Thread: A WoW Sequel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    The main difference is, while games like EQ/GW have expansions and sequels, WoW's expansion is more a combination of the 2. Blizzard is able to change WoW at its core so there is no reason to make a WoW2.

Nearly all of the MMO expansion are essentially raising level cap, adding new achievements/titles, new class/abilities/recipies, new zones/dungeons, new quests without actual core changes. Main reason is that with an existing code base, sometimes it is just very difficult to actually change how the game works. So studios opt to make a sequel so they can build all their ideas into the sequel.

Take EQ:Next for example, EQ:Next will feature a world built with tiny pieces so you can actually damage the world with spell/abilities (like literally destorying an enemy city and see the walls crumble). Doesn't this sound awesome for EQ? But it is not possible to add this into EQ at this point so that's why it's added in EQ:Next.

Whereas in WoW, they acutally change how the game functions. For example, phasing technology, CRZ, player housing, pet battle, talent system redo, normalizing gears, transmog, etc. These are on top of the usual raising level cap, new zones/quests, more superficial stuff. Many game companies do not have the capability to do those things with an old code base.

So there is really no need for WoW2 as long as Blizzard can continue to evolve WoW at its very core.
    What category do you think a complete revamp of character creation would be?

For example being able to edit facial features and body types like the one in EVE Online. This would essentially change every player character and racial NPC in the game. Level of detail with character model updates are one thing, but adding cosmetic attributes (eye angle, cheekbone slope, RGB color values, etc.) that did not exist before is a whole other animal.

I think it would be screwing with the game's core code and it probably wouldn't be worth it and would most likely need a separate sequel to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    What do you need WoW 2 for which isn´t possible with WoW?
    This is exactly why we won't have WoW 2 in the next 10 years, if ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlords of Draenor is for all intents and purposes, a sequel, more so than any other WoW expansion has been.

Consider that the engine is upgraded, the player models are updated. The numbers are "squished". Everything that needs to be changed, is changing.

And oh, by the way, you can pick up Warlords off the shelf and begin playing as a brand new player in the Warlords Zone as a freshly promoted level 90, as if you had been playing all a long.

It just happens to be a sequel with access to all of its past areas/zones/raids intact, along with its entire playerbase not having to create "new" characters to access it.

So yeah... WoW 2? WoW 2 was Burning Crusade. We're on WoW 5 and we're soon to get WoW 6. It just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    Warlords of Draenor is for all intents and purposes, a sequel, more so than any other WoW expansion has been.

Consider that the engine is upgraded, the player models are updated. The numbers are "squished". Everything that needs to be changed, is changing.

And oh, by the way, you can pick up Warlords off the shelf and begin playing as a brand new player in the Warlords Zone as a freshly promoted level 90, as if you had been playing all a long.

It just happens to be a sequel with access to all of its past areas/zones/raids intact, along with its entire playerbase not having to create "new" characters to access it.

So yeah... WoW 2? WoW 2 was Burning Crusade. We're on WoW 5 and we're soon to get WoW 6. It just keeps getting better and better.

WoW evolves either to meet or innovate above the competition. The day the core code of WoW is unable to evolve to meet and/or exceed the competition, will be the day the sequel is planned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailyara View Post
    I really like this answer. It's absolutely right.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

If BC is WoW 2, then I think we can call WoD, WoW 2-2.

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    What category do you think a complete revamp of character creation would be?

For example being able to edit facial features and body types like the one in EVE Online. This would essentially change every player character and racial NPC in the game. Level of detail with character model updates are one thing, but adding cosmetic attributes (eye angle, cheekbone slope, RGB color values, etc.) that did not exist before is a whole other animal.

I think it would be screwing with the game's core code and it probably wouldn't be worth it and would most likely need a separate sequel to implement.
    Blizzard's character model update is a lot of work but I don't know if that is really changing the core of things. It really depends on how the code is written. My guess is that their code base is written well enough that this isn't a major overhaul. Adding more customization also would depend on how the code is written, this isn't obvious.

But if they were to change the engine so WoW is no longer cartoonish but like... what you see in cinematics, then it would be. I would be really amazed if Blizzard can work this in but I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one. After all, graphic update is usually exciting for a few days and that's it. A lot of work has been put into updating original azeroth and now it's looked on as "bad investment".
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there