How much power do I really need?

Looking to purchase a few upgrades, including: 4770k and GTX 770. I currently have about a 650W PSU but was looking at a 750. I know it also depends on other parts but those two take take more power.

If you have a quality 650w unit, it's already way more than enough.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Okay thanks. I'll have to check what kind I have, but that's all I needed to know! (:

I usually try to over-purchase on the PSU, since it's usually the first go-to on failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    I usually try to over-purchase on the PSU, since it's usually the first go-to on failure.
    Why does that mean you should buy higher wattage? If it's going to fail, wattage won't make a difference.

Unless your referring to the quality of the PSU than yes, you should spend a bit more to get at least a 80+ bronze PSU that doesn't suck(ie, TR2 series, CX series).
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-11-22 at 07:49 PM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I have a 4570k and a gtx 760 and I was losing power on 600watt but I'm now fine on 675watt. I can't say for sure whether the 600watt was faulty or not as it's no longer in my possession.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post
    I have a 4570k and a gtx 760 and I was losing power on 600watt but I'm now fine on 675watt. I can't say for sure whether the 600watt was faulty or not as it's no longer in my possession.
    Likely a faulty/cheap PSU as a full system with a 4670k(hope thats what you meant) and a GTX 760 will pull about ~370W under load, the GPU getting a maximum of ~160W or so when stress testing.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Unless your referring to the quality of the PSU than yes, you should spend a bit more to get at least a 80+ bronze PSU that doesn't suck(ie, TR2 series, CX series).
    Yes, I was referring to quality.

Thread moved to subforum

I run a 4770K overclocked and a GTX 680 (identical to 770 except uses more power) heavily overclocked, and I've noticed an absolute peak just shy of 400w from the wall, during max-out-loud.
    Which meant that the build internall used 320w, meaning I'd have 330w (note that PSUs are rated internally, and the "efficiancy grade" is how much power it needs to convert to its internal power) spare if I had a 650w PSU, which I incidentally do.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I run a 4770K overclocked and a GTX 680 (identical to 770 except uses more power) heavily overclocked, and I've noticed an absolute peak just shy of 400w from the wall, during max-out-loud.
    Which meant that the build internall used 320w, meaning I'd have 330w (note that PSUs are rated internally, and the "efficiancy grade" is how much power it needs to convert to its internal power) spare if I had a 650w PSU, which I incidentally do.
    Perfect! I'll stick with what I have. Thank you all for the help! (: