Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will WoW ever get to level 255?

Do you think wow will ever get to level 255? Or will the game die before that? Considering it took them 9 years 60-100

Imo i don't think so but would be fun if it did

I don't think we're ever going to gain more than 10 levels per expansion, and as that would require a minimum of 15 expansions, more than doubling WoW's current lifespan (possibly tripling)

no

Just because we've seen only 5 and 10 level increases per expansion does not mean one day we might not see a 50 or 100 level increase in an expansion with a huge change to leveling system. It's not impossible, so I'm just gonna say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    Do you think wow will ever get to level 255? Or will the game die before that? Considering it took them 9 years 60-100

Imo i don't think so but would be fun if it did
    Why 255? It's not necessarily the highest number WoW levels can reach. Do you think it's so hard to store level numbers in more than one byte?

15+ Year Old Account
    Only reason I could not see them going above 3 digits at least is that it wouldn't fit in the UI.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Why 255 and not 265?
    but yes, i don't think we'll hit more than 150 and we'll transition to a level-less/paragonish experience. That's what i hope at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    Why 255 and not 265?
    but yes, i don't think we'll hit more than 150 and we'll transition to a level-less/paragonish experience. That's what i hope at least.
    I can see them doing that with the next expansion. 100 would be a good level to switch over to... maybe... Paragon Levels, or something similar.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypetrain View Post
    Why 255 and not 265?
    Programming thing, binary code. 255 = 11111111

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thoruga View Post
    Why 255? It's not necessarily the highest number WoW levels can reach. Do you think it's so hard to store level numbers in more than one byte?
    actually, max level 255 is hard encoded. they would have to revamp the entire game from ground zero to get the level cap over 255.

Deleted
    in my opinion 245 is max...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we'd see a level squish before then. At that point the first 30 levels would happen from each wolf you killed in the first quest in Northshire if they wanted to keep the overall levelling time from 1 to cap roughly equal.

Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    actually, max level 255 is hard encoded. they would have to revamp the entire game from ground zero to get the level cap over 255.
    It wouldn't quite be that complicated, but it would be more complicated than just changing the memory type and would probably fuck over a bunch of existing formula that would have to be tracked down and rewritten.
    It's not quite the same as "revamping the entire game from ground zero", but it would likely take a substantial effort.

Deleted
    No.
    200 will be the final of wow levels

Deleted
    Not given WoWs current trend. Say its due to the game being worse, being old, whatever, as it looks at the moment WoW probably only has another 3 or maybe 4 expansions left in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    People said the same thing about level 99 being hard coded. I doubt if anyone here has any idea whatsoever as to whether the core leveling code is restricted to a one-byte token or otherwise. I'm not going to worry about 255. I doubt if I'll be still playing the game in another 15-30 years. If I am, I'm happy enough to let Blizzard worry about it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Hell no leveling to 90 is boring as it is.

Deleted
    254 maybe, 255 is crazy.

be lucky if they pass 150 imo i doubt there will be alot more expansions coming, it depends how many levels per expansion they go for, and how much more content they could possibly do

Maybe it would be interesting if it last that long (it would give me something to do for years to come). I been thinking about this though..... If our levels start get huge too.. will there be a Level squish, assuming there is no wow 2 before then.
    "Warriors make you sap, Paladins let you sap."