Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When did FREE stuff become a slap in the face?

9 years. People logging in between now and Dec 2nd are getting something FREE in honor of Blizzard's 9th year. They didn't have to do anything. At all. They could have just been like: "You know how much money we made this year?"

"...and you get nothing at all."

Next year we get a new, and amazing expansion, AND the 10th anniversary which will likely be something a bit more substantial. When other people have an anniversary, you get a cupcake. Say thank you for the cupcake and stop telling the person with the anniversary to buy YOU a present. Self entitled people really blow my mind

Happy Anniversary Blizz and congrats on 9 great years! Oh, and thanks for the WoW tabard, I am grinding rep like a mofo with this

10+ Year Old Account
    They gave out pets before and people (like me) log in every year expecting them to do it again and are disappointed. If they never gave out the pets before I don't think anybody would be complaining about the temporary tabard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I guess they got tired of people whining about them "wasting dev time" on pets for handouts.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    9 years. People logging in between now and Dec 2nd are getting something FREE in honor of Blizzard's 9th year. They didn't have to do anything. At all. They could have just been like: "You know how much money we made this year?"

"...and you get nothing at all."

Next year we get a new, and amazing expansion, AND the 10th anniversary which will likely be something a bit more substantial. When other people have an anniversary, you get a cupcake. Say thank you for the cupcake and stop telling the person with the anniversary to buy YOU a present. Self entitled people really blow my mind

Happy Anniversary Blizz and congrats on 9 great years! Oh, and thanks for the WoW tabard, I am grinding rep like a mofo with this

Ive spent close to 2,000 dollars on this game. If they can design 5 new pets a year at least for the blizzard store I don't see why they can't give one away a year for their anniversary. I don't think this is unreasonable. I don't expect more than fireworks for next year at this point. They really don't offer any long term customer appreciation gifts like they should considering the money they make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Ive spent close to 2,000 dollars on this game. If they can design 5 new pets a year at least for the blizzard store I don't see why they can't give one away a year for their anniversary. I don't think this is unreasonable. I don't expect more than fireworks for next year at this point. They really don't offer any long term customer appreciation gifts like they should considering the money they make.
    I know people who spend that in 8 months on alchohol, but I don't see Budweiser giving them a free case of beer on their anniversary.

Deleted
    yes the next birthday we get a 10% buff - how is that "a bit more substantial"?

Deleted
    it makes me sad that people act like this, it really does.

We should be demanding far more in terms of showing that they care then we receive currently. People will eventually learn this fact. BY then it will probably be far too late

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    that would be pathetic, and yet still people would be lauding it from the rooftops as awesome, I don't get people I really do not

Deleted
    People are just kinda bummed that they got something that they have no use for.

It's like that sweater your grandma knitted for you when you where young and you wanted an action figure :P

I know people who spend that in 8 months on alchohol, but I don't see Budweiser giving them a free case of beer on their anniversary.
    This isn't a beer company. This is a video game company. It has been well documented other video game companies give a bunch of stuff in their mmo's for their anniversaries, Blizzard doesn't. Comparing Blizzard to Budweiser is just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    First response is kinda correct. They set the bar with year 4 and 5 (Baby Blizzard Bear, Onyxia Whelp), and subsequent years that bar was lowered... with the actual slap in the face being year 8, where we got year7's mail in our mailbox.

I dont think the 9th one was a slap in the face, mind you. Though I am expecting something a little more substantial for the 10th year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Comparing Blizzard to Budweiser is just stupid.
    Mmmm... Blizzweiser...
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    But I do remember WoW giving us free pets. Remember Onyxian Whelping and Spirit of Competition? Anyway I have seen many Heineken events in Spain and Germany, and even Jägermeister's. Don't know if it's the same in the US. They offer a free first drink, and the rest are cheaper.

So yes, maybe you don't know, but they do.

Besides, as someone already stated, it's not comparable at all.

If they didn't do anything special for the 10th annual anniversary I'd be surprised
    But as for now with something as big as WoD being worked on I don't care we didn't get free stuff/something to do, not that I cared last year either though
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Nope, but there is a tendency for the echochamber of whining to spiral out of control, and so everyone involved thinks this is the worst thing ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the free pets from previous anniversaries kind of set the bar for expectations. Personally, I'm fine with the free gift we've been given for the 9th, but I'm also hoping that special 10th anniversary comes with something a bit more (hoping for a mount of some kind, but I'd be fine with a pet).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This sounds exactly like my brother, who would throw a hissy fit every year because HE didn't get any presents on MY birthday.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not our bday, its wows bday, why did we get anything at all

Expecting a pet and not getting it aside I wish the gift was something that wasn't relatively worthless. I've leveled too many characters to ever want to do it again. The only good thing about it is that it makes grinding rep significantly easier than before (now if I only had the time).

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    They gave out pets before and people (like me) log in every year expecting them to do it again and are disappointed. If they never gave out the pets before I don't think anybody would be complaining about the temporary tabard.
    But they haven't been doing that for a while now as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that the WoW player base is under the distinct impression that they are Blizzard's forgotten girlfriend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    This isn't a beer company. This is a video game company. It has been well documented other video game companies give a bunch of stuff in their mmo's for their anniversaries, Blizzard doesn't. Comparing Blizzard to Budweiser is just stupid.
    Im sure UO and EQ are still just throwing out tons of stuff every anniversary

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    First response is kinda correct. They set the bar with year 4 and 5 (Baby Blizzard Bear, Onyxia Whelp), and subsequent years that bar was lowered... with the actual slap in the face being year 8, where we got year7's mail in our mailbox.

I dont think the 9th one was a slap in the face, mind you. Though I am expecting something a little more substantial for the 10th year.

- - - Updated - - -

Mmmm... Blizzweiser...
    Wasn't the bar set in years 1-3 when there wasn't a pet, briefly raised in 4 and 5, and then lowered from 6-9?

10+ Year Old Account
    1% is only a bit. Not rocket science my friend But, sarcasm aside on both our behalves, I meant that 10 being a big number, and a milestone, leads me to believe there may be some special pet or mount as part of a short/easy quest. I don't need freebies, but it is always nice when they offer something. My main point is just enjoying the game without stomping a foot for a present.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    its not our bday, its wows bday, why did we get anything at all
    because the game would be useless without the players.....

10+ Year Old Account
    because the game would be useless without the players.....
    Corporations celebrate anniversaries all the time. Not sure the workers ever really get anything other than an email or a piece of cake.