Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taojnhy View Post
    So, I just read your edits on the OP Stray.

Specifically:

Way to play the victim; Theka would be proud of you. In the future, I'll know better than to respond to anything you post unless I'm patting you on the back with one hand while giving you a thumbs-up with the other.
    I played it, and I played it well. Give me an oscar.

EDIT: Also, that pat would be appreciated, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I would like to send a message to whichever Blizz coder/coder team decided to put a Berserker (the Yaung-holes that do a 500k-plus flaming charge stun) on the bridge that leads to Huolon, that seems to respawn whenever anyone in chat says "Huolon is up!"

*ahem*

@#*& you.
    My druid friend that usually groups with me to do the dailies agrees 10000% with you. For some reason when we are mounted on the Mechano Hog mount, she in the side-car, they ALWAYS target her and try as i might to keep her alive and unharmed (without just dismounting and killing the damn thing) she gets beat up pretty bad.

F**K that bridge Yaung-hole!! He's a bag of dicks!!

OT: Also, this thread has out lived it's usefulness and is spinning into oblivion, the ride has been fun, but pointless.

Bottom line: Some players think Content A is challenging in some way and fun, some players think it's not. Guess what? YOU'RE BOTH RIGHT.
    Last edited by freakyduck; 2013-11-20 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I do tend to question the mechanic of a mob that you absolutely cannot get away from unless you have stealth. Had a freind drag that guy all the way to the celestials and it did not give up last night.

I think that's excellent. Frankly, the whole island should work like an instance, and mobs should never drop aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I just do not agree that a mob should be able to out distance a mounted player by continually charging them until they are dead. Same goes with throwing a stun on it. When the stun wears off you get charged from half way across the zone.
    Still I don't see the difficulty of that mob itself as an issue, more the placement of some of them (on roads, for instance). I agree with you, if you're just running past it on a road those mobs are the epitome of "waste your fucking time making you kill it, when you just want to get to Point B."

As for the charge itself it has a 60 yard range and you can LOS it. I'm not against "anti-run-away" mechanics or "anti-ranged" mechanics on mobs in general, but yeah, they need to be better placed if they are designed to keep you in combat until you kill it or die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think that's excellent. Frankly, the whole island should work like an instance, and mobs should never drop aggro.
    They should at the Celestial Court at least, and it's really not fun if Patrolling mobs on Roads worked that way. I'm not disagreeing that I think some combat should be harder to escape from, should you choose to engage in it in the first place.

I agree OP, the entire leveling experience on my warrior up to 90 was basically 'lets see how many mobs I can pull at once and then LOLSTORM them down!". On the island I actually have to think and plan, not just with Ordos mobs but even the Death Adders if I am not specced into a stun.

Not sure why this thread is so full of negativity- it cannot be argued that the mobs on the island hit significantly harder than anything outside of a raid, and personally I find it to be quite fun getting one shot from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    I agree OP, the entire leveling experience on my warrior up to 90 was basically 'lets see how many mobs I can pull at once and then LOLSTORM them down!". On the island I actually have to think and plan, not just with Ordos mobs but even the Death Adders if I am not specced into a stun.

Not sure why this thread is so full of negativity- it cannot be argued that the mobs on the island hit significantly harder than anything outside of a raid, and personally I find it to be quite fun getting one shot from time to time
    Oh, the negativity is actually due to the OP's supermassive but easily bruised own ego (you can check page 2 and on).

But I am glad that people enjoy the isle itself... one tip about Death Adders for a warrior, you can outrange their attack, so leap/charge away as they are finishing their cast and you avoid it completely. [edit] Another trick is that if its finishing its cast you can root it and walk away, you need to do this a bit before he finishes the cast though.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Oh, the negativity is actually due to the OP's supermassive but easily bruised own ego
    I'll just leave this here...

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark
    For most "average joes" aka people who suck at even normal elites such as you, it's made for a group.
    Edit: Found another little gem.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark
    So it's gone from "it's so hard" to "ooooh i'm so good." Can you get over yourself already?
    Punches are thrown when punches are thrown my friend.

I'm out.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-11-20 at 07:40 PM.

It depends on your character and your server.

On my main, on a super full locked-several-nights-a-week server, Timeless Isle is quite easy - there's always groups - you literally (I tried!) cannot kill Huolon, loot him, leap off the bridge with goblin glider switch to your waterstrider mount and haul ass in time to kill Varsuvius which spawned right as Huolon died. Nope, too late it's already dead. In addition I outgear the content.

But I recently finally dinged 90 on my old neglected former main - he's hitting the Timeless Isle still using his legendary staff, Dragonwrath. (Stop laughing. Screw you all!) I didn't feel like being ganked (Sorry ahole rogue who posted above, I'm weirdly no longer into being a victim) so I got my wife to invite me to a group - so now I'm magically transported via cross-realm grouping (HA I FOUND SOMETHING USEFUL ABOUT CRZ HOLY CRAP) to a medium/low pop PVE server. What a difference! There's no groups to kill stuff, and my god is everything dangerous - and it's all there, too! I never realized how full of monsters the timeless isle was, because on my server we're killing it all, all the time.

Both conditions were fun. On the whole, the busier server was more fun because groups = kills = loot = more fun than plinking away at one elite at a time.

In both cases, getting all the one time chests was fine.

I didn't find it all that challenging, I was able to get a fresh 90 around to all the boxes without fighting anything, got two 535 items plus full 496 gear and a 476 weapon in about 90 minutes by killing the whale, ship, plus some loot from Ordos/Celestials I don't count since it's random. Promptly shelved the new Pally, since I have exactly zero interest in doing LFR again. At least it will be in a good place for 6.0, should I wind up wanting to switch mains.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    TI just sucks if you don't have a DPS spec. I basically just wait for evermaw/ship, huo, cinder, etc and just kill them to slowly churn out some coins.

