Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Raiding makes healing boring?

Okay - so here's something that bothers me and would like to know if other fellow players feel like me.

I love leveling healers.
    I'm currently going through my second resto druid who is my 5th healer.

I love to get into dungeons and feel like I'm supporting the group.
    I love being able to get my group out of a bad pull, or patrol agro and change the course of events.
    I love being the one the tank checks with when he wants to rush and keep me on my toes.
    It feels great being able to alternate CC and heals to control the outcome of a fight.

And then, I hit 90.
    Whether it's LFR, Normal raiding or even Flex now; it's the same.
    Complete different gameplay.
    I feel so fucking anonymous, even when topping meters.
    When a boss dies, I cannot relate I was a significant part of the successful outcome.
    What was dynamic and felt heroic became a game of optimized-UI whack-a-mole and building the ability do not tunnel too much so I can get out of the fire in time.

I don't feel like the gameplay changes so drastically when assuming a tanking role or DPS role.
    It's really disappointing that raid healing (90% of your progression gameplay time after you hit max level) is such a complete different experience than leveling.
    It almost makes leveling useless, at least meaningless.
    I don't know why Blizzard, who pride themselves for being the kings of gameplay, accept or promote this.

Anyone else feels like me?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel so fucking anonymous, even when topping meters.
    Probably because you're used to being the only lifeline in a group up until this point.

When a boss dies, I cannot relate I was a significant part of the successful outcome.
    This is probably due to the fact that you aren't focusing on the boss, but rather the players, which is normal. You don't do any of the killing; you were only there for support.

What was dynamic and felt heroic became a game of optimized-UI whack-a-mole and building the ability do not tunnel too much so I can get out of the fire in time.
    Such is the fate of having roles within roles (healers having different roles). You're dedicated to one thing so it makes it seem much more simplified.

I still miss the challenge from leveling a healer through dungeons (without BoAs). Having a group come so close to wiping, but somehow you managed to barely save them. Everyone seems to hate those groups, but man were they fun for me. I don't want boring, I want challenging.

Healing in raids is probably the least challenging thing in this game.

Firstly, I do think healers have the most boring job in raids. Secondly, healing is only interesting on difficult content. LFR, normal and flex are all piss easy. The harder the content the more you need to think about pre-healing, CD usage etc, making it more interesting. Basically what I'm saying is, do content appropriate for your skill level, if you are in a mediocre guild killing norushen for the first time it can feel pretty hectic, same with thok. Go heal heroic dark shaman, or iron Jugg if you want more interesting.

Also, I don't really feel like leveling and Raid is that different, in dungeons you are just overpowered because low level spells are scaled way way too high

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post

Healing in raids is probably the least challenging thing in this game.
    I'd say dpsing in raids is the least challenging thing in this game.

I'm sorry to say, but if you find healing boring in raid, cut down healers.

I've done all the roles in raids, and I can honestly say healing is the one that is the most challenging and exhausting.. if you are not focused, people die.. and you have to use your brain instead of watching addons.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2013-11-25 at 06:11 AM.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

I have always been tank/dps and tried out healing on my pally in a raid once and it wasn't boring to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfox View Post
    Firstly, I do think healers have the most boring job in raids.
    I think it's the most fun role in a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    I've done all the roles in raids, and I can honestly say healing is the one that is the most challenging and exhausting.. if you are not focused, people die.. and you have to use your brain instead of watching addons.
    Matter of opinion. I find healing to be the least challenging, because that is what comes natural to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    try pvping as a healer. especially 10 man battlegrounds. especially especially arenas.

Get good and heal Heroic modes. I always thought PvE healing was boring until I did WoTLK 25 man heroics. Best feeling in the world is to top healing meters and down Heroic Bosses.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Solo heal heroic norushen. That'll probably make you happy.

Healing is where its most fun to me... or it was up until cataclysm when I was forced to DPS.. came back to MoP and while healing was still ok, it was shit due to all the smart heals.
    Remove those please or tune them so they're not that strong. :/

Yeah if healing is boring just cut down on healers... That's what I always did in my guild. My best friend is an amazing priest healer so if he ever said he was getting bored I knew it was because we had one too many healers and trimmed them down until he told me he needed a little extra help.

