Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Surv Hunter LF a few tips n tricks

Hello, been playing my hunter for about 4 months now and im currently at 550 itemlvl, however I see when im doing SoO 25 normal that im "only" doing around 230k dps average on some bosses (for example thok I do around 280k cause of trolls). I do NOT have the meta gem yet (12/20 empires lol) nor the cloak, is both of them really that much of a big diffrence cause i see other 530itemlvl hunters going around doing steady 300k. Is there something wrong with my choice of talents/reforge/gemming? Tried switching inbetween stuff and reading up on hunter but i just cant seem to get it to a higher dps.

Or maybe im just wrong and the legendary meta gem and cloak is op lol

Thanks in advance

eu battle net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/Extate/simple

Deleted
    First things first your DPS is fine with the current status of your gear etc...
    When you get your Gem and cloak you should be around the same DPS as the other hunter.
    Your gems and reforging are perfect for Hunter. Also timing procs of trinkets with certain skills can slightly increase your DPS.
    There are a few addons that can time that.

Also try register on http://www.wowprogress.com/ and add your character. There will be a SimDPS when you registered and see whats your max dps is with perfect rotation/procs.
    Last edited by mmoc709fe4d144; 2013-11-18 at 08:06 AM.

First off: yeah the legendary meta and cloak are huge.

You armory looks okay at a glance. Good gems and reforges it seems.

With the T16 2pc (and AoC trink), you'll want to use thrill of the hunt over dire beast.

You'd probably do better with a murder of crows over blink strikes on most fights (not like spoils).

I'd doubt a 530 ilvl hunter would pull a steady 300k. From where you say you are on thok, you seem fine. Just focus on getting gear upgrades.
    Last edited by Goondicker; 2013-11-18 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Meant 2pc not 4pc.

Deleted
    530 Ilevel doing 300k steady dps ._.? I highly doubt that.

Actually, meta gem + cloak is a huge deal.

You're well on average!

The cloak does a significant amount of dps in SoO because there is SO MUCH AOE and hunters tend to have a pretty high AP value so Flurry of Xuen hits pretty hard for us.
    The meta gem is definitely important but it usually does about 5% of your dps so it isn't going to make up the 30-70k dps difference you are seeing.

Combined the two are definitely a significant boost and the cloak is particularly effective on Galakras(if you're seeing other hunters jump way ahead of you on this fight it is definitely due in part to the cloak).

Some questions for you.

On fights like Fallen Protectors do you try to keep Serpent Sting on all targets as much as possible? What methods do you use to accomplish this? Serpent Sting is often our number one damage ability as SV and proper use of it can significantly increase your dps.

Glaive Toss/Barrage, which one do you use on which fights? On some fights Barrage outperforms Glaive Toss in a big way when used properly.

Thrill of The Hunter/Fervor/Dire Beast, another set of important talents. Which ones do you use on which fights?

Deleted
    Also i would advice you to make a post inside this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Thread!/page37

You may also get some nice feedback in that thread.

as other ppl said except 1 thing !!!

your reforging is far from perfect or even good its totally random reforging . i advice u to go this link and click obtimize and do the reforge as they say
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...en_mill/extate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dadori View Post

your reforging is far from perfect or even good its totally random reforging . i advice u to go this link and click obtimize and do the reforge as they say
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...en_mill/extate
    Soz i did not check mrrobot i just took a quick look at armory and it seemed ok. Good reply Dadori.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    First off: yeah the legendary meta and cloak are huge.

You armory looks okay at a glance. Good gems and reforges it seems.

With the T16 2pc (and AoC trink), you'll want to use thrill of the hunt over dire beast.

You'd probably do better with a murder of crows over blink strikes on most fights (not like spoils).

I'd doubt a 530 ilvl hunter would pull a steady 300k. From where you say you are on thok, you seem fine. Just focus on getting gear upgrades.
    Thank you for the feedback, I'll respec thrill later today and try it out, i thought it would be better but i've been inspecting other hunters on the server and they still use Dire Beast. But I'll try it out for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Argalin View Post
    The cloak does a significant amount of dps in SoO because there is SO MUCH AOE and hunters tend to have a pretty high AP value so Flurry of Xuen hits pretty hard for us.
    The meta gem is definitely important but it usually does about 5% of your dps so it isn't going to make up the 30-70k dps difference you are seeing.

Combined the two are definitely a significant boost and the cloak is particularly effective on Galakras(if you're seeing other hunters jump way ahead of you on this fight it is definitely due in part to the cloak).

