Poll: Do we need a new class/race? Why?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Do we need a new race/class?

I've never been one to roll the new class or jump right on the bandwagon. I leveled a DK in Wrath during ICC so that I could have an alchemist and they started at 55. I leveled a Monk because my guild needed one right before ToT came out. I love my monk, but not because he was new and exciting, but because it was needed. I've also never been one for alts, I generally have 1 that I play at any time, but spend most of my time on my main.

I'm seeing a lot people complaining about this new expansion because we're not getting a new race or new class. THERE ARE 108 CLASS/RACE COMBINATIONS! 5 kinds of tanks, 5 kinds of healers, 6 kinds of ranged, 7 kinds of melee. 13 classes. Do we really need another class or race to add to the options?

Is the QQ over lack of race/class simply because that's what we've gotten with every expansion? Or is there really a need for a new class?

I simply don't understand where its coming from or why its needed. I'd much rather them spend all their time on other things than trying to balance a new class which I can only imagine takes a huge chunk of R&D time.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Deleted
    nope.

ok... longer answer, we didn't really need monks, or even DKs, but they are a nice addition. i mean if you think about it, they have the same combinations as paladins and warriors, 3 way hybrid and double dps/tank. i have too many alts, but that's due to me not really liking warlocks post wrath days, and it took me ages to find my new class that i really enjoyed (turns out it was a monk, despite having a pally xD). but i really don't think we need anything new, at least not now.

most people complaining are likely doing it for the sake of it. a new class means new shit to try to balance, and a new race is either awesome, so i have to fucking race change because i like new shiny things, or crap, so i won't use it. updated models mean better stuff for my existing characters, which is the best option out of the 3 IMO.

The expansion needs *something* to be it's key feature (read as: selling point).

Is that really going to be garrisons, or a 1/2 finished model update?

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    The expansion needs *something* to be it's key feature (read as: selling point).

Is that really going to be garrisons, or a 1/2 finished model update?
    Well the model update, I'm assuming, will be finished when they roll it out. So you're of the mind that there needs to be a singular key feature like new race or new class to get people to buy it? One huge thing over many big things?
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't "need" them no. But they are definitely nice to have once in a while. I'd rather them wait and add them when they make some lore sense, instead of just sticking them in just for the sake of having them.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

New RaceS Plural.
    Twas brillig

No. Not now. Blizzard already has enough on their plate at the moment.

I think we're good. Blizzard obviously has their work cut out for them with 11 classes to balance simultaneously in both PvE and PvP as well as working on cutting down the number of buttons each class has to hit. They also do not need to work on two new starting zones for two new races that will disappear as soon as they hit level 10. Think about it... Cata and MoP races don't get to go back to their starting zones (not sure about Worgen but I heard the city was empty anyway) so... I mean it's essentially dead content. We don't need dev time wasted on dead content.

Do we need them? No.
    Do I want them? Yes.

Honestly I haven't seen anything about the new expansion that really grabs me. There's some interesting features, but nothing that has me salivating for WoD to get here immediately. If anything the whole theme of the expansion is kind of a turn off. There's still an unannounced feature and I'm hoping that it's the saving grace, I doubt it though or they would have unveiled it for Blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably after Warlords we could get some more.
    For the Horde!

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need either.

I personally don't want a new race because I can't think of anything else I want to play as. High Elves are BE with blue eyes, Orgres are hideous and stupid, ethereal don't make any sense as playable. The only thing I think would be cool would be some skins or subclasses, such as UD of other races, since they already exist in the world.

Class wise, there are some cool classes we could play. If it means waiting another year and having a dragged out beta to balance it, no thanks.

Deleted
    A new race stands for new looks, we get new character models for that purpose. Everyone will be happy about their 5 times more polygon and shiny high res textures.

No new class, they can't give one new every expansion, but in they next expanstion after WoD I would like to see it again.

Nope, I'd love ogres but I'm tried of all the joke races ruining the feel of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm always in favor of a new race to play since I'm an Altoholic

We need Subraces. For example: Wildhammer Dwarf or High-Elf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the storyline. For WoD which is about Orcs and Draenei, we already have both, so no need.
    I long for a High Elf on my alliance or to have some Blood Elfs cross the tracks again and leave the horde-- they are cool like that.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

Nope, we got the new Race models coming our way (FINALY)
    To be honest Im really annoyed at anyone who complains about WoD not having a new Class or Race.
    The new Race models has been a MUST for sometime now.

Deleted
    I think the best answer you will find to this question is as follows

EITHER --- (see I said either) Yes we do need a new race or class or mix of both to keep things fresh
    Or ---------(oh look I said or) We need fresh exciting content to keep us happy at the first expansion in wow's history without at least 1 of above

If they provide above then all or mostly all will be fine and dandy

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we need either, and at this point I don't really want either. I don't think we needed Pandaren or Monks either, but I can see how they were kind of thematic for the MoP expansion. We also probably didn't need Goblins or Worgen, but I have a soft spot for Goblins, so I'd definitely say those are/were a 'want' for me. New classes (and to a much lesser degree, races) add balancing complications of all kinds. Some classes are way more powerful than others for periods of time, and an uneven distribution of spec roles can lead to shortages of available tanks and healers, especially when the design of some of those classes or specs aren't fun or engaging for the majority of players who try them.

A new race or class doesn't need to be "the feature" for WoD. I didn't pick up my subscription again in MoP because I wanted to roll a Pandaren or Monk - though I did both things, I didn't do either until I'd been playing for a little while and ran out of Rested exp on my mains. I can't remember what the real reason was, but I'd wager it had something to do with the story and wanting to see how it progressed. Looking at WoD I can say two features that are instantly attractive to me are the garrisons and updated character models, though I also admit I like the look of the story, too. Draenor also looks like a beautiful place to explore. I'm sure for everyone it's different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    No we don't need either. If anything, we could do with another mail wearing class to even out the armor spread a bit but if it wouldn't make sense with the class, whatever it may be, then it's not even worth it.

As far as races go, well there's high elves and to an extent ogres that could fit but it's a stretch at this point.