Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

What property + studio might actually put a dent in WoW?

BioWare + Star Wars failed, which is, er was, a very serious challenge.

I think the only property that could provide a real edge on WoW is Discworld (Harry Potter could have at one point but not now). The various other obvious candidates are already licensed and/or are associated with existing or failed MMOs.

So who would make "Discworld the MMORPG"?

Bethesda + Discworld?
    Rockstar + Discworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post

I think the only property that could provide a real edge on WoW is Discworld (Harry Potter could have at one point but not now). The various other obvious candidates are already licensed and/or are associated with existing or failed MMOs.

Bethesda + Discworld?
    Rockstar + Discworld?
    I would say Blizzard will be the one to continue to put a dent in WoW.

Bad game choices, pet battles, scenarios, brawler's guild, garrirson's.

All of which detract from the core game play that made Warcraft great, lots of dungeons and awesome raids.

Not to mention these fucking stupid pandas, and giant rabbits as dungeon bosses.

WoW is kind of like the CoD of MMO's, and that's a funny thing to say when you consider they're both under Activision. Battlefield 3 is better than Ghosts, but what game sells better and is played by more people?

In other words, I don't really think anything will dent it, or that people who play WoW will run to that new game. Why? Because no game can be better than WoW without feeling too much like it, after all that's the reason people still play it. If that were the case, millions would be playing Rift or something.

Blizzard themselves.

Blizzard is doing more harm than any other MMO because of their stupid choices.

If any MMO was going to compete, I'd say it would be the Elder Scrolls MMO which is coming out next year. The game series is very popular and they allow tons of customization for characters, which is what most, if not all players like. So I think they'll take a good chunk of subs from WoW.

Deleted
    Discworld, really?
    If the Warhammer, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan didnt kill WoW, Discworld definitelly will not either.

Deleted
    As Rochana said, no single company or game is going to rip 7 million subs of WoW, but combined they eat a little every year.

There won't be any as long as games try to copy and "improve" WoW instead of doing something unique that doesn't follow the same ideals started by Everquest 15+ years ago. The reason all of the "WoW Killers" thus far have failed isn't because of the games themselves in most cases, it's because they don't offer anything different gameplay-wise, just a different look but the same stuff. I'll take the one I'm most familiar with, Rift, as an example. Rift is a great game, but it's a blatant WoW clone. It does things in the same way (hit button, wait for response, repeat). It plays out the same (quest to level, dungeons to grind, raids/PVP for endgame). It's almost literally an updated version of WoW with a few things that set it apart (souls, events) but it still plays exactly like WoW, so for a lot of people the reason it's not as popular is because why do the same thing from scratch in a slightly different version of WoW, when you can just play WoW?

The only thing I've seen thus far that might put a dent would be ESO which isn't likely (too many issues I've heard, and a lot of artificial nonsense tossed in to appeal to PVPers) but at the same time it's not actually trying to compete with WoW, or possibly Everquest Next for the same reasons (although limited info exists on that right now). Realistically though nothing will deter from WoW because WoW is the king of the hill, and everything so far that has tried just imitates poorly. Even look at a game like Wildstar, which is the newest in a long line of "WoW Killers". It looks like a sci-fi type of WoW. It plays, for the most part, like WoW, with the same style of gameplay with a few extras. The devs are going in the same old direction of "hit max level, gear up, raid" like all the others before it, so it's going to face the same problem as all the others: Why would I play Wildstar and start from scratch (as an aside, every new MMO makes the same mistakes of the past and makes the first part of its existence extra grindy in a similar vein to Vanilla WoW) to do the same thing I already do in WoW and can do again within a week or so of the new expansion?

Deleted
    Discworld? I loves them books what is this MMO thing you are talking about? link me something man !!! ( I could google but then someone else might say "say what!")

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    WoW is kind of like the CoD of MMO's, and that's a funny thing to say when you consider they're both under Activision. Battlefield 3 is better than Ghosts, but what game sells better and is played by more people?
    Could you please elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post

All of which detract from the core game play that made Warcraft great, lots of dungeons and awesome raids.

Not to mention these fucking stupid pandas, and giant rabbits as dungeon bosses.
    How are those bad choices? (assuming your not really ignorant / just trolling)
    also fyi, you havent heard of designer teams before ? (example > the pet battle team is not the same team as the one that works on raids)
    "Next-Gen" is only a marketing label and not an actual advancement in the Graphics side of games, so quit fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post

Seriously? All the features you pointed out are side stuff. No one forces you to do them. You're complaining because people would rather play with those features and not with you? You just can't move on. You can't accept it because it's new and you're afraid you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Seriously? All the features you pointed out are side stuff. No one forces you to do them. You're complaining because people would rather play with those features and not with you? You just can't move on. You can't accept it because it's new and you're afraid you'll like it.
    Don't mind him - I doubt he's done anything but a few LFR wings, yet he's qualified to comment on the state of raiding in WoW.

No property, no studio. WoW is like a king that's impossible to kill o hurt, but it's not immortal and it will just die of old age. There were some pretty strong WoW killers that didn't even put a dent in it. If Bioware + Star Wars didn't hurt WoW, who the fuck will?

To think that "discworld" is in one league with Star Wars or WoW is quite delusional. And Harry Potter etc. can´t compete with WoW neither. The market is way to fragmented nowadays for a true contender to emerge. The only thing to end WoW is WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post

Bethesda + Discworld?
    Rockstar + Discworld?
    I don't know what any of that is. I've heard of Harry Potter, but never seen the movies (look so... just no.). Star Wars should have been the one to make a good mark. It is an awesome game. It was just missing a few components from making it great, subs fell and then server mergers killed it. It's P2P setup is atrocious compared to every other P2P game.

Discworld? bwahahahahaha no. The only thing that's coming out that has potential chance, is ESO, and even their chances are slim to none. GW2 has been pretty successful, but it's a completely different business model, so can't really compare. Also why does any game have to put a dent in WoW?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fallout MMO

Choose to play as Different Factions:

Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave, The Kings etc etc

Huge open wasteland battles.

Forget about IP and developers. That has nothing to do with it.

Mythic - warhammer failed
    Bioware - Starwars failed
    Funcom - Conan failed

New Studio - Eve still going strong
    New Studio - Rift still doing ok

The problem is that famous IPs bring so much baggage with them that it affects gameplay. DAOC succeeded as a pvp game because it had 3 factions and the smaller two always teamed up against the larger one. But the same developing house completely falied at Warhammer because the IP required only 2 factions and a game based on pvp with two factions will always fail, imagine if world pvp in wow was the center of gameplay.. yeah, you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by asthreon View Post
    fallout mmo

choose to play as different factions:

Brotherhood of steel, enclave, the kings etc etc

huge open wasteland battles.
    stfu and take all my money and my firstborn