Gearing offspec - looking for quick advice

I was playing a healer spec some time before, then made that character exclusively DPS, and now decided to get back to healing as an offspec. My DPS gear is ilvl 536, most of it is of little use to healer, and I don't like to reforge / regem / reenchant continuously. I am raiding LFR and sometimes flex, no normals or heroics.

Here is what I am planning to do to gear the healing offspec:

* buy the healing variant of the legendary cloak (obvious),
    * farm tokens on Timeless Isle for 496 pieces (used both guaranteed Burdens already, but will use any new ones on healing gear as well),
    * raid SoO (LFR+flex) as DPS, with the desired drops set to healing first (can I switch gear preference between bosses, by the way?),
    * kill Ordos and one of the Celestials every week, with the desired drops set to healing.

I am also capping valor, obviously, but using valor to buy 522 pieces seems like a waste. I might still do it for one missing piece. Maybe...

Is there anything else I am missing? What would you do if you were to gear the offspec?

PS: Can I set gear preference for heroic scenarios?? That's 7 chances at 516 a week!
    Last edited by rda; 2013-12-04 at 11:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just run flex/normals and set loot spec on my OS and roll in normals for OS gear.
    So I just raid on my MS till my OS set is complete.

A bit more background please.

If you were, say a resto druid and you wanted to play balance, then you'd probably be better off using your healing gear (minus trinkets) for balance over gear substantially lower ilvl.

If you was going from resto to say feral it would be a different story.

You can change your loot specialization whenever you want -out of combat-, hell you can change it for each boss if you really want>

When you are raiding start to roll OS on pieces that are better itemized, and also roll on duplicates of items you already have. That way you can gem, reforge & enchant them properly.

Aside from that, you've pretty much said everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    * raid SoO (LFR+flex) as DPS, with the desired drops set to healing first (can I switch gear preference between bosses, by the way?),
    PS: Can I set gear preference for heroic scenarios?? That's 7 chances at 516 a week!
    Yes, and Yes to those questions.