Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I miss when Mana wasn't like Energy

Yeah thats right, I miss those days when mana management was a vital part of playing a caster, and it helped loosen up homogenization of the casters too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I contend that mana management is far more vital now that you have a limited, unchangeable supply. As well, since all classes that used mana operated in the same way with mana how is it more homogenized now than it was then?

Deleted
    I'll talk from my personal arcane mage PoV.
    Started playing in Wotlk - all i did back then was following the set rotation till ym mana end, evo + manastone=back to full mana, rince and repeat till boss die.
    In cata it felt a bit more like mana than "power bar" - there was really managment in the begging because of how mastery worked, and then again with the tiers upgrades it just became = stack more mana to regen more mana and in the end it there wasnt mana managment again becuase the regen was enough to not drop too hard on it.
    Now in MoP it is not very important bar to track, well for the healers i think it is, but its not theyr fault, most of the time, that it drops so hard
    I think its all about the new Blizzard philosofy about the gameplay - they want to make more stuff fun, not feel like a job, or something you have look after because that reduce the level of fun.
    TBH i would be happy if mana really become like an energy bar witch im not very obligated to track so much to do my job properly, just like it is for ret/prot paladins and enhancment shamys - their mana is pure energy bar

Mana is like energy?

All the casters still have some type of mana management to them.

I'd actually like to see the removal of all resources and then just give every ability a CD that could be adjusted with haste.

Resource driven ability mechanics are an outmoded gameplay decision. Mostly because by the end of every expansion resources become irrelevant. It takes very little to reach your regen caps and break points which makes the gearing of resource regen stats quite boring. It also sets the skill level required at the start of an expansion much higher than at the end of the expansion rather than letting things remain of a consistent challenge level.

No, I'm not saying that Garry was easier to beat than Stone Dogs. Just that the fight requirements change pretty dramatically between the two levels.

I mean wasn't the 10-man world's first or second for Garry done with a single healer? That's pretty clearly not how the devs wanted or expected the fight to go and the extreme regen available at that level of gear was one of the things that made the kill possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    Yeah thats right, I miss those days when mana management was a vital part of playing a caster, and it helped loosen up homogenization of the casters too.
    Wut? Try a healer into heroic content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love it if casters could still go OOM

Of course, I'm speaking from a PvP perspective of a DK, so...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

As a Healer, I don't see how Mana Management isn't still a big deal.

Ending a fight with maximum mana is often a sign you're not doing enough throughput, and so you need to find a happy medium to balance your Mana Regeneration, with expenditure, and then also ensure you have enough left for cooldowns and emergency situations where something goes wrong.

I fail to see how that isn't proper management.

Mana is like energy? You're luck it isn't. Energy is by far the worst resource system (after focus I guess). "Not enough energy!" spam drives me insane. Can you imagine constantly having to wait to cast your spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    Mana is like energy? You're luck it isn't. Energy is by far the worst resource system (after focus I guess). "Not enough energy!" spam drives me insane. Can you imagine constantly having to wait to cast your spells?
    Since energy regenerates at a very specific rate over time (barring things like haste procs, which I tend to hate on my energy-using classes specifically because it borks up my rhythm), I don't see why you should have to spam buttons (unless you're close to energy capping in which case the error would be "I can't use that yet" not "I need more energy".
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

I miss when there wasn't some stupid restriction on mana. Just another way to water down the game.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Ending a fight with maximum mana is often a sign you're not doing enough throughput, and so you need to find a happy medium to balance your Mana Regeneration, with expenditure, and then also ensure you have enough left for cooldowns and emergency situations where something goes wrong.
    Are you really a healer? Really?

You spend the mana that's needed to keep people up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I contend that mana management is far more vital now that you have a limited, unchangeable supply. As well, since all classes that used mana operated in the same way with mana how is it more homogenized now than it was then?
    I contend that having infinite mana automatically means that mana management is not an issue.

Talking about casters here.

How 'bout that?
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2013-12-04 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Are you really a healer? Really?
    Yes, I am a Healer. What I'm saying is, if I end the fight on 90% mana with 20 Mana Tea Stacks, I'm doing it wrong. I could easily convert a lot more Spirit into Critical / Haste / Mastery for more throughput, and then finding a balance that lets me work in my Mana Tea at the right time, without letting people die due to Mana Issues is a thing I need to manage.

If you think otherwise, you're clearly not doing content that concerns Mana Management. (That's not a jab, I'm talking about the fact that in LFR / Flex / Normal you don't need to get a precise level of Spirit / Haste / Mastery / Crit)

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Yes, I am a Healer. What I'm saying is, if I end the fight on 90% mana with 20 Mana Tea Stacks, I'm doing it wrong. I could easily convert a lot more Spirit into Critical / Haste / Mastery for more throughput, and then finding a balance that lets me work in my Mana Tea at the right time, without letting people die due to Mana Issues is a thing I need to manage.

If you think otherwise, you're clearly not doing content that concerns Mana Management. (That's not a jab, I'm talking about the fact that in LFR / Flex / Normal you don't need to get a precise level of Spirit / Haste / Mastery / Crit)
    I can't say in heroic content I see people reforging fight by fight. Usually you should be building with a margin and if things go smoother (and when on farm content) so what if you end on 90-100% mana?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I can't say in heroic content I see people reforging fight by fight. Usually you should be building with a margin and if things go smoother (and when on farm content) so what if you end on 90-100% mana?
    I don't reforge fight by fight, but I have a level of Spirit I am happy to work with, and that took some time to develop that system to work for me. If you're finishing a Farm Boss on 90% mana, that's fine, but if you're dealing with a progression fight, you should really be ending the fight out of mana, putting through some DPS where needed, etc ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd love it if casters could still go OOM

Of course, I'm speaking from a PvP perspective of a DK, so...
    Casters can still run low on mana.
    As a PvP DK i don't like the idea of casters possibly being OOM to the ground, or all the arena battles against them would sum to holding them unting they're oom for free win.

Deleted
    I would love for my manabar to regen lile energy.. I like how the mana management is now, as a resto druid. Not having an infinite mana pool puts the strain on me to use the right spell at the right time. If I have to spam spells to keep people alive and then I go oom and cant for example keep the tank up I let the person I spammed know that they cant stand in the fucking fire. And ofc you should hvave some margin regarding the mana but you cant let it affect your throughput to much. Doesnt matter if I have enough mana but my heals aretfo weak, also vice verca - its a fine balance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    I don't. It was clunky. For healers to wait 5 seconds during boss wait to start regenerating mana while others healed. Why should melees have infinite resources and casters not?