Poll: Which was Implemented Better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Deathknight vs Monk: Which was Implemented Better?

I like Monk a little bit better; not a big fan of the rune system for dks, it feels really limiting. Unlike Warlock or Shadow Priest for example where you can dot all the things and do crazy dps.

In regards to Monks I only played the Mistweaver spec seriously, the main problem I had with it is that you can't really choose who you want to heal effectively (Renewing Mists). I hope they fix that for WoD, but besides that it's a really fun class.

Deleted
    Monk, the QQ when DKs were introduced still rings in my ears to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks were implemented better probably, but I personally like how death knights play. DK's were OP at release which made PvP very wonky and starting at level 55 was a mistake in my opinion.

Implemented better or plays better? Monks were without a doubt implemented better. Shadow of Death, so many tears.

Monks were absolutely implemented better. Death Knights were vastly imbalanced at release.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    Implemented better or plays better? Monks were without a doubt implemented better. Shadow of Death, so many tears.
    Well "plays better" kind of depends on the player, so you can decide.

Deleted
    Monk DKs went through many iterations in both pvp and pve before they felt like a normal class, the all 3 specs can tank/dps was a neat idea but it never really worked out. PvP? The one button macro, the scourge strike spam, raise undead, corpse explosion etc. Monks have their annoyances but they are in a much better position than DKs were.

Monks felt a lot better at launch then DKs
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

imho - Monk was implemented better.

However, DKs are much cooler Blizz just tried to do too much with DKs during their implementation, and it became a nightmare.

If the question was "which class do you like more?", then I would pick DK - by a huge margin. They are just much more fun to play.

balance wise, monks. long are the days I wish unholy is as godly as it was when Wrath launched.

Lorewise Death knight. Gameplay monks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

In terms of gameplay anybody saying DK is looking through rose tinted glasses.

Holy shit original DKs were the most OP class since they had that short period in Vanilla where paladins could murder you in seconds and solo Lord Kazzak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Knights were severaly broken in the beginning of Wrath, Monks had some broken abilites & some were OP. But they were implemented very well & Blizzard learned from the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    When I hear the term "implementation" I tend to think about it in terms of mechanics and system, which in my mind the Monk class wins handily. DK's suffered deep imbalance issues, mechanical problems with their skills, an unclear sense of focus for their talents, skill roulette until they were finally in a good place, and even a partial rewrite to their core mechanisms (the great Rune cost/functionality changes in mid-Wrath) to bring them in line. Monks, at their opening, had only a few scaling issues and the need for some internal skills re-balancing during their implementation. Of course, the DK was also WoW's first new class - so I imagine Blizzard learned many lessons about what a new class means for WoW that they applied to the release of the Monk class.

Lore-wise, I think the DK wins out. The opening class-specific quests and self-contained starting experience for DK's was simply top notch and hasn't really been duplicated for any of the other classes (I think it would be a great idea for the future, both to promote the creation of alts and just to flesh out the history of the game world). Their lore and its many tie-ins to the events of Wrath aren't really echoed by the Monk experience in MoP, I'm of the opinion that being a Monk going through the MoP leveling zones and quests should just a touch more special than the other classes. Of course, the trade-off for DK's now is that they kind of seem disconnected from the game world as a whole... their story seems kind of finished with the events of Wrath yet they persist in the game without any real focus (although you can't focus on all the classes all the time).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

DK by a mile. Though, the rune system change between WotLK and Cataclysm somewhat ruined the class.

Monk by ten thousand miles. DKs were overpowered for more than a year after they were added.

They learned a lot from the DK fracas so Monk implementation was way less disruptive to the game. In some respects DKs remain gamebreakingly OP to this day, eg soloing.

However I have to say I kind of prefer my DK to my Monk so far. I find my Monk's abilities surprisingly cluttered considering it's a brand new class.

Not that there aren't awesome things about Monks, eg the totally ridiculous mobility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Deathknight lore was so enjoyable at the expansion launch. It felt unique having the Lich King command you and then cast you aside to die, only to have you come back. The starting area was very cool (the first time) and overall a very cool start to the Northrend experience.

As for imbalance - of course, DK's had issues, but it was also the first implementation of a "hero" class.

Monks were implemented better, but that's mostly because of what they learned from the release of Death Knights. Not really a fair comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk, I still remember fighting god mode DKs on my rogue in Outlands.. YES I killed him! Owait now he's his fuckin pet, 2nd life much?