Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I need help gaining weight.

Hello i need help gaining weight and i have a really hard time doing so.

Okay so 19 years old male, i am 191cm and i am around 57.2kg sometimes more. My BMI is 15.6 which is really low..
    When i just eat more i only get a big stomach i don't get more muscles or anything. Its really annoying for me. I don't want to do really hardcore workout. I don't want a super riped body. I just want to gain more weight overall on my body. You can see my ribbs and everything. But also my stomach is not really that thin.

My big problem is that i burn really fast. I can eat up 5kgs and if i eat regular its done in less than a week. Last night i weighed myself 61.8 kgs and today i was 57.7. I really hope that was just the weight being wrong though.

But do anyone have any tips? I tried for so long to look normal and not like a girl that have eating dissorder.

Thanks

Eat like a man, lift like a beast, rest like a baby.
    I emphasize the eat part.

Eat more, go to the gym and work out at the same time. Only advice i can give you. Oh but don't eat purely unhealthy. Just eat more of the normal food just more of it.

There are too many variables involved as to why you cannot gain weight. It could be your nutrition is all wrong, your nutritional timing is off, poor workout habits and technique or just simply your genetics sucks. Not trying to be mean, some people are genetically predisposition to not be 'gainers'.

Rather than trying to give you the broscience, I would encourage you to visit http://forum.bodybuilding.com and do a bit of reading - in fact do a lot of reading. Also, consult your physician to make sure there are no health problems that might be impeding your growth.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DrMosh View Post
    There are too many variables involved as to why you cannot gain weight. It could be your nutrition is all wrong, your nutritional timing is off, poor workout habits and technique or just simply your genetics sucks. Not trying to be mean, some people are genetically predisposition to not be 'gainers'.

Rather than trying to give you the broscience, I would encourage you to visit http://forum.bodybuilding.com and do a bit of reading - in fact do a lot of reading. Also, consult your physician to make sure there are no health problems that might be impeding your growth.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
    Doc
    No. Stop right there. Nothing is wrong with his nutrition. Nutrition timing plays no factor in body composition. His genetics don't suck. He's simply not eating enough.
    Hard gainers are excuses skinny people use as to why they can't put on weight.
    Endomorphism is an excuse fat people use as to why they can't lose weight. Its all bs.

Deleted
    I have the opposite of your problem. I gain weight weight/mass and lose it at a fast rate..

Eat everything you see....

Deleted
    Eat more /thread over...

Its not that i don't eat. I really eat a lot. I eat more than anyone in my family but they arent that skinny as me. Its just that i burn the food really quickly. But i am going to read up. And is "gainers" a good idea? Like some energy powder or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be happy, a lot of people would be thrilled to have your "problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Be happy, a lot of people would be thrilled to have your "problem"
    Yes i do know that. And i can see how many people would give a lot to have what i have.
    But try to see it from my side. I have less muscles than girls. It looks really bad.

A friend of mine had the same goal/problem. He just ate more healthy food (lots of proteins and he also added weight gainer/protein shakes to his diet) and started lifting weights at the gym 4 times a week for about one and a half year (now he goes twice a week, not as hardcore as before). He didn't get huge or looks ripped. He just looks better/healthier and not as skinny as before like he was starving himself :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakash View Post
    Yes i do know that. And i can see how many people would give a lot to have what i have.
    But try to see it from my side. I have less muscles than girls. It looks really bad.
    Looks arent important. Health is. Too many people are vain

Deleted
    Your height could be contributing your your skinniness. Eat a lot more and try and build muscle.

Its not that i don't eat. I really eat a lot. I eat more than anyone in my family but they arent that skinny as me. Its just that i burn the food really quickly. But i am going to read up. And is "gainers" a good idea? Like some energy powder or something.
    Do you want real advice or not? Because it's already been given to you so many times in this thread - consume more callories. There is no other trick. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Crusader Absalom View Post
    No. Stop right there. Nothing is wrong with his nutrition. Nutrition timing plays no factor in body composition. His genetics don't suck. He's simply not eating enough.
    Endomorphism is an excuse fat people use as to why they can't lose weight. Its all bs.
    Also from your origina post:

Last night i weighed myself 61.8 kgs and today i was 57.7
    Some other factors beyond real weight loss are at play here. No straight up loss of of 4 KGs a day is possible.

Well yeah i guess. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Crusader Absalom View Post
    clearly they play no part at all, genetics can be completely discounted as a cause for anything. Not saying you cant improve in either situation with work but to completely rule them out is ignorance.

getting "ripped" usually involves severe diet restrictions and water loss (i've seen body builders collapse after a show due to these things). 2 x 45 minute sessions of 3 sets of 5 reps will build bulk and strength - well it does for me and without adding definition. These can mostly be done with dumbells and barbells so no need to expensive gyms. Squats are the main issue early - I had a welder make a set of squat stands out of piping. very cheap.
    Last edited by Vetis; 2013-10-30 at 12:32 PM.

Well yeah i guess. Thanks everyone.
    Just to add: there are powder mass gainers for shakes etc with lots of carbs and protein - with your height to gain weight you need some real cals going in so if you have trouble doing that with real food you can try those. Also, you won't get ripped if you just visit gym a couple of times a week - it's a misconception. Just do yourself a favor and start working out a bit so your cals actually go to good use of building muscle and not fat (as already been mentioned here as well).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    clearly they play no part at all, genetics can be completely discounted as a cause for anything. Not saying you cant improve in either situation with work but to completely rule them out is ignorance.
    A good topic for pointless discussion for the sake of discussion. People just do not differ enough for that to even come into play when planning for weight gain or loss. Just straight up manage your cals and that's about it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps a thyroid issue of some sort? Or a disease? get yourself checked first so people could know at least if its a medical condition or not.

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Perhaps a thyroid issue of some sort? Or a disease? get yourself checked first so people could know at least if its a medical condition or not.
    Yes, of course. Thank you. Need to rule out medical issues first.

Deleted
    I'm in the same boat as you, trying to gain weight. I'm 185 cm and 65 kg, I was 52 2 months ago.
    What to do: eat 3000 calories a day.

duriing workouts: 143g proteines, 548g carbohydrates, 81g fat.
    During rest days: 143g proteines, 192g carbs, 128g fat.

Eating a lot is difficult, you should drink max 2 proteineshakes a day. It's like a drink and gives you plenty of calories, protein, etc.

Work out 3 times per week. Do your exercices like this: 4 sets of every excercise. For example 50kg is the highest you can lift. Do 15 x 50 --> 20 x 45 --> 25 x 40 --> 20 x 45. Do your exercise slowly. If you are new to fitness, start with the machines. When you get familiar with it, go to the dumbells. They give you more.

GOOD LUCK!!