Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for new graphics card (Help!)

Okay so here it is i am on the market for a new card, I currently have a gtx 650 1gb not to be confused with the 650ti and I was wondering which card I should upgrade to.. I have a 300-350 budget

*My Hardware*
    Core i5 4670k
    Maximus VI Hero
    550pw
    16gb hyper x black
    2x 240 samsung evo ssd
    1x 1tb cuda

I run a 3 screen eyfinity most games i play are WoW BF4 Crysis 3 Skyrim would deffinatly like to achieve a higher frame rate aswell as max setting or close

$330+ Gtx 770 2gb Rather expensive but doable
    $309 --- gtx 760 superclocked 4gb i heard somewhere on the vine the 4gb is not that great compared to the 2gb 760 confirm/deny

any other suggestion will be considered as well

1) 2GiB 760 and 4GiB would have same performance. More memory for that specific card is a waste of money.
    2) AMD Radeon R9 280X compared to the GTX 770 would not only be superior in single monitor configuration, AMD is also much more mature in multi-monitor environments, plus the higher memory bus (384 vs 256) and larger memory amount would supplement that further. They are also cheaper than GTX 770. It will also give you Mantle, which will be a serious deal in the future, by all accounts.

Thread moved to sub-forum.

It's true that AMD handles multiple display better, but also WoW is not AMD friendly...Your gonna lose a nice amount of FPS it being AMD.

And it just so happens i got a GTX 770 right now in my build and i have everything maxed out and run at 150-280FPS in raids and 60-110fps when it's getting punished. And i could still OC it another 15% if i wanted too.

BF4, Crysis 3 and Skyrim all favor AMD over Nvidia.

Games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty favor Nvidia.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in much the same boat. I primarly play WoW, in a dual screen (perhaps upgrading to three soon) configuration. I'd like to play BF4, CoD:Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4.

i7 870 3.0ghz
    Radeon 5750
    8gb RAM

I'm currently looking at the price/performance ratios of the GTX 770 and R9 280x. I'm also considering the existing bundles for these cards, some R9s come with BF4, most 770s come with AC4.

I'm currently leaning slightly towards a R9 280x bundle that comes with BF4 for $309, however I'm looking for more opinions since its been awhile since I upgraded my PC and I haven't kept up.

Driver stability of the current generation of Nvidia and AMD?
    Brand quality of hardware between various distributors?
    relative "future proof"-ness?

Quote Originally Posted by Rye25 View Post
    It's true that AMD handles multiple display better, but also WoW is not AMD friendly...Your gonna lose a nice amount of FPS it being AMD.

And it just so happens i got a GTX 770 right now in my build and i have everything maxed out and run at 150-280FPS in raids and 60-110fps when it's getting punished. And i could still OC it another 15% if i wanted too.
    1) WoW, even at those high resolutions, will be held back by the processor in raids past a certain breakpoint in GPU-power. R9 280X is beyond that

2) I have a 4770K at 4.4 GHz and a GTX 680 (which essentially is a 770) and I say that you are bullshitting. You do not have 150 fps in raids with everything maxed out, at least not in 1080p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joegeneric View Post
    Driver stability of the current generation of Nvidia and AMD?
    Brand quality of hardware between various distributors?
    relative "future proof"-ness?
    1) In difference to the past, nVidia has had worse driver stability than AMD since the HD 7900-series and GTX 600-series launched
    2) Doesn't matter if you're going with a non-reference cooler, which is also recommended.
    3) Eugh, I hate that word. I don't have a crystal ball. I would want to say AMD here though, on account of Mantle. Even if you shave off "sales-person enthusiasm", it really does look rather amazing for GPU horsepower to come.

Thanks for the imput the R9 280x is a nice card I think it will work out nicley in my build

- - - Updated - - -

oh one more question i kinda did some digging around and was wondering if my current 550w power supply would be enough can't rember which brand off hand

they say recommended 750w for one card seems outrageous
    Last edited by legomyeggo; 2013-11-25 at 03:34 PM.

A proper PSU, 550 is still more than it needs. If it's a good one, it'll suffice

[QUOTE=tetrisGOAT;23879310]1) WoW, even at those high resolutions, will be held back by the processor in raids past a certain breakpoint in GPU-power. R9 280X is beyond that

2) I have a 4770K at 4.4 GHz and a GTX 680 (which essentially is a 770) and I say that you are bullshitting. You do not have 150 fps in raids with everything maxed out, at least not in 1080p

- - - Updated - - -

Why would i come on here and post a bunch of bullshit numbers and lie to some complete stranger like yourself?

