Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Music] Lady Gaga's new album flops, causing massive layoffs at record label.

Underwhelming sales for Lady Gaga's new album "ARTPOP" — despite a promo campaign that cost Interscope Records $25 million — is expected to force holiday layoffs at the label, according to a new report.

First-week sales of roughly 250,000 copies are projected for the rock diva's new release, according to a story published at Examiner.com on Saturday.

Bing: Find reviews for 'ARTPOP'

TheWrap's calls to the singer's reps and Interscope on Sunday weren't immediately returned.

"ARTPOP" could still debut at No. 1, but that would be a 75 percent drop from the first week sales of her hit "Born This Way" two years ago, and that one sold more than a million copies in its first week.

To put that in perspective, Miley Cyrus' "Bangerz" launched with first-week sales of 270,000 last month. Two weeks later, Katy Perry's "Prism" debuted with 286,000 first-week sales. Neither are considered breakout hits.

http://za.omg.yahoo.com/news/lady-ga...222239151.html

Looks like it's over for her. She doesn't own any of her publishing (horrible business move) and Akon is making more money per album sold then she is. Why she signed to him I have no clue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_465641.html

MOD: I edited out the pictures, they did not add anything to the post. I also edited out the Eminem part. Comparing a rap artist to pop artist gives nothing to the conversation either.
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2013-11-20 at 09:26 PM.

You seem to bash her at every oportunity.
    Go back to stanning for Katy's autotuned and boring mess that is PRISM.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a second, this thing has debuted at #1 in tens of countries and is currently #1 in the US and UK. It has also managed to fend off Eminem's album, and isn't doing badly seeing as it leaked a week and a half prior to release.

Deleted
    Sales, sales, sales, sales, sales, sales.

Exactly why I hate pop music. Because it is all about sales, sales, sales, sales, sales and sales. Making something that should be an expression of inner content into a fucking business scheme, disgusting.

Even if what you say is true I don't see why she could not function independently. As far as I am aware she was among the few pop singers who wrote and played her own stuff instead of having written by 5 corporate monkeys and then dressed up as if it was a song about "her feelz". Sure she would not be always in the fucking spotlight then but she could pull it off.

Also kinda relevant.
    She's never given much of a damn about her own sales or charting position. The fact that ARTPOP has 0 filler tracks is an achievement in its own.

10+ Year Old Account
    people still buy music?

Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post

Also kinda relevant.
    She's never given much of a damn about her own sales or charting position. The fact that ARTPOP has 0 filler tracks is an achievement in its own.
    She sounds extremely sarcastic in that tweet. And of course she cares about sales and staying relevant. Look at the lyrics for Applause, the lead single for the album. The hook is probably one of the biggest narcissistic hooks I've ever heard in a song.

"I live for the applause, applause, applause
    I live for the applause-plause
    Live for the applause-plause
    Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
    The applause, applause, applause"

Her last good album was The Fame Monster, which wasn't even really an entire album.

She's one of few artists that I genuinely do hope fall out of the lime light.

Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post

Wait a second, this thing has debuted at #1 in tens of countries and is currently #1 in the US and UK. It has also managed to fend off Eminem's album, and isn't doing badly seeing as it leaked a week and a half prior to release.
    Eminem crushed Gaga:

Eminem first week sales: 797,000
    Lady Gaga first week sales: 250,000

Gaga beat Eminem only in his second week sales, in which most artists drop off 75%+, which means next week Gaga will be lucky to sell 75,000 next week, while Em will still be outselling her. She even got owned by Miley (270,000 first week).

How do you go from selling 1.1 million copies of your last album two years ago to only selling 250,000 two years later? I wouldn't be suprised if she bought tons of copies of Born This Way to inflate sales figures. /boggle

Even Jay-Z's last album this year sold 520,000 the first week.
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2013-11-20 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    She sounds extremely sarcastic in that tweet. And of course she cares about sales and staying relevant. Look at the lyrics for Applause, the lead single for the album. The hook is probably one of the biggest narcissistic hooks I've ever heard in a song.

"I live for the applause, applause, applause
    I live for the applause-plause
    Live for the applause-plause
    Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
    The applause, applause, applause"
    Man I hate it when people say shit about Lady Gaga clearly without even knowing anything about her or hearing/reading any of her interviews. 'Applause' doesn't even mean she lives for the attention like the automatic conclusion seems to be. No, she said herself that it means she lives for the JOY that she brings her fans. It has nothing to do with herself. It has to do with her fans. Contrary to popular belief, Gaga is as devoted to her fans as they are to her. If people like you would get past the strange outfits and eccentric performances and actually get to KNOW what she's like and how she feels, you would quickly realize she's an incredibly down-to-earth person who cares for her fans.

Now, I wonder how long it will take until I'm labeled a blind fanboy who can't ever hear criticism about my Mother Monster. Bah...

That's all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised if she bought tons of copies of Born This Way to inflate sales figures. /boggle
    Do some research first ;P (I didn't bother quoting the entire message - although it is pretty funny )

Gaga's last album sales were artificially inflated by an Amazon 99 cent sale.

The entire Examiner article has been thoroughly debunked.

Lady Gaga's circus sideshow "shock" costumes and shows don't cut it anymore. It worked in 2010 but not anymore.

People aren't buying her gimmick these days especially once they saw that real singers with beautiful voices (Adele, Lana Del Ray) don't have to have to stoop to that degrading level, like dry humping R. Kelly in front of millions of people on SNL for attention.

