Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is moonkin really this bad?

At ilvl 502 i struggle to break 30k, even on multi dotting i can just reach 50k, and thats with playing perfectly. My warlock at like 450ilvl does 40k without even breaking a sweat. Shadowpriest even at 480 ilvl can do 40k easy.

I have followed the guides here, icyveins, official forums. Its all the same rotation. I have heard that they are gear dependant. But 502 ilvl isnt low at all and it just makes me not wanna bother going any further...

Deleted
    "At ilvl 502 i struggle to break 30k, even on multi dotting i can just reach 50k, and thats with playing perfectly"

So you're assuming you are playing the balance druid spec perfectly. Not managing to break 30k, I can assure you that you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    and thats with playing perfectly.
    There's your problem. Judging by the numbers you gave us your playing every class you mentioned far from perfectly.

My moonkin raiding buddy, often does close to 300k dps on SoO bosses in 563 or so gear. Moonkins are fine, atleast at high gear levels.

Deleted
    you might being follow the guides, and doing what it said / says, But being playing a Balance druid perfectly is not something you learn from guides.

Its hard, really hard ( so ive heard)
    But at 502 Ilvl and 30K DPS. You are doing something wrong..
    Maybe stats prio change depending on breakpoints? Dunno. But giving up, wont teach you ure char. If you like to play balance, you keep getting better equipped, and adjust depending on cleave/Aoe/ single target. Keep reading, watch videoes, talk with great balance droods and learn

You are doing something wrong. But balance is weak in lower ilvl with high ilvl it is among the best.

Something is wrong if you're only doing 30k. Maybe you aren't gemmed and reforger correctly. I probably didn't break 100k until I was around 510 ilvl. I'm 528 equipped and consistently pull 140k+ now. The rotation is good, but your bread and butter is getting dot crits so you can spam starsurge. You need to interrupt casts if you get a proc right away except during a wrath cast while under bloodlust/hero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dahri View Post
    You are doing something wrong. But balance is weak in lower ilvl with high ilvl it is among the best.
    Any spec in this game will be doing 2.5-3x times dps with this gear if its properly gemmed and enchanted and played right.

Probably OP dont even bother with doing that, and with his poor (im not afraid of this word, what you gonna do too me? call me elitist jerk lol) gameplay we have results.

There are many factors that decide about dps - gear, gems, enchants, ui, knowlegde of class, knowledge of fight. Unfortunatelly with you results i need to suppose that you're missing most of them.

On noxxic's REALISTIC DPS RANKINGS page, for ilvl 502, Boomkins are at 110,800 DPS. That takes into account movement, far-from perfect cooldown and trinket proc line-ups, etc. In my experience, I can meet or beat the realistic DPS rankings on alts with corresponding gear levels normally. I assure you that 30k DPS is not "playing perfectly". In fact you're doing something horribly wrong. I was almost breaking 30k DPS at the end of ICC. In fact, the lowest realistic DPS ranking for the lowest shown ilvl (468) for the absolute lowest spec/class combo is combat rogue at 60,628. Also, just thought you should know you're doing half the DPS you should be doing on your spriest and approximately half the DPS you should be doing on your warlock. You are far from perfect.

Edit: If OP is not blatantly trolling, then I think maybe we should go easier on him because he wouldn't have brought this up on the forum if he thought he was making a huge mistake. OP, perhaps you could give us some details on what you're doing that makes you believe you're playing perfectly? You have a lot of room for improvement and this is a good place to start.
    Last edited by torment3d; 2013-11-30 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    "At ilvl 502 i struggle to break 30k, even on multi dotting i can just reach 50k, and thats with playing perfectly"

So you're assuming you are playing the balance druid spec perfectly. Not managing to break 30k, I can assure you that you aren't.
    What i meant was going to the dummies, dotting up and making sure nothing falls off and have been buffed with natures grace and corresponding eclipse (i think its called that haste buff)

Just how important are things like haste breakpoints and crit to moonkin? Im by no means the best player but standing still at the dummies casting all day with dots rolling and barely doing any dps could possibly mean that i havnt gemmed/enchanted/reforged.

Could be my mistake for not doing it but this is honestly a first seeing 30k dps at lvl 90. Hunters do that much with auto attacking D:

At ilvl 502 i struggle to break 30k, even on multi dotting i can just reach 50k, and thats with playing perfectly. My warlock at like 450ilvl does 40k without even breaking a sweat. Shadowpriest even at 480 ilvl can do 40k easy.

