Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The huge imbalance of Blood Elves is definitely known by me as a Horde player, most of the Horde on my server are Blood Elf for some reason. While I'd love to pick the brains of players who choose to play as them over every other race in the Horde the reasons seem pretty obvious to me.

Firstly I think it's because they're the prettiest race of the Horde going by the usual concept of beauty most people are brought up believing in, particularly girls. While it not might appeal to most males the idea of playing as a barbie-esque elf or a effeminate boy-toy is probably too hard to resist for most female players when there's no other real option if you want to play with your Horde friends. The same goes for Alliance and Human/Night Elf females.

I feel this concept of beauty extends to the role-playing aspect of the game as those who don't feel they're beautiful in real life want to identify with what they idealize and want to be, and that's absolutely fine. Personally I couldn't be happier with my real life appearance and I feel no need to play as a traditionally beautiful character. I play a Troll.

From a lore perspective I think Blood Elves are pretty cool though I appreciate High Elves a whole lot more. It really just is the difference between purity and corruption even though the Blood Elves never asked for Arthas to fuck their whole nation up. I also see a lot of Blood Elf Death Knights around and I like the concept of that race/class combination. There would bound to have been plenty of elves risen by the Scourge after their invasion of Quel'thalas and Archerus is in the perfect location for it to make sense for them to start their journey there.

On the concept of playable High Elves honestly it would make more sense for the Blood Elves to be cured of their corruption (how many years has it been since we took back the Sunwell again?) and for the Silver Covenant to return to Silvermoon. Literally the only thing Blizzard needs to do is give players the option for Blue eye color and move some npcs around. Not a big deal and it makes sense from a lore perspective. They'd still be Blood Elves, just purified ones.

Actually Alliance can have High Elves if Blizzard can think of a really, I mean really really supercool race for the Horde that people would want to play. So the OP is saying Blizzard can never come up with such a race from now till eternity is a huge assumption with no backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh please, if they made high elves in the alliance, all blood elf players would faction change in a snap. they only play belves because there the only 'pretty' horde race.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by NotFunny008 View Post
    Actually Alliance can have High Elves if Blizzard can think of a really, I mean really really supercool race for the Horde that people would want to play. So the OP is saying Blizzard can never come up with such a race from now till eternity is a huge assumption with no backup.
    Whoa, that was such an amazing leap of logic. That was staggering. I can't keep up with your intellect.
    The post that Blizzard banned me for:
    2014-11-28 19:55:26 [Trade - City] Potassiumgluconate: female dwarf butts are the best thing that this expansion has given us.
    Butts are a touchy subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    oh please, if they made high elves in the alliance, all blood elf players would faction change in a snap. they only play belves because there the only 'pretty' horde race.
    I agree, that would probably happen. I'm not so sure I think it's a problem though, horde being mostly blood elves is really weird to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't understand why High Elves are such a popular candidate for a new playable race. Even if High Elves had a completely different model from the Blood Elves, they would still be really similar in appearance because they are the same race just with political and minor physical differences. Their lore is interesting but it's mostly the same lore as the Blood Elves'. Adding them as a subrace to Night Elves would be fine, and probable in the future, but their own unique race would just be really boring and uninspired.

It would be nice if High Elves were more involved in the game because they have always been important members of the Alliance lore-wise, and Night Elves being able to be mages opened up doors for High Elves being able to be more involved, but that doesn't mean they have to be a new playable race. Honestly I'd rather see Alliance get Murlocs/Gorlocs over High Elves, at least that would bring something new rather than a third elf race that's nearly identical to one we already have (even if it's on the opposing faction)

First: blizzard gives a jack for faction balance - there are plenty of unbalanced realms to prove that.

Second: If you take a close look on your race %, you will note that the Horde has a more balanced race spread (30% elf, 15% tauren, 17% undead, 14% orc, 12% troll). Alliance has a huge gap between the races (30% humans, 19% nelf, 13% Worgen/draenei, 8.5% gnomes).

Third: not all people play a race because they have cool looks. A good chunk of humans are humans because of pvp racial.

I am not sure blizzard didn´t like the idea of a neutral race, because as it seems pandas are evenly spread between Alliance and the Horde.

As i see the elven neutrality will one come if Blizzard decides to make ogres a playable race. Once that happend, the "natural step" is that the elvens become neutral. Thats because there is no other race with the same appeal avaliable (nagas have mount issues, the birdfolk are just the birdfolk).

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I agree, that would probably happen. I'm not so sure I think it's a problem though, horde being mostly blood elves is really weird to me.
    It definitely is weird that the second-to-greatest black sheep in the Horde is the face of its playerbase. There's some pretty big theme issues going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    It definitely is weird that the second-to-greatest black sheep in the Horde is the face of its playerbase. There's some pretty big theme issues going on there.
    Blood Elves were put on the Horde to give them a pretty race so players would roll Horde. Horde was outnumbered like 70/30 back in the classic days.

Why would there need to be a "faction equivalent for the humans?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Destroy faction balance? There are already more people playing Horde than Alliance.
    Untrue, read the OP
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Blood Elves were put on the Horde to give them a pretty race so players would roll Horde. Horde was outnumbered like 70/30 back in the classic days.
    Not sure this is true, the OP actually says otherwise as well.

I don't think the OP knows what the word "debunked" actually means.

I actually agree with the OP that BEs will never be neutral and probably HEs will never be in game, but his reasons are not as sound as he thinks they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromu View Post

As i see the elven neutrality will one come if Blizzard decides to make ogres a playable race. Once that happend, the "natural step" is that the elvens become neutral. Thats because there is no other race with the same appeal avaliable (nagas have mount issues, the birdfolk are just the birdfolk).
    Responded to your main points on the original post, but this part just boggles me.

Why does Ogres make neutral elves a natural step?
    The post that Blizzard banned me for:
    2014-11-28 19:55:26 [Trade - City] Potassiumgluconate: female dwarf butts are the best thing that this expansion has given us.
    Butts are a touchy subject.

I agree it'll never happen, but I don't think it's for your reason. There's simply no reason for it to happen. Blood elves are high elves, and both factions already have an elf race. They aren't going to add another. If someone prefers the Horde elves, they can roll Horde. And even if they did, a ton of Alliance would whine that they got a rehash while Horde got something new, so there's that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Untrue, read the OP
    I did. I don't trust the data.

Deleted
    Finally someone who brings logic here, well done OP. I have nothing against high elves, but it is true that adding them to the Alliance would destroy faction balance. No other race can counterract this unless you also added humans to the Horde. So, the only option possible would be something like lesser vrykul to the Horde and high elves to Alliance, but that won't happen ever.

Deleted
    I really don't think that it would disturb faction balance by any significant amount. There are much better reasons against adding the High Elves.

I must say, the pomposity of your OP really inspires me to be a worse kind of person.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I did. I don't trust the data.
    I would trust his data over your no data post.