And i am playing at 1920X1080...Everything on Ultra...When i zone into raids am any where between 110fps and 280fps...when zoning into scenarios its basically the samething..When am sitting in a city like Org am at 60-70fps...If your getting much less then that then i dont know what to tell you, you must not have it as streamlined as mine or have something thats off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play at 1080p like yourself and maxed I don't see higher than 40-50 fps in 25m raids, 110-280 fps sounds unrealistic unless you play at lowest settings.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I play at 1080p like yourself and maxed I don't see higher than 40-50 fps in 25m raids, 110-280 fps sounds unrealistic unless you play at lowest settings.
    Then your Monitor must be bottle necking your FPS....Do you got a monitor that's set to 120mz?

The only time am ever at 40-50fps is on World bosses or certain 25mans with a ton of spells and animations happening.... But most of the time am well over 100fps...And running Scenarios with 3 people ive seen just short of 300fps.

Theres no way in hell with a 780 card you should be at 40-50 struggling like that...You have something thats off.

15+ Year Old Account

And i am playing at 1920X1080...Everything on Ultra...When i zone into raids am any where between 110fps and 280fps...when zoning into scenarios its basically the samething..When am sitting in a city like Org am at 60-70fps...If your getting much less then that then i dont know what to tell you, you must not have it as streamlined as mine or have something thats off.
    This is blatantly false. No computer can do that on full ultra in wow right now. Absolutely impossible to get a constant 60 fps plus in 25m raiding on 1080p, and I'm talking during boss fights. It's just impossible.

Why would i come on here and post a bunch of bullshit numbers and lie to some complete stranger like yourself?
    No one cares why. You're still flagrantly lying or seriously confused.

Etc.
    What. Okay. You know what, some of those words start making sense, and then you flat out break it.

Vsync is the only reason his framerate should ever have anything to do with his monitor's refresh-rate. 40-50 FPS makes it fairly apparent that vsync is not what's capping him. And then you go on and make it obvious you realize WoW's frame has jack shit to do with your monitor, because you sure as heck don't have a 300 Hz monitor. That's just not happening.

Again, I don't know why you're spouting all this. But your statements are flat out incorrect and more than mildly biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    And i am playing at 1920X1080...Everything on Ultra...When i zone into raids am any where between 110fps and 280fps
    Zoning in? So basically you have high FPS when absolutely nothing is going on. That's like saying my bike can go 200mph... when you drop it out of a plane.

People usually are looking for actual -in combat- raid situations. You have a nice setup, however you probably get about ~45-55 fps in an actual LFR/25 situation in combat with lots of stuff going on. That's the actual place people want performance boosts.

My system isn't quite as good as yours, and I could boast that I get "500fps" in wow.... if I do the right things.

Also, it IS true that nvidia cards tend to handle WoW better, it isn't a HUGE difference, and I think the better multi-screen capability of an AMD card would outweigh the marginal performance difference of an nvidia card.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Pick up 2x7970 cards and crossfire them. Tiger direct, NCIX and a few other companies are gonna be selling them for around $230 mark. I use 2xMSI R7970 reference cards and i can max out anything easily
    Does Warlock Stuffz

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Zoning in? So basically you have high FPS when absolutely nothing is going on. That's like saying my bike can go 200mph... when you drop it out of a plane.

People usually are looking for actual -in combat- raid situations. You have a nice setup, however you probably get about ~45-55 fps in an actual LFR/25 situation in combat with lots of stuff going on. That's the actual place people want performance boosts.

My system isn't quite as good as yours, and I could boast that I get "500fps" in wow.... if I do the right things.

Also, it IS true that nvidia cards tend to handle WoW better, it isn't a HUGE difference, and I think the better multi-screen capability of an AMD card would outweigh the marginal performance difference of an nvidia card.
    Am being 100% truthful...Am not some random idiot lieing for no reason.... When i raided on Tuesday, we were doing (Heroic) Sha of Pride 10M and that whole fight i was averaging about 110fps...The only time i get down too 40-60FPS is in 25M with heavy animations...With basic normal load i stay around a 90-150fps

10+ Year Old Account
    10M and that whole fight i was averaging about 110fps...The only time i get down too 40-60FPS is in 25M with heavy animations
    Yeah... see.. There's a huge difference between 10m and 25m. I haven't personally done 10m in a while, but I would expect it to be about double what someone would get in 25/LFR. A LOT of people do LFR, and 25m is sort of the 'benchmark' used. Again, that's why people kind of get in a tizzy when someone says "I get 100fps in raids on ultra" because they assume you mean 25m, which you don't. And even if you someone does get 60-70fps in 25m, it's not -stable-. It still dips into the 40s usually.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yeah... see.. There's a huge difference between 10m and 25m. I haven't personally done 10m in a while, but I would expect it to be about double what someone would get in 25/LFR. A LOT of people do LFR, and 25m is sort of the 'benchmark' used. Again, that's why people kind of get in a tizzy when someone says "I get 100fps in raids on ultra" because they assume you mean 25m, which you don't. And even if you someone does get 60-70fps in 25m, it's not -stable-. It still dips into the 40s usually.
    Yes i wasn't completely detailed....Max settings on 1920x1080..In 25mans i hover between 30 too 90FPS just depends whats happening...To average it out 50-65FPS is what am usually dancing around.

