Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Garrosh 10m Normal List of Tactics

This is a bit close to another few threads but anyway...

This is not about picking which is the best strategy etc I just want a full list of all the strategies done. If you can add any different strats for the phases (123)

This will help me cherry pick the strat that will cater to our stronger points (and away from the weaker ones!)

If you treat the room as split in half because of the Ironstars then you could say each tactic below can be copied on the other side (mainly for phase 1 and pulling the boss and the adds that come)

Benefits to the throne side, you can use the throne area (desecrates), you can pull the boss and get into position quicker so more dps on the boss.
    Benefits to other side are that the tanks can collect the adds (phase1) easier as healers are not close to the spawn points.

You can run with 2 or 3 healers - generally it seems accepted it is easier with 2 healers due to killing adds / transitioning quicker so you dont have to deal with as many empowered abilities.

You can 1 tank the fight - can roughly do the same strats as below but need a pally (dps or healer) with "Hand of Purity" to negate the tank dot damage in later phases - you will probably need 3 healers for this. On the transition when the groups need to split you need something that can tank the other add (rogue with evasion etc) I am not sure but could all the raid go one side kill the add then come around to the other and kill it as well?

Not seen this one but could you 3 tank it with 2 healers - if you dont have an atonement healer then you get more dps this way (than 3 healing it) and its probably very easy to heal the tanks in phase one as 2 tanks can share all the adds. Phase 2/3 could 1 tank pick up all the enpowered whirlwind adds so you dont have to kill any of them? (even if you get 3 whirlwinds (3 sets of adds) - I dont think these adds hit too hard,as a healer i can let one beat on me while i kill it) or you could kill a couple of easy target adds each go and let the tank run around with the rest? Would be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience of 3 tanking this fight?

Phase 1
    One of the normal tactics is tank the boss around the middle and have 2 stack points for range - drop desecrate move to other - kill weapon. Kill one engineer that would send the wheel down on your stack points / knock back adds into fire. Continue to end of phase 1.

Similar to above with one stack point and after desecrate stack on boss - kill weapon and move out to the same point again. Engineer is the same as above.

You can have all range stack or just 3 players (minimum number needed for desecrate weapon to target them) - whilst having 3 stack is better for dps you have to make sure all other players are very close to garrosh (as in on top of him) to make sure you dont get desecrate on a melee at max melee range etc.

You can do any of the above strats and kill both engineers, it saves some damage from the ironstar explosion but means you have to send two dps to kill engineerss and you have to kill the adds yourself rather than knocking them back into the ironstars (so less dps on the boss).

All Transitions - get upto Garrosh asap - collect the buff on as many peeps as possible - not got much to say for these. Group1 left 2 right if needed. Stack boss for aoe heals. Get him down and back to next phase.

Phase 2

Similar positioning as phase one - get the range group ready for desecrate - some guilds kill the weapons and some spread them around the room / throne area and dont kill them.

All stack for Mind controls - interput / stun / fear etc

Whirling Corruptions (& Empowered) - all move away from the boss (bar tanks probably) to stack point - heal through it. On empowered move away to designated area and spread - move out of purple swirls - kill your add asap.

Then range group get ready for another weapon - repeat repeart to next transition.

Transition as before.

Phase 3

Desecrate placed well - do not kill it. Stack MC (can only interupt now) / move out spread for empowered whirling ....... at this point you can kill the adds or what seems the best scenario is the off tank picks up all the adds and dps just concentrate boss (and get into position for the next weapon. How hard do these adds hit - could 1 tank take multiple waves of them (thinking 3 tanks here again) - could you have a 3rd tank collect them all and the boss tank taunts them one at a time for the dps to aoe down. Means a bit more work for the tank but makes it easier for all and less messy?

I know (or think I know) what the best tactic is that most guides but if anyone has seen / done any other tricks / different strategies I am just trying to get a list of them. So anything different than above please reply

Thanks

My raid never has the ranged stack on the tanks for Mind Control.