Lady Gagas fanbase is in shambles now, and just shows that people who predominantly listen to the radio are casual listeners and not constant, like the loyal fans of legit indie artist.

Lady Gaga - $25 million dollars of promotion, SNL skits, world tours, big flashy videos, hangs out with A list celebrities, gets her songs played on the radio every hour, and only sells 250,000 first week

Mac Miller - Indie label, low budget videos, only has four people working on his WHOLE team, hardly any radio play except for college radio yet sells 145,000 first week for Blue Slide Park.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-11-19 at 06:20 AM.

Deleted
    id say let the pop "girls and boys" aka auto tuned piece of sh*t die out.. so boring to listen on anyway..

Lady Gaga is absolute trash. The very minute she stopped covering herself in meat and dressing like an escape mental patient was the same minute that 99% of the world forgot her and her terrible music was ever a thing. Her album sales go to show she really is yesterdays news.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Man I hate it when people say shit about Lady Gaga clearly without even knowing anything about her or hearing/reading any of her interviews. 'Applause' doesn't even mean she lives for the attention like the automatic conclusion seems to be. No, she said herself that it means she lives for the JOY that she brings her fans. It has nothing to do with herself. It has to do with her fans. Contrary to popular belief, Gaga is as devoted to her fans as they are to her. If people like you would get past the strange outfits and eccentric performances and actually get to KNOW what she's like and how she feels, you would quickly realize she's an incredibly down-to-earth person who cares for her fans.

Now, I wonder how long it will take until I'm labeled a blind fanboy who can't ever hear criticism about my Mother Monster. Bah...

That's all I have to say.
    I'm not even gonna bother saying anything, it's not needed.. chris crocker 2.0.

Deleted
    She sold around 700-800k with born this way without the amazon deal and that was back after the fame monster and the meat dress and all the VMAS/Grammys Bad romance etc that year. She was at her peak at her carrer and everyone wondred what she was going to do next. The album didn't meet the exeptions but was still one of the bigest albums for that time. Now she is coming from almost 2 years on tour and hip surgery her last ww hit was the edge of glory years ago and pop is not the biggest thing anymore. Her lead single from Artpop, Applause did good and almost everyone i know like it and are much more like able then anything she released from born this way but it was not a smash hit in poker face/bad romance size. And she is still selling as much as two artists who is at their peak at their carrer like gaga was with born this way. So if you say gaga is floping you can say katy perry, Rihanna, Miley and all the other pop girls are floping to.

Also why do you compare her to male rappers? People who she can be compered to are other pop girls. and she did better or the same as them.

- - - Updated - - -

and all for the people who says she can't sing or don't have any talent. Take a moment to listen to this.

Also check out her SNL she did this weekend. There she really proves her singing and actor talent.

People aren't buying her gimmick these days especially once they saw that real singers with beautiful voices (Adele, Lana Del Ray) don't have to have to stoop to that degrading level, like dry humping R. Kelly in front of millions of people on SNL for attention.
    1) this isn't the first time, and won't be the last, that a singer performs dry humping.

2) Dry humping was part of the song overall meaning, which you probably didn't get since you hate her so much

3) You can't compare her sales to Rap artist...

4) Sales figures don't mean jack shit

5) She doesn't care about sales figures

6) You have issues if you have to make a thread about this and bash her in every single post you make just to make yourself feel good. Your posting on a WoW centric site on bashing lady gaga, you are not doing a thing besides looking pathetic.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

To the OP:

From Showbiz411

"Yesterday the idiotic Examiner.com posted a story claiming “Artpop” was going to lose $25 million and cause massive layoffs at Interscope Records. Hilarious, totally untrue, fabricated. But The Vulture at New York magazine and The Wrap each picked it up. The story has now been removed from Examiner.com. But pretty much all the stories at that crazy website should be removed.

In fact, Lady Gaga’s costs are protected by endorsements and underwriters. There’s no exposure to Interscope. And worldwide, Gaga will do just fine with “ArtPoP” even with a 225-250K opening week."

"I just noticed in that stupid Examiner.com piece the claim that Lady Gaga’s “Born this Way Ball” tour was pulled off the road because of poor ticket sales. Utterly insane. The 2012 “Born this Way Ball Tour” was the fifth highest grossing tour of that year. Part 2, in 2013, was cut short by the hip surgery. Still it grossed almost $20 million on 18 dates and beat acts like Eric Clapton and The Who. If the tour had continued, Gaga would have finished again at least in the top 10. The article also says that “ARTPOP” was supposed to be released by Christmas 2012. That was never true."

From Billboard.com, since you're waving them around like a dick:

"Lady Gaga's new album "ARTPOP" is aiming for No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Industry sources forecast the diva's latest release to sell around 260,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, Nov. 17.

That sum should be enough to take over the No. 1 slot from Eminem's "The Marshall Mathers LP 2," which debuted atop the list this week with 792,000 sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be revealed on the morning of Wednesday, Nov. 20.

"ARTPOP's" projected sales are lower than its pre-release forecast of 300,000 to 350,000. As we've noted in the past, it's difficult to project sales before an album is released, based on a multitude of variables. Still, "ARTPOP's" arrival will be near that of recent debuts from Gaga's fellow pop divas like Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus. Perry's "PRISM" started with 286,000 and Cyrus' "Bangerz" bowed with 270,000.""

So its forecast sales were only 40,000 above what it actually sold so far.

Just about two hours to go and we get ARTPOP's official first week sales numbers. We'll see how much of a flop it is.

god she is hideous

Infracted
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2013-11-19 at 11:27 PM.

260,000 first week sales, not bad.