Deleted
    Then your Monitor must be bottle necking your FPS....Do you got a monitor that's set to 120mz?
    I don't even know what to say, been a long time since I've read anything as weird as this. The monitor has nothing to do with this and it's certainly not a bottleneck.

I wonder this too, maybe same reason you post misleading, incorrect or blatantly ignorant stuff in most of the other threads you post in.

This is simply wrong as it is not possible in 25M raiding. You're either lying to justify your setup and backup your claims or you're doing something wrong and/or confused about something like your settings, when or how to check the FPS etc. When knowledgeable people say something else and proves you wrong time and again have you considered there is a chance you're wrong?

Your gonna lose a nice amount of FPS it being AMD.
    You're not going to lose "a nice amount of FPS" by using an AMD card like the R9 280X, actually it would be nice if you stopped going around different threads posting this crap. I've proved to you you're wrong in a different thread, maybe if you actually read the conclusions you would stop doing this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GTX 770 and you don't have to justify your purchase, the only one it matters to is yourself.

Am being 100% truthful...Am not some random idiot lieing for no reason
    You may be truthful and not lying and I'm sure you're no idiot. Your intentions in all these different threads might also be good but you're basing your advice on numbers that are wrong or information that is blatantly false. If you insist on giving a lot of advice maybe read up on the subjects, follow other threads etc. I don't personally care if you're right or wrong but when you're giving advice to people looking to purchase stuff and they might end up spending more than they needed or getting the wrong thing then there is a problem.

I'm obviously not a forum moderator, I don't set the rules and I'm not perfect either. I can't tell you what to do but I will share my opinion regardless.

Edit:

Yes i wasn't completely detailed....Max settings on 1920x1080..In 25mans i hover between 30 too 90FPS just depends whats happening...To average it out 50-65FPS is what am usually dancing around.
    Okay that makes more sense, thanks or clarifying. Maybe next time include more details.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-11-26 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I don't even know what to say, been a long time since I've read anything as weird as this. The monitor has nothing to do with this and it's certainly not a bottleneck.

I wonder this too, maybe same reason you post misleading, incorrect or blatantly ignorant stuff in most of the other threads you post in.

This is simply wrong as it is not possible in 25M raiding. You're either lying to justify your setup and backup your claims or you're doing something wrong and/or confused about something like your settings, when or how to check the FPS etc. When knowledgeable people say something else and proves you wrong time and again have you considered there is a chance you're wrong?

You're not going to lose "a nice amount of FPS" by using an AMD card like the R9 280X, actually it would be nice if you stopped going around different threads posting this crap. I've proved to you you're wrong in a different thread, maybe if you actually read the conclusions you would stop doing this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GTX 770 and you don't have to justify your purchase, the only one it matters to is yourself.

You may be truthful and not lying and I'm sure you're no idiot. Your intentions in all these different threads might also be good but you're basing your advice on numbers that are wrong or information that is blatantly false. If you insist on giving a lot of advice maybe read up on the subjects, follow other threads etc. I don't personally care if you're right or wrong but when you're giving advice to people looking to purchase stuff and they might end up spending more than they needed or getting the wrong thing then there is a problem.

I'm obviously not a forum moderator, I don't set the rules and I'm not perfect either. I can't tell you what to do but I will share my opinion regardless.

Edit:

Okay that makes more sense, thanks or clarifying. Maybe next time include more details.
    LOL....Man go troll someone else, all you do is follow me around taking the opposite end on everything i say. There's nothing to be confused or whatever else your trying to say about it..When am raiding i check my FPS quite regularly...It's as simple as reading the number that it says...Would also be nice if you stopped going around to my posts posting your crap as well.

My FPS varies greatly on what instance am in, the people there, and animations like anyone else.
    In 10Mans with light fighting am always in the 100s if you don't believe that go do your homework..There's a few sites that have the 770 at 115-135fps.
    And monitors do actually effect your FPS, when i first loaded WoW it was set at 60mz..Right when i turned it too 120mz it was a very noticeable jump. It's safety options to avoid screen tearing.

If your still sitting there acting like you know everything there is know, i would gladly take some pictures of my screen in 25mans or 10mans that have my FPS up so you can know with 100% certainty that you were wrong

Edit

Next time don't put post your shit till you read it all the way threw.
    Last edited by Rye25; 2013-11-26 at 03:20 AM.