We found it's less of a DPS loss and chaotic to have our ranged stay at ranged. Ranged can easily still clear melee Mind Controls and if we have 2 ranged get MC'd, it's very easy for a rogue to shadowstep out or a warrior to heroic leap. Easier than all healers and ranged running in and out every MC. Our's MC's never get off using this strat

Since you are a healer, you can try 1 heal 2 tank zerg. This strat means you will only get 1 empowered WW and is easily mitigated with raid CD + personal CDs. Also, only 1 empowered WW means all dps can tunnel on the boss and don't even bother switching to kill adds. I like this strat a lot better and the kills are much cleaner as well.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Deleted
    3 tanks is a waste on Garrosh and I don't see any benefit in it.
    Just use cooldowns as soon as he casts his scream (150% dmg buff on the adds iirc) and go with 1 or 2 tanks depending on how much your tank can handle. Think two is easier since you won't wipe if the tank messes up once.

Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    Since you are a healer, you can try 1 heal 2 tank zerg.
    Surely you can't solo tank phase one unless you vastly outgear it?

For phase 3, have the off tank pick up the adds and have someone pop army of the dead. Pop a defensive CD until the second wave hits, then use hungering cold on them. That's what we did on our first kill last night. Seemed to work well. By the time the adds start wailing on you again, boss should be dead.

Some variations on tactics I've seen/used that may or may not help:

Stacklol Will require geared healers and DPS that don't pad: The raid simply stacks on top of the boss for the entire of the first phase, the adds naturally will come to the boss. Weapon gets dropped on top of the boss at the raid and the raid uses the weapon to cleave off the adds and the boss (you may need to assign someone to single target it if gear/comp isn't good enough to cleave it down. Engineers are as normal.

Pro's: Big DPS increase, by cleaving the weapons you not only gain DPS from not having to switch to it, you also lose no DPS from moving every time a weapon spawns.

Con's: You will need decent healers as the damage is somewhat high (not insane), you will also need DPS that actually DPS it since you'll wipe if it doesn't die quickly.

Min/Max: From phase one onwards you can get away not killing any weapons, have the ranged stack on one person (mark them) and just walk to the side of each desecrate (obviously running back to the boss for things like whirling and MC's). Ideally you want to have each desecrate side by side round the entire edge of the room. The tank will need to move the boss in range of the ranged whilst they do this.

Pro's: You lose 0 damage to DPS'ing the weapons.

Con's: Requires much co-ordination and reduces the size of the room you can utilize.

Of course I'd always recommend stacking on the boss to break MC's. AoE interrupts are just too powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by omni View Post

For phase 3, have the off tank pick up the adds and have someone pop army of the dead. Pop a defensive CD until the second wave hits, then use hungering cold on them. That's what we did on our first kill last night. Seemed to work well. By the time the adds start wailing on you again, boss should be dead.
    It's solo heal strat not solo tank. We had our spriest going disc to solo heal while both of our main healers go dps. We didn't have any heroic kills at that time. Normal Garrosh's hardest part is handling multiple empowered WWs. But using this strat, you will get 0 empowered WW during p2 and only 1 empowered WW during p3. The concept is scary but it really isn't so bad.

A few "should happens" for this strat:
    1. everyone should get the dmg reduction buff in transition phases
    2. you need 1 off heal for split transition phase
    3. you need to always group up for MCs during p2 and p3
    4. you need some raid CDs for p1 when iron star explodes
    5. dps cannot pad meter on adds during p1
    6. you should have hero/lust for p3 burn

Concept is scary but it really makes the fight much simpler to manage for our raid.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerxese View Post
    My raid never has the ranged stack on the tanks for Mind Control.

We found it's less of a DPS loss and chaotic to have our ranged stay at ranged. Ranged can easily still clear melee Mind Controls and if we have 2 ranged get MC'd, it's very easy for a rogue to shadowstep out or a warrior to heroic leap. Easier than all healers and ranged running in and out every MC. Our's MC's never get off using this strat
    Thanks - dps increase is always good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    It's solo heal strat not solo tank. We had our spriest going disc to solo heal while both of our main healers go dps. We didn't have any heroic kills at that time. Normal Garrosh's hardest part is handling multiple empowered WWs. But using this strat, you will get 0 empowered WW during p2 and only 1 empowered WW during p3. The concept is scary but it really isn't so bad.

A few "should happens" for this strat:
    1. everyone should get the dmg reduction buff in transition phases
    2. you need 1 off heal for split transition phase
    3. you need to always group up for MCs during p2 and p3
    4. you need some raid CDs for p1 when iron star explodes
    5. dps cannot pad meter on adds during p1
    6. you should have hero/lust for p3 burn

Concept is scary but it really makes the fight much simpler to manage for our raid.
    Thanks - would be nice to try but we have 2 healers always in the team (they do not do dps) - one tank strat might work but we have to have at least 2 heals.

