Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Apart from the PTR I can't think of any time I've had epics thrown at me (be given epics without doing anything). Every epic I have, I had to do something to get it. Whether it was kill and loot a mob (raid boss, world boss, rare, etc), gather mats to craft it, make the gold to buy it or earn some other sort of currency to buy it (PvP, Valor, Timeless Coins, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I don't even know what to say to this lol
    You should see the trade chat on Sylvanas.

I don't care if the color of the text on the item is yellow, pink or brown, what I care about is being ganked by a person with 50 more ilvl than me and I have no chance to fight back, no matter the skill.

Yeah, my awesome guild had the awesome idea to transfer to a pvp server and I was stupid enough to go with them, even as a non raider, but social. Gonna transfer back to a pve server soon, because the amount of people who run around with 700k+ hp and just pick easy <400k hp targets is astounding.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the news about the new "trial of the gladiator" feature in wod, where people finally will show off skill, and not "who has better gear".

Oh ye, and as someone mentioned above, good luck to not care about gear if you want to see any content above lfr, flex pugs asking 545+ ilvl for an instance that drops 540 loot. So common on my server, I bet it's same everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    I need fast epics because those elitist fucks won't let me join any pugs because I don't have 580 ilevel or w/e is the requirement for flex 1 these days. What happens after I get that threadshold I don't care.
    You know, every time I check the chat section of Openraid, I see a bunch of flex groups without any meaningful requirements... and, yet, every time I check these forums, I hear how all of the flex groups out there require absurd item levels.

I should probably go get my head checked, because those Openraid groups that I see are clearly imaginary.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    You know, every time I check the chat section of Openraid, I see a bunch of flex groups without any meaningful requirements... and, yet, every time I check these forums, I hear how all of the flex groups out there require absurd item levels.

I should probably go get my head checked, because those Openraid groups that I see are clearly imaginary.
    Servers with large populations are very elitist because there are a lot of players to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Servers with large populations are very elitist because there are a lot of players to choose from.
    Funny, I am on a large server (Midwinter's) and, while I do see some groups with high requirements, that certainly doesn't mean all of them have them.

Fortunately, Flex raids can be cross-realmed and there are ALWAYS people LFM on Openraid. As I said in the post you quoted but, apparently, failed to read, those groups do not usually have meaningful (if any) requirements.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    This is an absurd argument. Competition is what drives some people whether it be real life or a game, and to suggest that people with a competitive spirit "have no life" is just a ridiculous attempt to make yourself feel better about not being competitive. And in that competitive spirit, there's a certain satisfaction with winning and being rewarded. Hell, there's a certain satisfaction even when you don't win, but you can cheer on someone who DID win that prize that you missed out on... And that drive to get it next time is exciting. To dislike someone because they won something you didn't is childish.

And then there's the "you showed up" trophy.

"God, his life must be so sad that he wants first place in that race."
    "God, his life must be so sad that he wants to beat that other guy at chess."
    "God, his life must be so sad that he sits around for hours at a time watching other people play a game and hoping his team wins."

If you're not competitive, that's great. More power to you for however you choose to live/play. But for some it's fun, and winning means something. Getting that first place trophy means a lot more than getting a "hey, you showed up" trophy.

Some people enjoy competition and winning because it's exciting, not because they're attempting to compensate for some figurative failed life as you suggest.
    which would matter if the gear was a mark of doing better. right now it's not. it's simply a hastily patched system of pretty colors that's largely meaningless.

the best ways to proceed are to return meaning to the differentiations between gear or drop them altogether.

simply because of what you stated, i suggest we return meaning in some way.

HOW we return meaning is a much much larger debate.

either way, passive aggressive jabs at people for simply being accustomed to what's been presented for the past nearly decade is pointless and petty.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

I love threads like these where people moan that players are lazy and do not work hard enough in a game. Buzz words such as entitlement and instant gratification get thrown around like candy at a kid's birthday party and it is not long before it suggested, without a hint of irony, that this is a problem with not just WOW but society as a whole.

