Poll: Do you like my work over these two races?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb Vrykul | Arakkoa: race concepts & ideas

Vrykul

General highlights:

- Horde side
    - starting location is in Howling Fjord, the area around Utgarde Keep (which is the capital).
    - this race starts at level 63 and is meant to complete the starting area not before level 67.
    - racial mounts are bears (polar, grizzly, grey).
    - race's boss is King Ymiron, followed by his wife Queen Angerboda.

(King Ymiron and Queen Angerboda)

(Howling Fjord is the land of Vrykuls, starting area in the red cirlcle, capital marked by the star. The lore-quests will mainly explain you the origins and traditions of the Vrykuls and will make you fight the remnant forces of the Lich King)

Race bonuses:
    Northern Bones (passive) = reduces frost damage taken by 1% and the duration of chilling effects on self are reduced by 10%.
    Dragonflayer's Might (passive) = increases damage dealt versus dragonkins by 5%.
    Frozen Soul = freezes your body to reduce physical damage taken by 20% and adds a chilling effect to your melee attacks. Lasts 10 seconds, 3 minuted cooldown.

("Frozen Soul" buff effect)

Race/class combination:
    D.K. =
    V
    Druid =
    X
    Hunter = V
    (starting pet is the Shoveltusk, finally available in the boar family).
    Mage = V
    Monk = X
    Paladin = X
    Priest = X
    Rogue = V
    Shaman = V
    Warlock = V
    Warrior =
    V

Additional concepts:

(a Vrykul that doesn't like photos)

(Ladies Vrykul with lvl 70 green starting set mail)

(A female Vrykul hunter during "Frozen Soul")

(A Warrior Vrykul confused about the Pandaren race)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Arakkoa

General highlights:

- Alliance side
    - starting location is Terokkar Forest, near the area of Skettis (WARNING!: You will be part of the Skettis Exiles so the quests make you fight the evil Arakkoas of Terokk and makes you conquer Skettis which will become your capital).
    - this race starts at level 63 and is meant to complete the starting area not before level 67.
    - racial mount is the Raven Lord (variable colors).
    - race's boss are Kirrik the Awakened and Rilak the Redeemed.

(you, supported by Kirrik and Rilak, leaders of the Exiles, will have to take Skettis back and expel the evil Terokk's presence)

(Terokkar Forest is the main land of Arakkoas, starting area lvl 63 in the red circle (floating island nagrand style) and Skettis will be the capital after having completed the chain lore-quests around level 67).

Race bonuses:
    Shrewdness (passive) = expertise and haste rating increase by 1%.
    Feathered Cloak (passive) = melee attacks received have a chance to release sharp feathers which deal damage equal to 1% of your maximum health.
    Rapacious Impulse = you peck violently at the enemy's eyes causing damage equal to your agility plus disorienting him for 2 seconds. Doesn't work against mechanicals or elementals, 3 minutes cooldown.
    Ravenform = allows you to fly with the form of the raven, granting also 10% faster health and mana regeneration.

Race/class combination:

D.K. = X {they don't know what a Death Knight is}.
    Druid = V (shapes have to be appositely changed into other kind of animals, flying form shared with racial "Ravenform")
    Hunter = V
    (starting pet is the Kaliri, an owl of the birds of prey family).
    Mage = V
    Monk = X
    Paladin = X
    Priest = V
    Rogue = V
    Shaman = V
    Warlock = V
    Warrior = X

Additional concepts:

(Arakkoa's architectural style)

(an awesome Arakkoa artwork, actual models have to be, of course, replaced)

(An Arakkoa Mage trying to communicate feelings)

Thank you all about the nice comments, I'll answer to most of the reviews:

About Vrykuls
    - King Ymiron and his wife Angerboda died yes, but didn't die every boss we killed too? I mean, I don't see any other possible leader for Vrykuls, let them raise again and say sorry to everyone and give an high-five to Thrall. Ymiron was evil cause of the Lich King's control over him (false but just imagining a Blizz explanation).
    - Vrykuls to the Horde just because they really dislike Humans and have a "barbarian concept" that will fit very well into the Horde. They also live with the Valkyrs, allied with Sylvanas.