Some questions for you.

On fights like Fallen Protectors do you try to keep Serpent Sting on all targets as much as possible? What methods do you use to accomplish this? Serpent Sting is often our number one damage ability as SV and proper use of it can significantly increase your dps.

Glaive Toss/Barrage, which one do you use on which fights? On some fights Barrage outperforms Glaive Toss in a big way when used properly.

Thrill of The Hunter/Fervor/Dire Beast, another set of important talents. Which ones do you use on which fights?
    I simply just try to multi shot and keep an eye on the timer for Fallen protectors and try to have it 100% uptime on all three bosses at the same time.
    For fights with heavy aoeing i use Barrage, but mainly i use Glaive Toss cause i find it the most usefull in most of the fights in SoO
    And I've been with Dire beast since like 463 itemlvl. But as someone said here earlier its probably better to go with Thrill of the Hunt with my 2set bonus + trinket. Never really used/or understood the good thing about Fervor, i find thrill/dire alot better, in my opinion anyways

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by athanasios View Post
    530 Ilevel doing 300k steady dps ._.? I highly doubt that.

Actually, meta gem + cloak is a huge deal.

You're well on average!
    Maybe exaggerated abit ! But I still find it strange that people with some raidfinder/flex gear and owning me in DPS, damn you cloak/gem!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dadori View Post

I reforge by using noxxic recommendation (Crit>Haste>Mastery) and i try to be just over exp/hit cap and then gem full agility on gem slots, but sure i can take a look at askmrrobot

Im also sorry for making this huge wall of texts, new to the mmo-forums and havn't really got the hang of it yet *ashamed*

Whats your latency compared to them -- that's the thing nearly everyone forgets ( especially those who live close to servers eg Amaericans) .

For example on FD when I use the default latency ( 37 ) I sim well over 16k higher then if I use my true latency of 200 , This number keeps getting higher as I go up in gear .

Another interesting fact is that for me my order for this tier of talents is fervor>DB >totH but DB is only 800 behind at my latency while TotH is over 3k behind. With default latency both DB and ToTH are over 3k behind fervor . So the higher your latency the better DB becomes

So all you people out there please try and remember that not everyone lives close to servers --some of us are half a world away and latency has a BIG effect on DPS and talent choices

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sul View Post
    Whats your latency compared to them -- that's the thing nearly everyone forgets ( especially those who live close to servers eg Amaericans) .

For example on FD when I use the default latency ( 37 ) I sim well over 16k higher then if I use my true latency of 200 , This number keeps getting higher as I go up in gear .

Another interesting fact is that for me my order for this tier of talents is fervor>DB >totH but DB is only 800 behind at my latency while TotH is over 3k behind. With default latency both DB and ToTH are over 3k behind fervor . So the higher your latency the better DB becomes

So all you people out there please try and remember that not everyone lives close to servers --some of us are half a world away and latency has a BIG effect on DPS and talent choices
    I live in Sweden and got around 28 ms pretty much all the time

I simply just try to multi shot and keep an eye on the timer for Fallen protectors and try to have it 100% uptime on all three bosses at the same time.
    For fights with heavy aoeing i use Barrage, but mainly i use Glaive Toss cause i find it the most usefull in most of the fights in SoO
    And I've been with Dire beast since like 463 itemlvl. But as someone said here earlier its probably better to go with Thrill of the Hunt with my 2set bonus + trinket. Never really used/or understood the good thing about Fervor, i find thrill/dire alot better, in my opinion anyways
    One of the Fallen Protectors is occasionally ran out and tanked elsewhere for awhile on many occasions during the encounter. Not to mention how He Softfoot loves to shadowstep all over the place. Don't just depend on Multi-Shot for your multi-dotting. Sometimes you have to throw out individual SS and I highly recommend creating macros for it(an example would be /target He Softfoot /cast Serpent Sting /targetlasttarget) I'm mentioning this fight in particular but this is just one good example. Making sure to have Serpent Sting on all targets that will live for at least a couple ticks is crucial for maximizing SV damage otherwise you are better off going BM.