Also: Yeah you are no longer the sole reason that people are alive... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't feel any less epic. You and your fellow healers are a specialized squad keeping the rest of the people alive. The healers need to have the best synergy than any other roles. Tanks and dps don't need to have a sixth sense about what the rest of the group is doing. Tanks move the boss and dps follow like sheep and avoid bad stuff. Raid lead says "Kill that thing" dps jump on it. The only thing that really has some synergy in it is maybe if you have multiple warriors and it feels epic getting that extra uptime on crit banner... Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Solo heal heroic norushen. That'll probably make you happy.
    My guild's last resto druid loved solo healing heroic bosses and normal Paragons. We'd have a resto shaman in the raid just for his mana totem xD And I remember when something would get dicey he'd yell for him to drop his healing totem and then like 4 seconds in yell for him to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2013-11-25 at 08:26 AM.

Deleted
    yea, LFR doesn't really have much to do with actual "raid healing". everyone is usually either afk or spamming their group heals like crazy. there's no challenge to it. if you're a new player, even doing normals would probably be a good enough challenge for you. and then once you get used to that, try heroics.
    think of LFR more as a way to get free gear and see big numbers in your damage/heal meters.

You sound like an excellent healer. Try doing more difficult content!

Tbh I was the same back in early Wrath with my resto druid in 10 mans, being the group lifeline and all. To a certain extent 10 mans are still like that, especially if your group isn't amazing, multiple people getting bursted at the same time.

Deleted
    Really depends on the content you're doing, I know our healers really work for it on a lot of our first kills when people aren't 100% used to mechanics, take extra damage, aren't out of the fire quick enough etc. Drop a healer if you aren't being challenged.

DPSing is juggling.
    Healing is reaction.

DPSing is harder than Healing, in raids - even in cutting-edge content, to me.
    (DPSing well, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    I think it's the most fun role in a raid.

Matter of opinion. I find healing to be the least challenging, because that is what comes natural to me.
    As someone who's done all roles in difficult content, Healing is the easiest to do well with. Yes, even over tanking.

I disagree.

DPS is the easiest place to get carried, but pulling 100% as a DPS whilst not standing in fire is demanding at all points. Healing, you don't even need to always cast to keep the raid alive, if you want to chuck out some dps to help out it's still not that demanding because you have like 2 spells as most healers.

What this turned into a heaving vs dps thread. Alright Ill join in. With warlock experience from Classic to now and healing experience from late WotLK to now I place healing harder at least for the mentality and reaction to human errors. Healing can be boring when you have a surplus of healing while really fun on heroics. DPS just kind of have it mostly the same with more pew pew while as a healer I might have to do some game like try to finish a fight with as much mana as possible while doing well or even topping the meters or over heal all over the place while ending the fight just out of mana.

To each their own, but healers do have an issue of feeling a bit useless that other rolls dont really have to deal with when players get more gear or better. Tanks used to have to deal with increased gear giving them resource generation issues resulting in threat generation issues and that has been resolved. I do hate playing my healers in trivial dungeon content that doesnt need healers including MoP launch heroics which can be healed by a monk tank in leveling gear along with a group in leveling gear.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-11-25 at 10:28 AM.

I think it's pretty much you whos causing this feeling, it's not coming from the gameplay (or so I suspect)..
    When I have to go resto I feel alot more pressure on me than when I'm dpsing, and when a new kill is gained we feel like we've contributed alot.. alot of our progression depends on how well the healers perform, we tweak it all the time, help one another improve etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure when the change for me happened, I fucking loved healing in TBC, in our raids we were set healing roles, I was told my job was to heal the tanks, and thats what I did, and I did it bloody well. WotLK came around and I'd rerolled DPS, did naxx to death and then stopped raiding for most of the expac, didn't really raid heal again until LFR at the end of cata, and suddenly everyone laughs at me when i ask about healing roles, seems they're not used any more =/

Ever since I've struggled a bit to deal with healing in raids, I mostly just do LFR, and it basically seems a snipe fest to see who can top the healing meters, rather than any concerted effort to do your job well... I like to think its like I used to do it in TBC days in heroic raids, but I'd not be surprised if it was still a clusterfuck =p

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    DPSing is juggling.
    Healing is reaction.

DPSing is harder than Healing, in raids - even in cutting-edge content, to me.
    (DPSing well, anyway)

As someone who's done all roles in difficult content, Healing is the easiest to do well with. Yes, even over tanking.
    I still think it's a matter of opinion. People have different strengths and weaknesess. I know a lot of people who has tried different roles. Heck, even did so myself some years ago when I was playing seriously. Everyone has a different opinion on the matter. I find healing to be the easiest aswell, but I am pretty confident it has to do with me prefering the role.

And yeah, I share your opinion on the DPS part. That's probably the most challenging role for me aswell. I love to be challenged, but I don't find dps'ing or tanking entertaining anymore, and prefer getting that challenge solely through healing because I enjoy it.