Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Suggestion: Hard Mode (Siege Perilous type) WoW server(s)

Tom Chilton aka Kalgan, used to work over at Ultima Online before coming over to Blizzard, so I am guessing the "Siege Perilous" won't be quite lost on Blizzard.

Siege Perilous was the name of one of the PvP UO servers where extra difficult rules, different than all other servers, applied.

A Siege Perilous type server in WoW would be PvP only, and it would come with many of the changes that made WoW easier disabled:

*No LFR.
    *Flying restricted (either no flying at all, or only 60% speed flying mounts and/or Fast Flying Skill outrageously expensive, say 1 million gold. In this way, Blizzard could still sell pixels for real money and the addicted would still get their beautiful pixels to admire as part of their collection).
    *Emphasis on 25 man raiding.
    *No catching up gear (i.e. no welfare epics).
    *Epic gear only comes through raids or Arena or extremely rare random world drops.
    *Reduced spawning of resources compared to live servers (less veins, herbs, fish schools, etc)
    *Less guards
    *No flying account-wide for the Siege Perilous server until one toon reaches max allowable level.
    *Professions give access to green/blue gear only (epics through raid patterns only and BoP. No AH selling epics).
    *Attunements for every raid.
    *Essential rep grinds for progression.
    *Each max level raid requires a key to enter.
    *Levelling through battlegrounds disabled.
    *Auto teleporting via LFG disabled.
    *No heirlooms.
    *No RAF power levelling. You have to sweat and bleed to reach max level.
    *Players may not transfer gold, items or toons to Siege Perilous server. Everyone starts from scratch like in the ol' days.

Let kiddies have their ez-mode servers to play with their pandas and pokemon, and make one really hard server for the veteran players.

EDIT: Let said server be named "Warcraft Legends"
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-11-25 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Let kiddies have their ez-mode servers to play with their pandas and pokemon, and make one really hard server for the veteran players.
    I was almost prepared to take you at least semi-seriously until you said this.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played on Siege Perilous on UO. It was literally just a matter of knowing people.

Nothing hard about it. If you knew people you had it easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I really see here is just ways to extend the grind. Nothing about it is more difficult in terms of mechanics, tighter enrage timers, or gear levels being reduced. Just more ways to make the game as inconvenient as possible. That's not difficulty, that's just straight-up annoyances.

I've said it a million times: LFR HAS NO EFFECT ON YOU IF YOU DON'T USE IT. None. 0. Zilch. Forget about it and stop worrying about what other people are doing.

This would probably get pretty boring pretty quickly.

I am quite for this server.

Let the people like OP congregate in one place and no one will have to deal with them ever again. A win/win if I ever saw one.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    All I really see here is just ways to extend the grind. Nothing about it is more difficult in terms of mechanics, tighter enrage timers, or gear levels being reduced. Just more ways to make the game as inconvenient as possible. That's not difficulty, that's just straight-up annoyances.

I've said it a million times: LFR HAS NO EFFECT ON YOU IF YOU DON'T USE IT. None. 0. Zilch. Forget about it and stop worrying about what other people are doing.
    I don't play WoW anymore, ese.

How about instead of being negative, you contribute your own suggestions about how to make the hypothetical such server harder?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has no interest in making special servers to accommodate a vast minority. You might try a private server for your hardmode fantasy cause Blizz will NEVER make this a reality.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play WoW anymore, ese.

How about instead of being negative, you contribute your own suggestions about how to make the hypothetical such server harder?

There is no reason to. Said server would never make it live.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    Hardmode servers definately would be nice. Also in combination with PVP that really has influence on the World (=for example you kill a faction Boss, your whole faction gains +100% Rep/XP for 2hours, while the other faction gets -50%Rep/XP or you can permanently conquer zones/quest hubs). Of course the Server Population would have to be well balanced (=you cant create a Horde Character when there are more than 55% Horde on the server).

The ideas are good but whats the gain from playing on such a server? Better gear? Titles? Doesnt make a difference when you cant transfer to other realms anyways.

No, this idea would never happen and there is no reason to make it happen, they will NEVER make seperate servers, this has been said soooo many times so stop making threads like this or classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Hardmode servers definately would be nice. Also in combination with PVP that really has influence on the World (=for example you kill a faction Boss, your whole faction gains +100% Rep/XP for 2hours, while the other faction gets -50%Rep/XP or you can permanently conquer zones/quest hubs). Of course the Server Population would have to be well balanced (=you cant create a Horde Character when there are more than 55% Horde on the server).

The ideas are good but whats the gain from playing on such a server? Better gear? Titles? Doesnt make a difference when you cant transfer to other realms anyways.
    OP proposed server would simply make me enjoy a game I currently have zero interest for.

Playing in such a server, since it would be substantially more difficult than normal servers, would obviously confer significant prestige to its players. They would be the Aristocracy of WoW. Same thing happened with Siege Perilous (ca 2004-2005 when I played UO).

I'd be for something like this.

They would be the Aristocracy of WoW.
    Only according to themselves.

One really hard server for people to play by themselves on, you mean. You'd end up playing on this server with somewhere around 20 players, who would then quit because the server has no population.

If you want to go back to how things were in Vanilla, find a private server to play on.

This thread is posted at least once a week and each time it is as ridiculous an idea as the last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing in such a server, since it would be substantially more difficult than normal servers, would obviously confer significant prestige to its players. They would be the Aristocracy of WoW. Same thing happened with Siege Perilous (ca 2004-2005 when I played UO).
    Except it isn't more difficult. It's just ridiculously more tedious.

Want more difficulty? Then:

1 - Mobs are elites now and require a party or top-gear to defeat
    2 - Bring back a lot of group quests that require 5 or more people
    3 - Have a lot of large, unkillable mobs wander questing areas a la Fel-reavers
    4 - Reduce gear levels and increase enrage timers/mechanics on all raid bosses

Because otherwise all I see is just a way to make the game just exceptionally tedious with no return on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Want it to be more of a challenge? Host a "no pants" raid night and see who shows up.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Want it to be more of a challenge? Host a "no pants" raid night and see who shows up.
    Start a guild called "We Raid Naked" and ACTUALLY raid naked