Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Home workout schedule with little to no weights?

Im looking build some muscle and lose some fat. I do not want to join a gym or anything as I believe I can do a lot out of my home.

I have two 25 pound dumbells and one 65 pound bar. Thats about it unfortunately. I want to do things daily but i need help making a schedule and what workouts to actually do without weights (or with the weights I have, probably more reps will be needed).

I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds. Im more motivated at home than at the gym Ive noticed. Most of my muscle is in my legs and I have barely any upper body strength. Im looking to rid of some of my gut, lose my man boobs, and gain some decent arms. Im just looking to get a little stronger and look a little healthier. Im relatively thin, but I do have some stomach fat and moobs that id like to get rid of.
    Last edited by BRO90X; 2013-12-03 at 01:49 AM.

Deleted
    Wrestle bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    Wrestle bears.
    I tried this, but I for some reason couldnt find any to wrestle with in the city.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you said you don't want to join a gym, but most areas have gyms that offer $10/month memberships. That is far and away your best bet. If you absolutely can't join a gym? Push-ups and running are going to be your best bet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BRO90X View Post
    I tried this, but I for some reason couldnt find any to wrestle with in the city.
    Theres plenty of bears in the the city who'd play with you, might be a pita though

Quote Originally Posted by HulkBrogan View Post
    I know you said you don't want to join a gym, but most areas have gyms that offer $10/month memberships. That is far and away your best bet. If you absolutely can't join a gym? Push-ups and running are going to be your best bet.
    The gym closest to my house is $30 a month because its 24/hours. Other wise its a 20-30 minute drive from my house. Running I do 5 times a week with the 6th being a walk with my fiancee around the neighborhood. I know there are different styles of pushups to do and the same with sit ups and also Im sure I can do something with the weights I have.

I would do many push ups, crunches, squats, and other things like that as for the dumbbells do a certain amount of reps per sets with them doing hammers and curls and dips and go running and if you don't know what i'm talking about for the dumbbell read up on this website http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/. If you do all this you will see a change in your physical appearance pretty quickly and you'll only get healthier the longer you keep it up. Also for diet you should be good if you completely avoid soda and all things like ice cream. However you can still have sweets but in moderation and never binge.

Deleted
    Exercise + home do not mix. The mental thing of going to a gym getting out of you're house will help motivate you more than anything else, as well you are about three times as likely to continue to workout if you have a friend. My advice would definitely be to join a gym and find a friend to join you and makes some gains!

Although if you ignore my advice you're best bet is i would advice
    1: Run outside would be best for simply getting you out of the house, although treadmill is acceptable
    2: Weights: You could use your current weights although unless you are starting from a low point 25pound dumbells are very low, and doing more sets e.g. instead of doing 5 sets of 10, doing 10 sets of 20, will not produce optimal gains and you will never push yourself higher. - perhaps if you brought some heavier weights would be easier to do. - Some things you could do with current is parallel raises, bent over rows and bicep curls perhaps some others but at a low weight won't be as helpful

3: Abs your benefit here is that this requires nothing to get optimal results, i recommend: 60 sit ups non-stop - break 60 crunch -break - 60 penguins - break - 60 leg raise (MAKE SURE HANDS ARE ON BUM AND SUPPORTING YOU IF U GET BACK PAIN STOP ON LEGRAISE) break and 60 crunch to finish

Also if you tell us what shape you're in and what your goals are we could help you more e.g. you want 6 pack, want to bench 150 kg or just look good, because if you just wish to stay in shape running 5 times a week should keep you more than in-shape.

To add on depending on what weight you are currently and how much you eat, you may want to keep at current level / eat more if you want to make muscle gains, many people make this mistake although it can lead to weight loss yes, you're better off eating the same gyming hard which will lead to your body instead of burning all fat and having nothing left, it will convert the fat you eat and convert to muscle slowly, where as the less eating will mean you'l drop like 15 pounds then put back 15 pounds to muscle which can lead to all manner of problems
    Last edited by mmoc25161a4486; 2013-12-02 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried BRO90X?

Spartacus workout, hardest most efficent workout for fat loss/lean muscle gain i have ever done

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/hi...tine/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by starsend View Post
    Exercise + home do not mix. The mental thing of going to a gym getting out of you're house will help motivate you more than anything else, as well you are about three times as likely to continue to workout if you have a friend. My advice would definitely be to join a gym and find a friend to join you and makes some gains!

Although if you ignore my advice you're best bet is i would advice
    1: Run outside would be best for simply getting you out of the house, although treadmill is acceptable
    2: Weights: You could use your current weights although unless you are starting from a low point 25pound dumbells are very low, and doing more sets e.g. instead of doing 5 sets of 10, doing 10 sets of 20, will not produce optimal gains and you will never push yourself higher. - perhaps if you brought some heavier weights would be easier to do. - Some things you could do with current is parallel raises, bent over rows and bicep curls perhaps some others but at a low weight won't be as helpful

3: Abs your benefit here is that this requires nothing to get optimal results, i recommend: 60 sit ups non-stop - break 60 crunch -break - 60 penguins - break - 60 leg raise (MAKE SURE HANDS ARE ON BUM AND SUPPORTING YOU IF U GET BACK PAIN STOP ON LEGRAISE) break and 60 crunch to finish

Also if you tell us what shape you're in and what your goals are we could help you more e.g. you want 6 pack, want to bench 150 kg or just look good, because if you just wish to stay in shape running 5 times a week should keep you more than in-shape.

