Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thoughts on Garrisons?

How is this going to change the RP world in wow? Or do you guys think it will have any affect at all?

While I don't RP, I imagine those that do could have a goodly amount of fun with garrisons.

Either they're going to be fun to use RP spots, in which case they'll serve as just that, or they won't be, in which case they'll change absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Either they're going to be fun to use RP spots, in which case they'll serve as just that, or they won't be, in which case they'll change absolutely nothing.
    exactly my thoughts. either the RP community will love them, or they will be ignored.

i think the problem is that the garrisons lie in Draenor. so unless everyone has agreed to play it out as if it were in current time azeroth, it means everyone of the players would be time-travelling heroes.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

I can see it having a pretty strong effect depending on the guild. example scenario: your guild decides does military RP and decides that one characters particular garrison is the "guild base" on Dreanor and so they use it for RP there and for the duration of WoD that's where they operate from. it's not perfect as that character has to be there for all RP but until they eventually give us guild bases it's something. That said even RP between individuals can happen in a non invadable space.

Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    it's not perfect as that character has to be there for all RP but until they eventually give us guild bases it's something.
    This is probably the biggest limitation in terms of RP that comes with the Garrisons, and possibly a reason they won't be widely adopted as the RP places to be.

This is probably the biggest limitation in terms of RP that comes with the Garrisons, and possibly a reason they won't be widely adopted as the RP places to be.
    Well, they could always hide in one of the buildings!
    Doesn't solve them always having to be online though, could maybe use a dummy account + instant 90 to make a perpetually online character if you had money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Well, they could always hide in one of the buildings!
    Doesn't solve them always having to be online though, could maybe use a dummy account + instant 90 to make a perpetually online character if you had money to burn.
    You'd have to find a way around the 'DC after 30 mins AFK' thing, though...
    I'm sure it could be done. Not sure it would be worth it, though.

EDIT: You'd also have to put time and effort into leveling that dummy account character's garrison to something that looks good.
    Last edited by Lynneiah; 2013-11-20 at 02:50 PM.

I'd love it if Blizzard either gave us the option for making the Guild Master's Garrison a "Guild Garrison" others could visit, online or not. Or if they could give us a "Guild Hall" building in the Garrison that is at least identical for every guildy that places it, and perhaps even accessable as somewhat of an instance for everyone in the guild, meaning entering it you could see all other guild members currently in their own guild hall.

I don't think they'll go for any sort of guild support however. So that's too bad. As for how it will impact RP?

Well, the world is going to become emptier. A lot of people are going to be RPing at their garrison. Social groups and guilds may barely leave theirs.

I still think they offer a lot of interesting potential for RP, beyond just social stuff. I'll be likely to run a few "Defend the Garrison" events, or start events from them, as beacons of civilization on the savage world, to start missions from.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Well, the world is going to become emptier. A lot of people are going to be RPing at their garrison. Social groups and guilds may barely leave theirs.
    I rather doubt this would happen. There are a number of reasons, why Garrisons might not be that appealing to RP in all the time. The Garrison owner has to be online and present in the party/raid, meaning they can't be doing dungeons/raids/scenarios/PvP/... at the same time. The Garrisons are all in Draenor, and some guilds might not have an IC reason to go there, let alone *own* a fortress (I can see it work for military guilds. Less so merchant guilds, for example.)

Beyond that, RP guilds seek secluded places for Guild RP as it is. I don't see why casual, spur of the moment RP still won't take place in locations like the Stormwind Gazebo.

Pretty sweet, but more than just the garrisons, I want them to be very successful because of what they COULD turn into in the future. There is a shitload of room for growth with garrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmakus View Post
    exactly my thoughts. either the RP community will love them, or they will be ignored.

i think the problem is that the garrisons lie in Draenor. so unless everyone has agreed to play it out as if it were in current time azeroth, it means everyone of the players would be time-travelling heroes.
    Unless the Alliance and Horde send armies over (which seems to be the case here), so thus being a part of the sea of faces is still legitimate and thus there's an excuse for all RP characters to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    Unless the Alliance and Horde send armies over (which seems to be the case here), so thus being a part of the sea of faces is still legitimate and thus there's an excuse for all RP characters to be there.
    Not everyone RPs as a soldier, though.

Not everyone RPs as a soldier, though.
    No but if a massive number of people are able to go through the portal to Old Draenor then there's a sea of faces. Everyone has the opportunity to get in. If it's canon that only a select few go through, then that makes it harder to make an excuse.

No but if a massive number of people are able to go through the portal to Old Draenor then there's a sea of faces. Everyone has the opportunity to get in. If it's canon that only a select few go through, then that makes it harder to make an excuse.
    True, opportunity is there. I was more talking about motivation.
    Think: "My socially awkward Pandaren blacksmith can certainly go to Draenor. But why would she want to?"

True, opportunity is there. I was more talking about motivation.
    Think: "My socially awkward Pandaren blacksmith can certainly go to Draenor. But why would she want to?"
    Motivation isn't really part of the discussion though (at least originally), we're talking accessibility. You can make motivation. It's far more difficult to make an excuse for being able to access something.

As for your pandaren blacksmith, there'll be ores that were lost due to the shattering of Draenor that she could procure. Old blueprints lost to the sands of time. If she's mainly about being a blacksmith then I would assume a chance to further her craft would be a solid motivation.

Deleted
    I plan to role-play in Draenor so I'm looking forward to this feature. I would have preferred guild garrisons to be honest, but the point made by Blizzard devs was actually good (only a few people would have experienced the managing side of it). However garrisons can host up to 40 players, so if you have a guy who's often online you might also have an unofficial guild garrison.

Why is it that no one gets or understands that they'll be "PHASED" not a whole zone filled with them. This game doesn't work that way and never has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should know this by now. I also don't see what RP'ing "which I don't do" has anything to do with them at all, unless it's "Yes, peon go do work for my power over you, *peon stares at you and idles animation"

Sounds stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Derajal View Post
    Why is it that no one gets or understands that they'll be "PHASED" not a whole zone filled with them. This game doesn't work that way and never has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay? You can still bring people in to your garrison. Spontaneous RP isn't the only kind of RP.

I also don't see what RP'ing "which I don't do" has anything to do with them at all, unless it's "Yes, peon go do work for my power over you, *peon stares at you and idles animation"

Sounds stupid.
    Then, you'll forgive me for saying this, but you aren't really using your imagination then.

There's a lot of RP aspects to it that can be taken advantage of that don't have to do with the actual gameplay. For one, a personalized town RP, soldier RP (as in living in and defending a fort). Just a place for people to do some character development without someone jumping around in between you and your compatriot shouting some innate OOC crud for the hell of it. Plenty of opportunity for RP. All that was off the top of my head... about five seconds worth of thought was put into those ideas.

Then, you'll forgive me for saying this, but you aren't really using your imagination then.
    I'm 30 with two kids and a demanding wife, my imagination is dead, and I sure as hell won't use my gameplay time to fake guard someone's town.

It would be best used the way it was meant to be. Do what you gotta do and gain from it or skip it if it's a waste of time.
    Like the farm, 110% profit, I just hate having to waste my time killing the vermin and god damn birds that pop up, That's why I stopped doing it 11 90's and gotta stop working on crops to deal with petty mobs. AUGH
    Last edited by Derajal; 2013-11-24 at 03:01 AM.