Good alternative strat though!

Quote Originally Posted by omni View Post

I solo tanked P1 at about 550 I believe then we had our DK solo tank P2 + P3 when we got 25 energy and I would kite adds (Brewmaster Monk)

We keep getting stuck once we get to Empowered Whirlwinds. 3+ of them bee line for the tank(s) and then it's a bitch to get them off him to kill them on their own. This is fucking us over EVERY time. A Warlock can get a huge Chaos Bolt off and it'll still just ignore them. I can Mind Blast and it'll ignore me.

Tanks: Protection Paladin, Guardian Druid.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    We keep getting stuck once we get to Empowered Whirlwinds. 3+ of them bee line for the tank(s) and then it's a bitch to get them off him to kill them on their own. This is fucking us over EVERY time. A Warlock can get a huge Chaos Bolt off and it'll still just ignore them. I can Mind Blast and it'll ignore me.

use hard taunts
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted

./cancelaura righteous fury (really - if your paladin hasn't figured this out yet...)

Tell your druid to NOT heal himself unless ABSOLUTELY necessary when adds are spawning. And tell them not to ever cleave those adds.

And don't forget the adds can be taunted. Most classes have some sort of taunt they can utilize to split the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    use hard taunts
    So the single DK can grip them 1 off, that doesn't help when the other 3-4 still head straight for them. I guess the few people that can stun can do that, but not everyone has a stun.

So the single DK can grip them 1 off, that doesn't help when the other 3-4 still head straight for them. I guess the few people that can stun can do that, but not everyone has a stun.
    what is your raid comp? im fairly certain you have more then 1 person with a hard taunt.

oh and FYI, grip isnt a hard taunt.

what is your raid comp? im fairly certain you have more then 1 person with a hard taunt.

oh and FYI, grip isnt a hard taunt.
    Shadow Priest
    Destro Lock
    Destro Lock
    Enh Shaman
    Frost DK
    Ele Shaman
    Prot Paladin
    Guardian Druid
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest

I find it easier to use the BL after the first Empowered Whirlwind to push the boss to p3 before the second Empowered Whirlwind.
    Most of the guides I've seen say it's better to use it at the beginning of p3, but if that means you have to deal with an extra Empowered Whirlwind in p2, I really doubt it's a good tradeoff.

Shadow Priest
    Destro Lock
    Destro Lock
    Enh Shaman
    Frost DK
    Ele Shaman
    Prot Paladin
    Guardian Druid
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest
    both locks, the DK, and the resto druid have hard taunts.

both shamans and the DK have soft taunts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    I find it easier to use the BL after the first Empowered Whirlwind to push the boss to p3 before the second Empowered Whirlwind.
    Most of the guides I've seen say it's better to use it at the beginning of p3, but if that means you have to deal with an extra Empowered Whirlwind in p2, I really doubt it's a good tradeoff.
    I think dealing with Empowered Whirl in p3 is worse than dealing with it in p2, plus using lust in p3 makes you have to deal with less Empowered MCs ontop of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I think dealing with Empowered Whirl in p3 is worse than dealing with it in p2, plus using lust in p3 makes you have to deal with less Empowered MCs ontop of that.
    Without lust, you still won't get more than one Empowered Whirl in p3. And I guess even with lust, you still have to deal with at least one Empowered Whirl in p3, no?

I agree that you have to deal with one more Empowered MC, though. But I'd trade an Empowered Whirl against an Empowered MC any day.
    Anyway, on our kill, we ignored it because the boss was at ~2% or so, so not much of a worry.
    With slightly less dps, it may be a problem, but with slightly less dps you wouldn't have enough dps to push Garrosh in p3 after the first Empowered whirl anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    both locks, the DK, and the resto druid have hard taunts.

both shamans and the DK have soft taunts.
    They removed Dark Command from DPS DKs at the start of MoP, Shammies need to imbue twist to taunt, and the locks need to demon twist to taunt. Not exactly reliable during this short window. Grip is arguably more reliable during this phase because unglyphed it pulls the add, does a 3 second fixate, and then the add has the travel time to the tank.

Also a note: A hunter's Distracting Shot can and will fail on the adds if the tank has enough hate...
    Last edited by Rizendragon; 2013-12-06 at 07:12 AM.