I've found Glaive Toss to only trump Barrage on Immerseus(Barrage is better on Heroic Imm), Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok(I prefer Barrage on heroic Malk for MDing the adds), Thok, and Siegecrafter. Pretty much every fight I did not mention Barrage is better than Glaive Toss by a considerable margin, especially when timed/aimed/used properly.
    Examples of good timing; It's worth delaying Barrage for a few seconds if you know Rook or Sun are about to their Desperate Measures on the Fallen Protectors encounter because a bunch more adds join the fray. On Norushen Barrage should be used and aimed properly to hit every Essence of Corruption on screen for maximum benefit, don't use Barrage if there aren't any adds on screen. On Sha of Pride I often have delay Barrage to make sure I have it for when Self Reflection spawns all those adds. On Dark Shamans once the bosses hit 65% it's very important you only use Barrage when Foul Geyser spawns all dem slimes, Barrage times perfectly with each Foul Geyser. Barrage is great to hit all of Nazgrim's adds even when they are spread out across the screen, always have a Barrage for each time he summons more.
    Last but not least on Garrosh later on in the fight I like to save Barrage for when the boss Mind Controls several people. Extremely effective burst that can hit all of the MC targets even when spread out a bit. I know that's a long shpiel but as you can see I love Barrage. One last thing to consider is when the adds are clumped it's better to get in an initial Multi-Shot before Barrage so that while you are channeling your Serpent Sting is beginning to start ticking.

Dire Beast pretty much sucks for SV in my personal opinion, especially once you have the 2 piece as you stated you do have. It adds to button bloat and doesn't contribute much to helping you AoE which is where SV shines. My rule of thumb is if I'm going to spec A Murder of Crows I'm using Fervor(which is almost never), otherwise it's Thrill of The Hunt. What TotH does for you that many don't consider is that it makes your rotation more error proof. Using an Arcane Shot at the wrong time and paying the full 30 focus for it can often delay using much more important abilities due to lack of Focus. There are some amazingly fantastic players out there that manage their focus to a T and never delay an Explosive Shot, but can you or I say we are capable of such perfection? Aside from that TotH is a tremendous boon to your AoE, especially when the AoE has to be done consistently like on Galakras/Fallen Protectors.

One last thing I'll mention...don't use Noxxic. It's a decent resource for beginners but it is not what you want to follow when you are truly looking to maximize your raid dps. There are much better guides at places like Icy Veins or even right here on the MMO Hunter forums up at the sticky topics.

Deleted
    Thank you for taking your time to help me and giving me good advices/tips. I will look them up tomorrow when im home again.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried switching from DB to TotH and Blink Strikes to Murder of Crows during my ToT 10man run yesterday, and i noticed alot higher uptime on Rapid Fire, which gives me in the end more dps, still not sure with Murder of Crows as its a 2min cooldown and not sure if it's worth it. Don't really know how to calculate it. Ofc it depends on the fight, but in general, what do you use the most?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Argalin View Post
    One of the Fallen Protectors is occasionally ran out and tanked elsewhere for awhile on many occasions during the encounter. Not to mention how He Softfoot loves to shadowstep all over the place. Don't just depend on Multi-Shot for your multi-dotting. Sometimes you have to throw out individual SS and I highly recommend creating macros for it(an example would be /target He Softfoot /cast Serpent Sting /targetlasttarget) I'm mentioning this fight in particular but this is just one good example. Making sure to have Serpent Sting on all targets that will live for at least a couple ticks is crucial for maximizing SV damage otherwise you are better off going BM.

I've found Glaive Toss to only trump Barrage on Immerseus(Barrage is better on Heroic Imm), Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok(I prefer Barrage on heroic Malk for MDing the adds), Thok, and Siegecrafter. Pretty much every fight I did not mention Barrage is better than Glaive Toss by a considerable margin, especially when timed/aimed/used properly.
    Examples of good timing; It's worth delaying Barrage for a few seconds if you know Rook or Sun are about to their Desperate Measures on the Fallen Protectors encounter because a bunch more adds join the fray. On Norushen Barrage should be used and aimed properly to hit every Essence of Corruption on screen for maximum benefit, don't use Barrage if there aren't any adds on screen. On Sha of Pride I often have delay Barrage to make sure I have it for when Self Reflection spawns all those adds. On Dark Shamans once the bosses hit 65% it's very important you only use Barrage when Foul Geyser spawns all dem slimes, Barrage times perfectly with each Foul Geyser. Barrage is great to hit all of Nazgrim's adds even when they are spread out across the screen, always have a Barrage for each time he summons more.
    Last but not least on Garrosh later on in the fight I like to save Barrage for when the boss Mind Controls several people. Extremely effective burst that can hit all of the MC targets even when spread out a bit. I know that's a long shpiel but as you can see I love Barrage. One last thing to consider is when the adds are clumped it's better to get in an initial Multi-Shot before Barrage so that while you are channeling your Serpent Sting is beginning to start ticking.