About Arakkoas
    - Arakkoas can be druid, I think, because they live in the Terokkar Forest, on tree-houses. They are also basically birds, so they're already so a kind of shapeshift! Also think at the awesome bird-style forms that can be created.
    - they can fly as racial... what's the problem? It's just like a mount with 2 sec cast.

About high level starting
    - I don't see any problem, except for the fact that their start will include lot of class' abilities together that may cause confusion to new players. So maybe they should be playable like DKs, you can roll them if you have at least a lvl 65 character (example).
    Last edited by mmoc0b7825fa66; 2013-10-22 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    both pretty cool races that i'd love to play, but i don't think they fit lorewise, especially the Arakkoa. but i'd play an Arakkoa warlock for sure!

While your Arakkoa racials are over the top, these are the two best ideas for new classes I've seen in a while.

Aside from saurok of course.

/racial mega jump. Yes, please.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2013-10-22 at 12:23 AM.

Deleted
    just imagine the alliance whining if a horde race started 10 levels higher...

I'm not really a fan of the afforementioned races and if horde gets another race before Ogres I'll be pissed. Also, starting a new race at any other level than 1 could prove quite problematic. Otherwise, nice presentation.

I think that if they introduced a "hero race", a race that starts at a high level, there would be a problem of all players making all of their new alts that race just to power to max level. The reason it works for a class is because all death knights start at the same level regardless of race, so it's an even playing field.

People who want to play warriors will definitely switch races for a level boost. People who want to play warriors won't switch class for a level boost, because then they'd cease to be a warrior.

Yes YES!!!

Give the Alliance whateverthehellthewant just gimmie VRYKUL PLEASE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Horde Vrykul? That makes no sense what so ever....
    Make it Horde Arakkoa and Alliance Vrykul and logic will be fulfilled...

Also, Vrykul don't want to be DKs? What? Noone want to be a DK, you're forced into it..
    Arrakoa are not druidic in any sense.. Doesn't make sense to let them be druids..
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2013-10-22 at 08:06 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    How i'd love to play an arrakoa !!! I've even farmed crazy to get the trinket but this is sad you can't really play with it because of it using a useless trinket slot. As a shadow priest, i think the animations would be awesome, the same for locks. These are indead dark creatures and they're devoted to that strange Old God (or Old-god like creature) in the Shadowmoon Valley. Amazing !!!! However it might sound weird but why would an entire race begin at lvl 63 /67 for the Vry'kuls ?

I love the concepts so much, and would love to play an Arakkoa! Balance wise, I'm not sure if the Vrykul getting a 4 level head start would work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vrykuls are terrible and never liked them to be honest.
    Arakkoas on the other hand are awesome and i hope to become a playable race at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should vrykul join horde?

1. What is the rational for these races to join either faction ? I don't see any...
    2. Both King Ymiron & his wife Queen Angerboda are deceased, aka they cannot lead any faction....
    3. Quoting from the classes you suggested for the Vrykul (I have a few notes):
    Race/class combination:
    D.K. = X {they don't want to have anything to do with the Lich King again}.
    Druid = V (cat form like a puma, you know it's usually called "mountain lion")
    Hunter = V (starting pet is the Shoveltusk, finally available in the boar family).
    Mage = V
    Monk = X
    Paladin = X
    Priest = X
    Rogue = V
    Shaman = V
    Warlock = V
    Warrior = V
    Most races don't want anything to do with the Lich King:
    DKs (playable) are Alliance / Horde veterans who were enslaved by the Lich King IN THE PAST and at some point afterwards regained their free will and joined back the Alliance & the Horde.
    The Vrykul race was highly exposed to the LKs influence; being a race native to northrend, it would make perfect sense for them to have Death Knights.
    They should be able to be Monks, and perhaps, as a human-like race, poses the ability to embrace the light, thus becoming either a Priest or a Paladin.
    You might wanna reconsider making them Druids, it's possible, but very unlikely.