I have followed the guides here, icyveins, official forums. Its all the same rotation. I have heard that they are gear dependant. But 502 ilvl isnt low at all and it just makes me not wanna bother going any further...
    Show us your armory. I bet anything you don't have anything gemmed or enchanted.

I took the liberty of browsing your post history because I was convinced your thread was obviously a troll... I see it isn't. You're just a strictly PvP player who decided to dip into PvE. There are things way more important to your "rotation" than just dotting and continuosly casting something. If you try that with some classes you'll seemingly do fine, but boomy isn't one of them. First, I will say that your hunter auto attacks can hit 50k.... that right there is the difference. Your boomkin doesn't have an auto attack which means all of your damage comes from direct spell casts, not just 50% of it (arbitrarily chosen percentage, don't ask me where I get my numbers lol). This also means, in turn, that you have to make sure you're doing everything right. I'd start by asking someone who mains a boomkin to go through the PvE rotation and stuff with you, look into stat priorities so you can properly gem/ench/reforge, and go take another run at the dummies and compare.

I will also point out that you want to always be casting or on global, which means that you need to have a spell queued. Ideally, it should be the CORRECT spell, but a wrong spell is way better than spending even a quarter of a second to pick the right one. Common moonkin mistakes include casting the wrong eclipsed spell (aka, you are building towards solar with starfire, hit solar, and you had queued up a starfire- don't STOP casting it, but correct it for next time- this is much more common with an extra wrath building towards lunar).

The dots need snapshotting. The devs have confirmed that the snapshotting in question won't be going away. Trinket snapshotting and such will, but the class ability snapshotting, such as nature's grace, will not. This means that when you hit your eclipse, apply dots promptly. IIRC this is also when you should wail out your treants if you are specced that way.

There are haste breakpoints, but you won't be near the great ones in 502. Also check to be sure that your 502 gear is really dps gear- not only could your effective gear level be lower because you have far too many spirit pieces, but more importantly you could have made very poor choices- for instance, if you have a resto meta.

Also ensure you are promptly responding to starsurge procs, and read the guides for moonkin pve that you will find around here and also on EJ and probably somewhere else that the balance mains will tell you about.

Also glyph of stars. Unless chicken furry I guess :P

It's funny how with 470 gear you could do 60k dps single target (ok, raid buffed but still) when MoP came out. If you do 30k with 502 it feels like you don't even know the basics.

Deleted
    Wow, when a generally nice guy like alzu burns you like this. then you must be doing loads of things wrong haha.

Without kidding, moonkins are micro managing bastards. So, I would advice to watch some streams, see how they play. Ask them question, why and how they are doing it. That will sort you out. Tbf the numbers you are talking about are hard to get that low if I do everything wrong on purpose after first tier MoP.. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    What i meant was going to the dummies, dotting up and making sure nothing falls off and have been buffed with natures grace and corresponding eclipse (i think its called that haste buff)

Just how important are things like haste breakpoints and crit to moonkin? Im by no means the best player but standing still at the dummies casting all day with dots rolling and barely doing any dps could possibly mean that i havnt gemmed/enchanted/reforged.

Could be my mistake for not doing it but this is honestly a first seeing 30k dps at lvl 90. Hunters do that much with auto attacking D:
    Things like breakpoints and whatever aren't the difference between 30 and 100k dps. You're doing something majorly wrong, no matter what you claim. Until you link your armory you're not going to get much help because it's very difficult to aid those who give no information other than "I know I'm doing it right but why aren't my numbers there?"
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Post ya armory link.. if you're 502 pvp gear then yeah, I could see someone doing 30k dps on a target dummy.. hell I'd be willing to bet you sim around 50k tops 70k
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2013-11-30 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    either you are not playing perfectly or you should ditch the agi gear

Deleted
    My druid is at 540 ilvl, does 120k at simulationcraft, with the absolute min / maxed gems / enchants.

Boomkins is very gear dependant. one example is the immerseus trinket increases my dps with 40k etc etc. so you people saying he's doing something horribly wrong.. He probably is. but he wont break the 100k.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are changing which spells you use when to go into an eclipse state...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.