Dire Beast pretty much sucks for SV in my personal opinion, especially once you have the 2 piece as you stated you do have. It adds to button bloat and doesn't contribute much to helping you AoE which is where SV shines. My rule of thumb is if I'm going to spec A Murder of Crows I'm using Fervor(which is almost never), otherwise it's Thrill of The Hunt. What TotH does for you that many don't consider is that it makes your rotation more error proof. Using an Arcane Shot at the wrong time and paying the full 30 focus for it can often delay using much more important abilities due to lack of Focus. There are some amazingly fantastic players out there that manage their focus to a T and never delay an Explosive Shot, but can you or I say we are capable of such perfection? Aside from that TotH is a tremendous boon to your AoE, especially when the AoE has to be done consistently like on Galakras/Fallen Protectors.

One last thing I'll mention...don't use Noxxic. It's a decent resource for beginners but it is not what you want to follow when you are truly looking to maximize your raid dps. There are much better guides at places like Icy Veins or even right here on the MMO Hunter forums up at the sticky topics.
    I REALLY want to empathize this point.. Soo many use Noxxic and expect it to be a source of Min/max information, and I don't think they are dumb, they just don't know any better!

Ivy Veins got alot of usefull information, and tips, and then use the forums like now, go through the all, theres a ton of information..

The best players out there are players that are able to find a shit ton of information, use that information, narrow it down the the actual usefull stuff and then adapt it to their own playstyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Verjin View Post
    Thank you for taking your time to help me and giving me good advices/tips. I will look them up tomorrow when im home again.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried switching from DB to TotH and Blink Strikes to Murder of Crows during my ToT 10man run yesterday, and i noticed alot higher uptime on Rapid Fire, which gives me in the end more dps, still not sure with Murder of Crows as its a 2min cooldown and not sure if it's worth it. Don't really know how to calculate it. Ofc it depends on the fight, but in general, what do you use the most?
    AMoC is the highest DPS ability in that tree for SV, definitely. Any fight which is a multiple of 2m + 30s is ideal for AMoC. It loses damage (in that you can't cast it another time) in fights which are a multiple of 2 flat, but it is still probably better than BS, though you'd have to sim it for specific fight lengths (4, 6, 8, 10 minutes are the ones I'd be concerned with, that's where most fights fall in). And any fight where you're under 20% period starts near a multiple of 2m, and will last 1m30s more at the least (IE, long bosses with big health pools), or have multiple sub-20% phases, AMoC gains even more damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    AMoC is the highest DPS ability in that tree for SV, definitely. Any fight which is a multiple of 2m + 30s is ideal for AMoC. It loses damage (in that you can't cast it another time) in fights which are a multiple of 2 flat, but it is still probably better than BS, though you'd have to sim it for specific fight lengths (4, 6, 8, 10 minutes are the ones I'd be concerned with, that's where most fights fall in). And any fight where you're under 20% period starts near a multiple of 2m, and will last 1m30s more at the least (IE, long bosses with big health pools), or have multiple sub-20% phases, AMoC gains even more damage.
    So I just have to figure out which bosses are long fights and got some sub phases, and fights with alot of switching I'll be going with BS

Deleted
    So I just have to figure out which bosses are long fights and got some sub phases, and fights with alot of switching I'll be going with BS
    Its always figuring out what is best for each fight. Every opinion of every player is different. As long as you improve yourself each fight and each raid. After a while you will know what to do in every situation and adept yourself to it. Since you only have 4 months of expierence as Hunter you have plenty of time to improve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remcos View Post
    Its always figuring out what is best for each fight. Every opinion of every player is different. As long as you improve yourself each fight and each raid. After a while you will know what to do in every situation and adept yourself to it. Since you only have 4 months of expierence as Hunter you have plenty of time to improve.
    Aye that's true, although I only have 4 months exp in this expansion pack, did play Hunter from Vanilla to wotlk where i switched to shaman

I hated Toth, but I think its because I treated it like a lock and load proc. Made me feel like I had to hit those whenever they were up in order to take full advantage. I might try it again and play the normal rotation I normally do, and see how it works.

Pocketful- 110 Priest- Savant - US Proudmoore

Any fight (with choices this close) will result in fine tuning based on fight length. Hell, even on a week to week basis, it might change, because you might kill it 30s faster and lose an AMoC.

Generally speaking though, I think AMoC is the clear winner for SV.