4. Quoting from your Arakkoa list of classes, I have a few notes aswell:
    Race/class combination:
    D.K. = X {they don't know what a Death Knight is}.
    Druid = V (shapes have to be appositely changed into other kind of animals, flying form shared with racial "Ravenform")
    Hunter = V (starting pet is the Kaliri, an owl of the birds of prey family).
    Mage = V
    Monk = X
    Paladin = X
    Priest = V
    Rogue = V
    Shaman = V
    Warlock = V
    Warrior = X
    You should definelty cross-off Druid as a potential class, doesn't work for these at all.
    Making them able to play Rogue is highly questionable aswell, as they're a race very dependant on cloth armor and spellcasting, but, in theory, some Arakkoa (with perhaps a slim buid, making them agile) could become Rogues.

5. Just a personal opinion of mine: Arakkoa are an aesthetically unpleasing race, boring, dull in lore, and should never become a playable race.
    New races are not something I'm looking for in general... other things are more appealing, but maybe as an allied NPC faction, both could work (given there would be lore to justify it).

Otherwise, I like your ideas, racials can be tweaked and balanced alittle bit more.
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-10-22 at 08:50 AM.

Deleted
    I vrykul would become a playable race, I'd instantly go horde and even ditch my priest! It's the coolest race in the game so really hope to see it possible.

Deleted
    Normally when i see a thread about new races i think to myself "not this again...", but i love the idea of vrykul! Sign me up for a warrior (although id pick dk if it was available). For me they would have to start at 67, i don't think id bother leveling up again if it was lower than that as im busy these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this. Two new, interesting races that bring something new to the table. Better than the million and one racial rehash ideas i've seen.

Deleted
    Vyrkul or Arakkoa playable?

hey lets support some faction Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms and fight against their enemies! its gonna be fun to join one of the factions and work together with the mighty Varian or cool Vol'jin! who cares that they doesnt affect us in any way and who cares that they doesnt have reason to help us! lets help them! Thats sure that Horde needs stronghold in Northrend and Alliance always wanted to have Shattrath!

great idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    Vrykul
    - this race starts at level 67 and is meant to complete the starting area not before level 70.

Arakkoa

Balance anyone ? I understand you calculated the levels on the original level of the zone (howling fjord, skettis), but if these races were to be introduced, these zones would have to be changed anyway, so let's begin by making it fair and not starting a shitstorm between Alliance and Horde.

- race's boss is King Ymiron, followed by his wife Queen Angerboda.
    Either you give me a red shirt guy explanation on how they survived being killed by players, I won't accept them. Yes they're cool, but they're dead, so improbable.

Race/class combination:
    [SIZE=2]D.K. = X {they don't want to have anything to do with the Lich King again}.
    No new DK can be created to my knowledge since it was a Lich King thing, and well, he's dead. But they could be DK if they're previous DK that broke free for a reason. It's a possibility (a strong one).

Druid = V (cat form like a puma, you know it's usually called "mountain lion")[B]
    Absolutely no link to nature, except if you pull a magical reason for it. We haven't seen an inch of nature capabilities in Vrykul, and they don't have anything related to the classical elements of druidism (ancients/loa, shapeshifting, link to the dream, ...)

Arakkoa

Race bonuses:
    Shrewdness (passive) = chance to dodge and to resist spells increases by 5%.
    So they're the best tanks...

Arakkoa's Mind (passive) = spell critical strike and haste ratings chance increases by 1%.
    and they are amazing casters...

[SIZE=2]Ravenform = allows you to fly with the form of the raven.[U]
    And can fly without needing a mount like druids...

Is it not a bit OP ?

----------------
    All in all, they're not bad concepts, but they're unbalanced on many things, and there's hole in the logic sometimes.

Dalaran AND Shattrah for the Alliance? Bring it on!

I really like the Vrykul idea, but on the other hand I dislike the Arakkoa. I think they are hideous, so thats not because of your idea but just because of what I think of the arrakoa.
    I think the racials are a bit inmbalanced / overpowered.

ps. And unfortunately I'm alliance
    Last edited by Aerr; 2013-10-22 at 09:56 AM.