too fast) or MOP (5-man normal heroic is basically moot) style

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    What we need is progressive heroics which was present in TBC and slightly less of the style in WoLTK. We shouldn't do another cata (too hard too fast) or MOP (5-man normal heroic is basically moot) style
    We should just make heroics unqueueable. Simple as that. Players dont deal with random groups then Blizzard can actually tell them it is their fault they are not getting further, not Blizzards.

But the tears from the casual playerbase who want content to be easy would be too great.

Cata was my fav expansion. I can understand the hate but I loved it

10+ Year Old Account
    The endgame was really awful because they dedicated too much of their resources to revamping the 1-60 world. Also it ruined ZG and ZA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    Yes, if you are super overgeared. However most people skipped HoR because it required some degree of skill and PoS as well
    Line of Sight for Halls of Reflection, a very simple kill order, and being able to DPS. Pit of Saron was made extremely trivial by the most common route taken, and I only saw people wipe in the hallway. Both dungeons had simple mechanics, mostly get out of the way or stand behind something. That's not very skillful, and a lot of it was quite easy to do even if you were just geared enough to queue for it. But I suppose it was "Hard" for the people too used to AoE'ing everything down in non-ICC dungeons. Even Forge of Souls was AoE spam.

But that's just me and how I viewed everyone from playing in Wrath of the Lich King. Digressing from the topic at hand though.

I don't know exactly why people hated Cataclysm. I know partially it was due to people not wanting to do many things in the gearing process, especially when most of the expansion punished people for not knowing the fights (As it should). Than LFR came along and so did the return to extremely easy queuing, the separation of the troll dungeons, nerfing of the original Cataclysm ones... Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrokill View Post
    There are loads of reasons, you just seem to ignore them. And these are my opinions, not facts. Just like your reasons are your opinions, not facts.
    The reasons that have been repeated is people complaining about the story, which was somewhat hard to follow, but good once you understood. The dungeons, which are just people complaining they couldnt faceroll stuff anymore and that it would take work and *gasp* communication.
    The complaints about the 10/25M are legitamate, and from 25s it make sense, but 10M players were just upset it was hard. I understand the 25M complaint that there was no more incentive to run 25 over 10, but 10M were just sad they had hard stuff.
    The complaint about DS is fair, firelands as well, however its not like Wrath, hailed as such a great expansion, had all good raids. 3/5 of Catas raids were decent. 1 of Wrath's was good, Ulduar, and ICC was okay.

The reasons that have been repeated is people complaining about the story, which was somewhat hard to follow, but good once you understood. The dungeons, which are just people complaining they couldnt faceroll stuff anymore and that it would take work and *gasp* communication.
    The complaints about the 10/25M are legitamate, and from 25s it make sense, but 10M players were just upset it was hard. I understand the 25M complaint that there was no more incentive to run 25 over 10, but 10M were just sad they had hard stuff.
    The complaint about DS is fair, firelands as well, however its not like Wrath, hailed as such a great expansion, had all good raids. 3/5 of Catas raids were decent. 1 of Wrath's was good, Ulduar, and ICC was okay.
    I hear people praise BoT and BWD, and heroic Ragnaros. That's 2 and a boss. Wrath, people praise Ulduar and say heroic LK 25m as good. That's 1 and a boss. But, Ulduar had more bosses than BoT and BWD combined, so it's basically the same. But I agree with the rest of your reply.

Unfortunately, with the introduction of LFD, and the rather ease of the 5-mans, the toxic "community" of the game grew and festered, and made the increased difficulty a bad move. People don't know the fights? Rage and kick them. Someone asks questions? Rage and kick them. That was the default reaction thanks to the anonymity of the LFD tool being cross server.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    The start was good but the patch content wasn't. :P
    the patch content was just flat horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I hear people praise BoT and BWD, and heroic Ragnaros. That's 2 and a boss. Wrath, people praise Ulduar and say heroic LK 25m as good. That's 1 and a boss. But, Ulduar had more bosses than BoT and BWD combined, so it's basically the same. But I agree with the rest of your reply.

Unfortunately, with the introduction of LFD, and the rather ease of the 5-mans, the toxic "community" of the game grew and festered, and made the increased difficulty a bad move. People don't know the fights? Rage and kick them. Someone asks questions? Rage and kick them. That was the default reaction thanks to the anonymity of the LFD tool being cross server.
    I liked Throne...it was short but Alakir was fun...

But yes, BoT and BWD were great raids and IMO blew pretty most raids out of the water. H LK was good and Ulduar was good, but beyond that meh. Sinestra was fantastic, and personally I found that fight much harder than LK, but it also didnt have limited attempts.

I do know Cata had its flaws, but I think people dont give it enough credit for how could it began. First tier of wrath? Kill me now. First tier of Cata? Lava worm rangling was such fun, even if Magmaw was second only to Chimeron in dullness (I felt important cause frost DK worm kiting tho)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    the patch content was just flat horrible
    Dont insult ZA. I know you didnt get your tiger before it was closed but the dungeon was enjoyable, just too hard for bads.

gonna piss some people off but... I liked vashjir, a lot. Kinda sucks to not get anything like that again so far. Cata is overshadowed by DS. There was nothing wrong with redoing azeroth btw, had to be done imo

Firelands patch was good