Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Cataclysm was the peak ?! Ok, now I'm sure that graph is 100% pure manure.

On topic. The game is fucking ancient, man. There is only so much you can drag it on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Cool. Quoted right out of unsourced "WoW is dying" thread over there. Hilarity ensues.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Cool. Quoted right out of unsourced "WoW is dying" thread over there. Hilarity ensues.
    Nothless the number in said graph match the quarterly reports

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    9 years ...not 7 years
    The mid 2006 subs were less than now, that's why I said ... 7 years.

But the big laugh is that all these dozens of WoW killers passed the review since then and all went free to play with ... ZERO subs...

The copy cats even ran out of Lore subjects...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    looks like the natural state of progression for a product.
    That's really not the natural state of progression for a product though. Good successful products see steady growth year after year after year. When growth stops, it's because the company failed somewhere along the line, be that in product development, advertising or whatever.

Why? because the population continually grows. Look at demand for automobiles, it has steadily increased every single year since it was invented nearly 100 years ago. So if you have a product and demand for your product is decreasing year after year, then you aren't advancing your product to compete with other variations and you aren't selling people on your product. I hate to break it to Blizzard but "hey, I'm X retarded celebrity and I'm an orc shaman, what's your game?!" is not a good marketing strategy. Additionally, $15 a month is an aging outdated fee structure for gaming, especially given their extremely slow and lackluster content release cycle. if you want to do something outside the current norm, eg charge a $15 monthly fee, you have to compete even harder to prove to people that they need to choose you over cheaper competition. Sad to say they haven't done that convincingly at all.
    Last edited by Beat5beat; 2013-11-25 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    also found the original

http://kalganism.blogdrive.com/

Nothless the number in said graph match the quarterly reports
    Seriously Hate you all.

This one you can't win as WoW talks subscriptions while the rest talks imaginary account figures.

Going free to play is leaving the field/competition.

The difference is around 1 billion dollars per year, give or take a few million.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's perfectly normal. Games grow, peak, and decline. WoW will never attain it's 12 million subs again, of that I'm certain. Well, unless the monthly fee was reduced or removed entirely, then we might get back where we were. Come WoD, we will see a small peak in subs, but that too will decline.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-11-25 at 09:28 AM.

Every asshole likes to play his games on his iphones and shit. LoL is raising, free to play, easy to play. Low time investment. And you are asking why a time eating game doesnt have a lot of grow? HAHAHAHHA. You are a ignorant person. And change your retarded signature. You have to argument with your own words. Yet you just copy/pasted everything. But hey, you will learn. You are only 32..And cynical...Oh god, your opinion is so worthless.

And btw. do you guys noticed 1x Million other gamer once? I didnt.

Oh, yeah: My favorite quote:
    5 Million Subscriper: DEAD ACCOUNTS.
    6 Million Subspriber: DEAD ACCOUNTS, BOTS
    7 Million Subscriber: DEAD ACCOUNTS, BOTS CHINA FARMER
    8 Million Subscriber: DEAD ACCOUNTS BOTS CHINA FARMER BLALABLAL FAKE NUMBERS
    9 Million Subscriber: DEAD ACCOUNTS BOTS BLALAINA FARMER BLALABLAL
    10...BLALAL
    11.-BLALALALA
    11.5......BLLALALA
    10 Milloner Subscriber:OH MY GOD, WHERE ARE OUR SUBSCRIBER?!??
    Last edited by Henno; 2013-11-25 at 09:36 AM.

I think as a player I should give a shit since development, content, game design and game experience are all effected by the amount of subs.
    The game is profitable at mop level of development at roughly 600,000 subs. We have roughly 12 times that numbers.

Take the lord of the rings.

Considered to be one of the biggest and most ambitious film projects ever undertaken, with an overall budget of $281 million, the entire project took eight years. It had a world wide box office of $2,917,506,956 ... How much the studio makes off that is not a set number movie theaters take a chunk off the top.

So a 3 billion dollar ip,right? Great investment, yes?