I agree. People are cheesing in their replies, I think ("What? That 100 pound bag is heavy? I could hardly feel it"). As usual. If you hit up TI in quest greens and blues (or even 476ish gear) it can be pretty interesting. If you don't pay attention, the mobs can kill you fairly quickly at any ilvl. That said, Chi-Ji's buff is really, really OP for some classes. Like ridiculously OP.

Just as an aside, if you're wandering into this thread claiming that no, you didn't notice any difference between 500k hp Isle of Thunder mobs and the 1.3 mill+ hp TI mobs that have special abilities that hit like a truck... we know you're both full of crap and posturing on an internet forum, and frankly it's a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    TI just sucks if you don't have a DPS spec. I basically just wait for evermaw/ship, huo, cinder, etc and just kill them to slowly churn out some coins.
    Healers have never been great at solo content. Tanks are fine on the island, if a little slower at killing.

@OP, I didn't find it hard as a dinged or geared max level (I quite enjoyed trying to kill the more difficult mobs like the charging yaungol on my mage while levelling though) but I can see how other players would. It's definitely nice that the island can meet a large range of skill levels where at the top of the island if i lose focus I will be dead in 5 seconds.

@alternategray it's class dependent. Melee dps are going to naturally struggle more to most of the threats on the island, especially the key killers such as molten guardians (cinderfall) that ranged can just outrange. Ranged with pets especially trivialize the island mobs and while it is annoying, it's not exactly cutting edge content they're trivializing so it's not a huge deal.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2013-11-20 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Alternategray View Post
    Just as an aside, if you're wandering into this thread claiming that no, you didn't notice any difference between 500k hp Isle of Thunder mobs and the 1.3 mill+ hp TI mobs that have special abilities that hit like a truck... we know you're both full of crap and posturing on an internet forum, and frankly it's a little weird.
    The HP just means it's longer/more annoying to kill the mobs. All "special abilities that hit like a truck" are telegraphed either by a large obvious mark on the ground or by cast bars, and are almost all avoidable. That's why we don't talk about how hard it is... they only hit like a truck if they land.

Stuff that is more difficult to avoid (i.e. hard hitting melee attacks which require CC or kiting) usually makes for content that's more difficult - except by tanks, which is a reason I think they've moved away from just melee attacks.

I mentioned the Yaungol endurance factor difficulty also: They have semi-easily avoidable per mob (harder if you are melee and have more than one mob) near-instant kills (instant if you are undergeared). Despite that you only really see deaths if you are a decent player due to endurance factor - the attacks aren't that difficult to dodge, but you have to dodge a lot of them, and a single mistake (out of many, many dodges) is an instant kill. Luckily, we don't play Diablo Hardcore Mode, but even if we did the solution would be to be extra careful only to pull one mob at a time, and not to do too many in one sitting.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-11-20 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    umm.... how are you dying? I didn't think it was hard at all.
    I have to say that some parts of it are still hard to solo (at least for me) in a 542 geared shadow priest. Most are zero problem - I regularly pull 4+ of the mobs around firewatcher ruins, but higher up at the blazing way - those mobs are still hard to solo (especially if someone else pulls something too near and you get their aoe nearly hitting you too). I think the isle is well balanced tbh, there is easy stuff, fairly easy stuff, and harder stuff. Some of the mobs can easily one shot you if you fail to move in half a second etc, and the snakes really hurt if you take a few hits. Once you can kill them fast they are easy but until then they can easily kill. Its mostly gear dependant is the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    All chests opened, still waiting on a curio to help me replace my shitty trinkets.
    And then you will still only replace one

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Its mostly gear dependant is the point.
    Many mobs have tricks which lower geared players can use, but the gear dependency really helps with efficiency. Most of the mobs can be killed by my undergeared toons just because all deadly attacks are avoidable, but the kill rate is so awful I don't really see a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro89 View Post
    Cinderfall approves of this thread. May he continue to cause large amounts of repair bills for melee players!
    hit him once and back away let ranged take him down? it's what i do anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonn View Post
    Same here haha! Sometimes I run in there all cocky, but I get slaughtered.

I agree, I enjoy being reminded of my in-game mortality every once in awhile. That being said, I think Blizzard missed the boat with the Isle, and should have made mobs share tags (regular/elite mobs, not rares) in the same fashion as Guild Wars 2. Being on a high pop server sucks if you want to kill anything at most hours.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Many mobs have tricks which lower geared players can use, but the gear dependency really helps with efficiency. Most of the mobs can be killed by my undergeared toons just because all deadly attacks are avoidable, but the kill rate is so awful I don't really see a point.
    I have to say that on a new toon - one with just the timeless items - I mainly stick to the elite birds - they are always easy to kill its just a shame there are so many people doing the same thing Note: I CAN kill harder stuff on a new toon - but I dont see the effort/benefit working out as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonn View Post
    Most (all?) melee have at least ONE ranged ability even if it has a longish cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by jetersky View Post
    I agree, I enjoy being reminded of my in-game mortality every once in awhile. That being said, I think Blizzard missed the boat with the Isle, and should have made mobs share tags (regular/elite mobs, not rares) in the same fashion as Guild Wars 2. Being on a high pop server sucks if you want to kill anything at most hours.
    Luckily I don't have that issue, the server I play on is dying. (Maybe not so lucky, who knows.)