To add on depending on what weight you are currently and how much you eat, you may want to keep at current level / eat more if you want to make muscle gains, many people make this mistake although it can lead to weight loss yes, you're better off eating the same gyming hard which will lead to your body instead of burning all fat and having nothing left, it will convert the fat you eat and convert to muscle slowly, where as the less eating will mean you'l drop like 15 pounds then put back 15 pounds to muscle which can lead to all manner of problems

Lots of good things i learned in here. I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds. Im more motivated at home than at the gym Ive noticed. Most of my muscle is in my legs and I have barely any upper body strength. Im looking to rid of some of my gut, lose my man boobs, and gain some decent arms. Im just looking to get a little stronger and look a little healthier. Im relatively thin, but I do have some stomach fat and moobs that id like to get rid of.

The gym is going to be your best bet because you are just starting and you need more weight. Reps with the weight you have will not get you very far, other than a mild cardio; to increase strength the amount of resistance/load worked needs to increase over time. If you are REALLY that motivated AND going to gym is impossible/impracticable then bodyweight conditioning and gymnastics strength training will achieve similar goals and may be your only choice in building muscle. That doesn't mean doing conventional pushups, dips, crunches, etc. as they are practically useless for building muscle without adding weight to them. Planche variations, FL, BL, Handstand work should be your foundation. Though...just go to the gym, it's just much easier! heh
    Last edited by Lockstatus; 2013-12-03 at 02:54 AM.

Have you heard of craigslist? I'm sure there are plenty of bears who would be willing to give you a hand with your man boobs.

On a less disturbing note you can build plenty of upper body with a doorway pull up bar, push ups and chair dips. If you've done p90x you should know this though? Or maybe your name is just meant to be silly and you've never done it. You will need cardio though and nothing beats a good ol' fashioned morning run.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Have you heard of craigslist? I'm sure there are plenty of bears who would be willing to give you a hand with your man boobs.

On a less disturbing note you can build plenty of upper body with a doorway pull up bar, push ups and chair dips. If you've done p90x you should know this though? Or maybe your name is just meant to be silly and you've never done it. You will need cardio though and nothing beats a good ol' fashioned morning run.
    My name is just ironic lol. I do run like I said 5 days a week with a walk on the sixth.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im looking build some muscle and lose some fat. I do not want to join a gym or anything as I believe I can do a lot out of my home.

I have two 25 pound dumbells and one 65 pound bar. Thats about it unfortunately. I want to do things daily but i need help making a schedule and what workouts to actually do without weights (or with the weights I have, probably more reps will be needed).

I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds. Im more motivated at home than at the gym Ive noticed. Most of my muscle is in my legs and I have barely any upper body strength. Im looking to rid of some of my gut, lose my man boobs, and gain some decent arms. Im just looking to get a little stronger and look a little healthier. Im relatively thin, but I do have some stomach fat and moobs that id like to get rid of.
    From home? honestly i would just youtube six pack short cuts. Mike Chang gives a lot of ideas of stuff you can do in your home. You wont ever get close to looking like him by doing home work outs but you get what you pay for.

I would suggest joining a gym. Home is too comfortable and the best way to push yourself to improve is leaving your comfort zone. There is more equipment to help build the muscle you want.

Deleted
    Lots of good things i learned in here. I am 6' 1" and 185 pounds. Im more motivated at home than at the gym Ive noticed. Most of my muscle is in my legs and I have barely any upper body strength. Im looking to rid of some of my gut, lose my man boobs, and gain some decent arms. Im just looking to get a little stronger and look a little healthier. Im relatively thin, but I do have some stomach fat and moobs that id like to get rid of.
    moobs: definitely try the ab workout i suggested and, chest and shoulder workouts will help with this area, you are at a decent weight for you're height i would say but like you say have still some gut and moobs, which happens to most people. Couldn't really say anything more specific as when i was overweight three years ago when i started i worked all body areas and lost my moobs along with fat everywhere else think general fitness on all body parts is good to aim for you know the memes like "never let friends skip leg day" etc best looks will come from overall.

Quote Originally Posted by starsend View Post
    moobs: definitely try the ab workout i suggested and, chest and shoulder workouts will help with this area, you are at a decent weight for you're height i would say but like you say have still some gut and moobs, which happens to most people. Couldn't really say anything more specific as when i was overweight three years ago when i started i worked all body areas and lost my moobs along with fat everywhere else think general fitness on all body parts is good to aim for you know the memes like "never let friends skip leg day" etc best looks will come from overall.
    Yea, I wouldnt say Im "fat" just out of shape lol. I will definitely try those exercises thank you. Like I said, just looking to turn some fat into muscle. Not looking to go crazy.

You have plenty of weight to use, YOUR OWN.

Body-weight exercises are the least represented in home workouts, personally I would look there first and also kick in cardio whenever possible to shed some of the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I workout every other day, and i alternate my routines between cardio and muscle.

For Cardio, i run a mile, walk half a mile, then run another mile, followed by running steps, which i do at my old high school, which is running up the bleachers, hitting every step, then running down hitting every step, and i do that 5 time and then i finish off with a quarter mile sprint.

For my muscle routine, i start with pyramid pushups/crunches 1/1 2/2 3/3 4/4 up to 10/10, rest for 5 minutes, to pyramid curls/tricep extensions up to 10, then i do squats(i have a full weight set with 1300 lbs in plates) but you can use anything you can add weight to your body) 3 sets of 10 at a light weight 250lbs is what i do for that, then i finish with 3 sets of 3 at heavy weight(between 500 and 600 lbs typically) If you can not get a hold of weights or anything, get a buddy and push a car, yes a CAR. It is a great way to work your legs.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

I would suggest to take a look at Convict Conditioning. The book does the scheduling for you with the workout steps and different standards for progression. It is based on calisthenics so the only thing I had to buy was the pull up bar that goes on the door frame ($20).