Well. As of now if wow had an average of 2,000,000 subs paying western rates you would have an ip worth 3,240,000,000 or an annual revenue stream of 360,000,000. But we know that is a low ball number, and it is more likely to twice or three times that number. Also note that nearly any really big investments in buying new server hardware can be used to run newer games as well.

That all aside you do know that one day wow will end,yes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henno View Post
    Every asshole likes to play his games on his iphones and shit. LoL is raising, free to play, easy to play. Low time investment. And you are asking why a time eating game doesnt have a lot of grow? HAHAHAHHA. You are a ignorant person. And change your retarded signature. You have to argument with your own words. Yet you just copy/pasted everything. But hey, you will learn. You are only 32..And cynical...Oh god, your opinion is so worthless.

And btw. do you guys noticed 1x Million other gamer once? I didnt.
    I really do not understand why you are so mad, Seriously you send me two private messages to cuss me out than try to flame me here. I mean if you do not like my opinion Cool but there is no reason to act like I did something personally to attack you. I am sure you will get a nice vacation from these forums to cool down but honestly there is CONSTRUCTIVE ways to disagree with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    That's really not the natural state of progression for a product though. Good successful products see steady growth year after year after year.
    No, they don't. Do people still buy Pentium 2 processors? Do they buy the original iPhone?

Products have a life cycle, the better the product, the higher the chance of it's live being longer. However, there are many factors that can impact that.

Having an amazing product on the market with nothing to challenge it is one thing, having an amazing product with 3 other products that are just as good or slightly worse but cheaper changes that drastically.

You can improve a product over time, but so can other vendors in the same market, and if they add a lower price tag, it becomes even more challenging to sell.

Lat year, Diablo 3 was the game that cost Blizzard most subscribers. That's not even a MMO, yet it had a big impact on WoW.

So if a non MMO can have impact on WoW, then of course a ton of free to play MMO's, and other games like Dota 2 and LoL can have also an impact.

How many free to play MMO's or other games were out back in TBC and WoTLK? Most MMO's that tried to challenge WoW are now free to play. We even have AAA MMO's that are designed right from the start to be F2P, like Guilds Wars 2. In this market, why would a gamer, who is looking to play a MMO or other online game go try WoW first when there are a ton of other free games that he can try out, and if he likes it stick to them, or move on to something else.

Also, WoW is 9 years old now, it's graphics are aging (which we can see when we compare new and old character models), the combat system wasn't drastically changed over time while other MMO's starter adapting more action based combat, the questing system is roughly the same, while other games moved to more dynamic leveling systems. Also, while a lot has changed over the course of 9 years, in many aspects it's the same game, and people just like new and fresh things.

While I do not doubt that the development of WoW had a major impact on it's current subscriber base, I would say that the games age, and the change is the current game market had more of an impact.

I really do not understand why you are so mad, Seriously you send me two private messages to cuss me out than try to flame me here. I mean if you do not like my opinion Cool but there is no reason to act like I did something personally to attack you. I am sure you will get a nice vacation from these forums to cool down but honestly there is CONSTRUCTIVE ways to disagree with someone.
    I like how you act all innocent and try to play it off like you want subs to increase. I have followed your doom and gloom threads for a while. I remember how you single handily kept the "3rd Quarter Subscribers" thread active, that must have been disappointing when subs didn't drop as much as you wanted to huh? I also remember when you posted that "WoW revenue lost" thread and several others.

Let us not act like a victim. You are here to preach doom and gloom and have an obvious agenda. If you think people are ignorant of the fact, you might be naive. But as always, it is fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sidenorna View Post
    The game is profitable at mop level of development at roughly 600,000 subs. We have roughly 12 times that numbers.

Take the lord of the rings.

Considered to be one of the biggest and most ambitious film projects ever undertaken, with an overall budget of $281 million, the entire project took eight years. It had a world wide box office of $2,917,506,956 ... How much the studio makes off that is not a set number movie theaters take a chunk off the top.

So a 3 billion dollar ip,right? Great investment, yes?