Seriously get a grip! If anyone's enjoyment of the game is tarnished by the rewards that others can receive then it is time they take a long, hard look at themselves and consider why they take a game so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    I know they're trying to milk the game for all it's worth, but it's backfiring. Hard. The recent sub losses speak for that..
    I get really tired of retards saying shit like this. WoW is an old game losing subscribers at a slower rate than most other games do at that age. It has nothing to do with "epics not being epic" or whatever stupid douchebag shit poopsockers on the forums whine about.

AW YEAH DOG ITS BACKFIRING HARD

No it's not you ignorant asshole.

Keep it civil please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-11-26 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnz19 View Post
    I used to love the feeling of getting an epic and it actually meaning something. Why are they even called epics now? They're hardly epic to obtain, they don't feel epic, and the majority don't even look epic. What happened to blues being the most common form of gear? What was wrong with that?

For the argument that casuals wanted more epics because it felt like they were missing out - isn't that the point?
    I am a casual gamer, I don't want to put any effort into anything because I don't really care. I have come to expect that a company will want to keep me happy to make me stick with their product, this means that I get everything I want handed to me. I am the future of gaming.
    Last edited by Morbownz; 2013-11-26 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    which would matter if the gear was a mark of doing better. right now it's not. it's simply a hastily patched system of pretty colors that's largely.
    Are you saying that a player in full BIS HM gear is not a sign of "doing better"? OT that because it's all the same color that it doesn't matter?

I enjoy when they let me play the game more than grind the game more. Epics mean nothing to me, especially if you're a PVEer. Taking forever to get an epic just so you can be competitive is an MMO model that should descend and burn in the depths of hell.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. I remember when I was leveling in Eastern Plaguelands with a buddy back in TBC, farming Undead for the fun shit old EPL had. Lo and behold a Brain Hacker dropped! O_O I was stunned, this was the first epic I'd ever seen drop! We rolled and I won. It was an amazing feeling. I didn't see another epic drop for months.

That, my friends, was epic.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

As a casual, I'm very comfortable with not having BiS gear, nor do I expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter.

But when I run LFR (which, to a casual, can be as frustrating and time consuming as normal raiding), I do expect to get rewarded. Maybe, I'm not decked out in 580 gear, but I would like the gear I receive to allow me to occasionally play with regular players with out being a major DPS loss.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    No. I remember when I was leveling in Eastern Plaguelands with a buddy back in TBC, farming Undead for the fun shit old EPL had. Lo and behold a Brain Hacker dropped! O_O I was stunned, this was the first epic I'd ever seen drop! We rolled and I won. It was an amazing feeling. I didn't see another epic drop for months.

I spent weeks farming to get the Lionheart helm and Arcanite Reaper (It should have been epic, cmon) crafted. It was amazing the whole time. Given, I was farming furbolg and wintersaber rep at the same time, but still, it was amazing.

Deleted
    love getting them professer plums

10+ Year Old Account
    As a heroic raider, it doesn't bother me much. They're just colors. The "epic" part certainly isn't the color anymore, it's whether or not it's heroic. AFAIC, LFR = white/green, Flex/Normal = blue, Heroic = epic, end of. Just colors.

I am a casual gamer, I don't want to put any effort into anything because I don't really care. I have come to expect that a company will want to keep me happy to make me stick with their product, this means that I get everything I want handed to me. I am the future of gaming.
    The future of gaming are the e-sports. They are eating all markets.
    If you were the future of gaming, then your main entertainment should be at the top of all rankings, distribution, mediatic media, streams, etc... but I don't see anything about that. It's the oposite, every month there are more MMORPGs that are going down, every mmorpg has less and less viewers, every championship has less and less "new gamers" (like you said), etc...
    There is only one thing that is over the rest: WoW sales. Paying every month 13€/$ is the best thing that wow has. Not the game, not the people that support it, not the streamer, not the endgame content, not the MMORPG style method, even the pay mehtod is in a low ranking too (for gamers, pr0s and casuals).

15+ Year Old Account
    Epics has always been thrown at you in this game. WoW was a casual game compared to the other MMO's out there when it was released and was one of the reasons it became that giant we now see.

I see epics/legendarys as nothing, but a tool to kill the bigger and badder things. If there was no gear and raids was tuned for that I would be completely fine. But for most people that would not be enough. Us humans love the constant progression and search for the shinier things. Thats what drives us and separates us from the animals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

I get the same feeling every time I win an item that improves over the existing one.