Poll: Fav (expansion) starting zone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh that is a tough question!

I'll always have a soft spot for Hellfire, but that IS mostly from a nostalgic 'I was so excited at the time' kinda thing. Other zones are prettier (both in style and graphics) and play better... But because it has been so unchanged, you HAVE to do that starting zone, and because I've done it so many times I know it so well, both horde and alliance versions.

Howling Fjord has to be up there, looks so glorious, the quests, for the most part, flowed nicely and were diverse enough to keep entertained, definitely prefered it over Borean Tundra! (kinda upset that on my current monk play through I ended up in borean tundra without thinking about it, would much rather have done howling fjord..)

With the Cata starting zones it was less clear cut, I was pretty excited for leveling my druid main through Hyjal, And it did look nice and all that, the quests flowed near perfectly around the zone without needless travelling etc. But I think its downside is that its too long, by the end of it you're just like "I'm done, can we not just move on already" But I'm not sure what it is thats missing, it felt like just trudging through quests, rather than the immersive wonderfest it should've been... But I did prefer it over Vash'jir (though i'm not an underwater zone hater, but there was bits in Vash'jir that bugged me)

And last, but not least, Jade Forest, Another zone I really like! Scenery is beautiful, quests are a bit more immersive and they're interestingly varied and fun. I prefered the Jinyu quest hub to the Hozen one though.

So from worst to favourite:

Borean Tundra
    Vash'jir
    Hyjal
    Jade Forest

and tied for first

Hellfire Peninsula and Howling Fjord.

Deleted
    Howling Fjord by far!
    Amazing zone, nice quests, nice music and the most important thing of all, Vrykuls, my favourite race in the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Howling Fjord EASILY. Why, you might ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

I actually really really liked Hyjal, one of my favorite zones to level in, and one of the only starting zones I like.

Hellfire as it was on release. The PvP objectives meant it had good world PvP without much ganking. The Fel Reavers gave a nice sense of the place being dangerous. The group quests were also well done: you were encouraged to find a group to get better rewards, but they weren't really required for anything so you didn't have to do them if you didn't want to.

It's much less impressive if you do it now, as the group quests and world PvP relied on there being lots of people. The world PvP there also got less interesting when the PvP quests became daily instead of endlessly repeatable.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted
    This will be Vash Jir. That was the first zone i went and that i was impressed by it.

Deleted
    Howling Fjord because of the amazing music and surroundings. Jade Forest is a close second with the most beautiful place in-game, Dawn's Blossom.

The rest I don't particularly care for. In fact, Hellfire with it's ganking and super grindy quests can just go away.

Hellfire Peninsula and Borean Tundra both as horde were amazing and polished

Howling Fjord nostalgia aside, Jade Forest had AWESOME questlines and atmosphere imho. Was really impressed (my expectations were really low though haha)

Deleted
    Vashj'ir because it was something completely new to WoW mechanics...

Deleted
    People who voted for Hellfire must have forgotten about Hellboars lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demartan View Post
    Howling Fjord nostalgia aside, Jade Forest had AWESOME questlines and atmosphere imho. Was really impressed (my expectations were really low though haha)
    Awesome quest lines.... In jade forest? *blink blink*

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I hate(d) Hellfire so much. Sure, it felt somewhat epic...but I still absolutely cannot stand the whole setting of it, let alone the quests.
    This.

But hellfire still wins for me. I hate the questing there with a passion. But the zones look and the fact the dark portal music + when your first stepped through blew my frigging MIND. I was finally on the one place I always wanted to go since wc2. In WC3 outland was shown and I was like cool the orc homeworld survived in some way. Now with WoD we get to see what it would have been like if WC2 never happened

Jade forest is a close 2nd. It has better presentation quest flow better quests. The cinematics added that extra depth to it. the way the phasing works made the zone a huge step up. If hellfire didnt have the nostalgia and dark portal entrance music for me I would have had this as number 1

Howling Ford for me, an amazing starting experience for both factions.

I don't really get why Hellfire is getting so much love, the whole zone is completely bland, way too many kill 10 Y quests, and both factions have pretty much all the same quests. The lore was also pretty bad

Hellfire FELT the coolest to me, but Howling Fjord looks and had an incredible feel aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Torn between Howling Fjord and Hellfire Peninsula.
    Howling Fjord was beautiful, varied and I loved the boat ride in. Quests were fun. Hellfire when I stepped through the dark portal was epic, majestic in a barren, hostile wasteland sort of way. I voted Howling Fjord because I think that stayed entertaining all the way through, whereas I think Hellfire was all about the introduction.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

i'm gonna go with howling fjord too.

although elwynn forrest > all tbh ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Hellfire Peninsula was awesome. I stayed there all the way to 63, almost 64 on my first trip through back at BC launch.

I liked Borean Tundra, but after doing it on 10-12 characters (plus beta on 2-3 characters!) I just absolutely cannot stand it. The Nexus island area triggers my gag reflex to this day. I find it really ironic that it's quest achievement is called "Nothing Boring about Borean". I beg to differ!

10+ Year Old Account
    Howling Fjord without a doubt. The atmosphere, the music... It was like I could *smell* the sharp, cold northen air.
    Jade Forest is a very close second.

Though every zone had something going for it, though.
    - Stepping through the Dark Portal for the first time was amazing. (Seeing the red lands of Outland that you knew from War3 or War2, looking back at how immensely large the Dark Portal was from Outland's side...)
    - Mount Hyjal living up to the nature-ashenvale-esque expectations and seeing the layout in the present from what you knew of Mount Hyjal's past (in the TBC raid)...
    - Vashjir's story being pretty awesome that, for the first time ever, you really, *really* felt in over your head and suffering several defeats and setbacks just because you were *definitely* in Naga territory and they had the upper hand in this environment...

Only one I never really got into was Boring Tundra. Though I liked Coldarra.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Jade Forest. It's a beautiful zone, loved the flow of most of the quests, and it was a herbalists dream.

If all of them had the same quality of graphics, I probably would have went with Hyjal instead. Ysera hotness