Well. As of now if wow had an average of 2,000,000 subs paying western rates you would have an ip worth 3,240,000,000 or an annual revenue stream of 360,000,000. But we know that is a low ball number, and it is more likely to twice or three times that number. Also note that nearly any really big investments in buying new server hardware can be used to run newer games as well.

That all aside you do know that one day wow will end,yes?
    Just as a reminder: 2012 WoW revenue was way above 1 billion dollars.
    2013 will be under that point, but it didn't have a new expansion and obvious new box sales.
    2014 with a new expansion will certainly see a rise again, probably around 1 billion dollars again or just under it.

Only 2 new games reached this revenue point: GTA 5 and the newest COD, but WoW does this on a yearly basis since 2006 ...

All the rest of the MMO's are way under 50 million dollars revenue with a close call to EvE who hover around 45 million yearly dollars for years now.

Go figure ....

10+ Year Old Account
    I seen this

Turns out the numbers are right. We now have the same amount of players as Classic
    I will try and explain my position quite basically

10 INPUT 'What is the current number of WOW Subs", S$
    20 INPUT 'Am I still having fun playing WOW', A$
    30 IF A$ = "Y" or A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 60
    40 PRINT 'I'm Sorry you aren't enjoying WOW any longer, have you tried Xbox'?
    50 END
    60 PRINT 'Have a nice day playing WOW'
    70 END

You will note that no where does the number of Wow subs compute into how much fun I'm having... Does the number of subs affect the amount of fun you are having?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    I like how you act all innocent and try to play it off like you want subs to increase. I have followed your doom and gloom threads for a while. I remember how you single handily kept the "3rd Quarter Subscribers" thread active, that must have been disappointing when subs didn't drop as much as you wanted to huh? I also remember when you posted that "WoW revenue lost" thread and several others.

Let us not act like a victim. You are here to preach doom and gloom and have an obvious agenda. If you think people are ignorant of the fact, you might be naive. But as always, it is fun to watch.

Well simply put it is not playing naive, he sent me two messages Flaming away, That shit is not needed one can debate their point with out calling people and thier mother names. I really hope subs do go back up but will that happen? most likely only for a short period. Wow has been loosing revenue but it is still profitable, The 3rd Quarter Subscribers were a lost and guess what no content till WOD will be a bigger lost but hey guess I see shit for how it really is.

Wow has been loosing revenue but it is still profitable
    Off course it is, the most popular MMOs after WoW make about 10% of what WoW makes. No MMO is in the same league. And that is during their peak and they are dropping fast.

And no I don't believe you want subs to increase based on your constant doom and gloom threads. You would have jumped for joy if it was a lot of subs lost last quarter.

Deleted
    If subs were at an all time high last expansion, they why is the sudden loss of subscribers simply because the game is old? Did it suddenly get that much older in the last 3 years?

I like how the graph says this is not normal.

Because it's so different from all the other 7m+ sub MMOs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    If subs were at an all time high last expansion, they why is the sudden loss of subscribers simply because the game is old? Did it suddenly get that much older in the last 3 years?
    Doesn't look sudden to me.
    Over time, people join, and people quit. Those that quit are not very likely to come back. Considering even during wrath more players had quit WoW than were currently playing it, that's a LOT of people over time that have tried and stopped playing WoW.

Basically, it's not really something that's fixable, and there are so many reasons for people quitting over time it's not worth us trying to pinpoint it.
    Last edited by TyrantWave; 2013-11-25 at 09:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Cataclysm was the peak ?! Ok, now I'm sure that graph is 100% pure manure.

On topic. The game is fucking ancient, man. There is only so much you can drag it on.
    The peak was at the launch of Cataclysm. Every expansion release sees an increase in subscribers. It wasn't long though before the amount of subscribers started to drop because of the disaster that was Cataclysm. It caused a drop of nearly 2.5 million subscribers. That had nothing to do with it being an old game. Nor does the current amount of subscribers. Blizzard is changing the game so much, veteran players don't find it appealing anymore. That's why subscribtion levels are down, not because of old age, but because Blizzard insits on dumbing the game down.

I'm positive that, had they continued on the path set by Wrath of the Lich King, subscription levels would still be above the 10 million.
    Statix will suffice.