Deleted

[Music] Best mobile device to listen to music too?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but my son is coming up to his 18th birthday and when asked about a present, said he would like something to use to listen to music too while travelling. He has a rather long 45 minute bus trip to school and will be off to university next year.

I'm a bit out of touch on the technology - what kind of device would people recommend? He's not keen on Apple products and earpieces (preferring headphones), but I think, like me, he's not very clued in to what's available.

Also, in terms of downloading music, how does it work these days payment wise? I know about itunes - is the model currently to pay for each track you download or are there any attractive subscriptions or other legal routes? (We're in the UK, if that matters.)

Thanks for any advice!

Deleted
    Any mobile device that has Spotify imo, make offline lists and pay the monthly fee (9$ ish).

10+ Year Old Account
    If he's not into Apple, the only logical product would be any Android based device. The thing is, Android devices usually support SD-cards for expandable memory as well as the ability to plug in and drop the files on it without any program like iTunes. My recommendations would be either the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

They are both high-end devices and will last for years. Both also have the latest technology so you won't be impaired by device limits. They also support microSD up to 64GB additional memory. So you can pretty much download music from where ever you want and put it on. And in case you want to download legally, there is also Google Music where you can download songs for a few cents (the library is huge). Another thing with these devices is that Samsung has a lot of support for different codecs so you can pretty much drop any video format on your phone and it plays. No need to convert so you don't have to jump through any hoops.

If he has a creative side, I would really recommend the Note 3. It comes with a stylus and a shitload of drawing apps. Also the added benefit of a larger screen allows for watching movies on the go with better comfort unlike any other device. It also sports the largest battery we have in phones today which ensures that it will last through the whole day.

I personally have the Galaxy S4, mainly because the Note 3 is just too big for me and I'm not much of creative person (when drawing at least). My phone lasts the whole day and I travel 2 hours to school and 2 hours back. So battery life is generally not an issue with these devices. I watch a lot of videos and listen to music on the go and even play games when I want something else to do.

For more info:
    Galaxy S4 - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/m...GT-I9505ZWABTU
    Galaxy Note 3 - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/m...SM-N9005ZWEBTU

They may be a bit pricey, but you can do pretty much anything on those devices which would ensure he has always something to do.