3+ Monitor Video Card/PC gaming on TV advice

Having trouble finding information on how to tell how many monitors a single card can drive, and hoping for some help, as this is beyond my area of knowledge. I'm aware the amount of video out connectors has nothing at all to do with how many monitors can be used simultaneously.

My current PC has two video cards, one Radeon that's powering my two main monitors (DVI connected) and has an open HDMI port, but the card can only power two simultaneous monitors, and an older low-power nVidia card just there to power a 3rd monitor (VGA connected)

I'm wanting to replace the main GPU to run at least 3 monitors, 4 preferable sos I can remove the old nVidia card, but not absolutely essential.

Main purpose for this is run a 50ft HDMI cable out of the PC into my TV so I can play my Steam games on my 56" from the couch, as well as replace my dedicated HTPC. I'm assuming there'd be no problems with signal loss with a 50ft HDMI cable?

Also looking for any general advice/information from personal experience on setting up a PC to play Steam games on. I've never gamed from a PC connected to my television, just used it for netflix and XBMC and the like.

Thanks for any help.

Depends on the card. Which radeon card do you have? My 6970/50 can run three monitors, more if I was to daisy-chain DisplayPort monitors.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I'm pretty sure my current card only supports two at a time. I tried an HDMI-DVI to one monitor, DVI-DVI to another, and DVI-VGA to 3rd and only two were recognized at a time. It's also 2 years old next month so I'm due for an update either way. It's an ASUS-built Radeon 6850.

I have no display hardware that uses displayport, though I was lead to believe last year I could run a 3rd monitor off the displayport.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post
    I'm pretty sure my current card only supports two at a time. I tried an HDMI-DVI to one monitor, DVI-DVI to another, and DVI-VGA to 3rd and only two were recognized at a time. It's also 2 years old next month so I'm due for an update either way. It's an ASUS-built Radeon 6850.

I have no display hardware that uses displayport, though I was lead to believe last year I could run a 3rd monitor off the displayport.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419
    Pretty sure it's like my cards as in you can only use one hdmi/one dvi or double dvi at a time. You could get an active DP > hdmi adapter and run 1 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 dp. Pretty sure it's the same on current cards too, though I'm pretty sure you can get cards that have more than 1 DisplayPort connection, and with use of adapters you could achieve what you're after.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2013-12-27 at 10:02 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

So then something like: Active Displayport to HDMI coupled with 50ft HDMI cable should give me all I need to get my 56" TV set up as a monitor to my PC?

If so, much simpler than I was lead to believe with all my googling tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post
    So then something like: Active Displayport to HDMI coupled with 50ft HDMI cable should give me all I need to get my 56" TV set up as a monitor to my PC?

If so, much simpler than I was lead to believe with all my googling tonight.
    Basically, yes. Though you need keep in mind that your 6850 may struggle at times.