[Books/TV Shows] How far should I read into Game of Thrones before I start watching?

I swore to my friend on a stack of Star Wars Blu-Ray discs that I'd read A Game of Thrones before I watched the show. I'm a dozen or so chapters in now. I'm just wondering how far the show has gone (I think it just finished season 3?) in relation to the book series.

Like, if I read the entire first book, would I then be able to watch all of the current TV episodes without spoiling anything? Or would I have to stop at the second season finale or whatever and read the next book before moving on? Just curious; seems like a good story and I've no desire to spoil it for myself.

In my honest opinion, none of the books.

I read all of the books after the first season and for me it sort of ruined the TV series. Also I think/hope the TV show will be better when they get to the last couple of books which are mediocre, (or at least I found some of the storylines/characters boring/tedious).

15+ Year Old Account
    the books are way better than the show imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far they are doing a book per season, so you need to read the first 3 to be caught up.

Both the books and the series are worth finishing, I just personally prefer to read first. If I watch first I start inserting actors and their mannerisms into my imagination and that just spoils the fun of a good book.

Project Troll Roll | Signature Requests: Open

Yea, it's more or less 1 book for 1 season. The 3rd book will have some some spoilers for season 4 (I think), but it'll be airing in the next 4 months anyway.

the third season didn't actually go all the way to the end of the third book, but still you are good as long as you read 1 book per season

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    In my honest opinion, none of the books.

I read all of the books after the first season and for me it sort of ruined the TV series. Also I think/hope the TV show will be better when they get to the last couple of books which are mediocre, (or at least I found some of the storylines/characters boring/tedious).
    Go read some Twilight. The books are more than enough a reason to spoil the tv show.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.